Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Edwin the Duck is an iPhone-connected rubber duckie that was first introduced to the world in 2014 via Kickstarter. The Kickstarter campaign failed to get enough interest and didn't reach its funding goal, but Edwin's creators, who had a vision of a better rubber duckie, didn't give up. Edwin was shown off at CES in January of 2015, made it into production, and began shipping later in 2015.

Edwin caught a lucky break in December of 2015, winding up in the Apple Online Store, a sign of Apple's approval. Edwin is also now sold in other major retail locations, like Best Buy, where he's been getting some positive reviews from parents and kids alike.

edwininbox-800x600.jpg

When we at MacRumors saw Edwin the Duck on Apple's site, we scoffed at the prospect of a $100 rubber duckie, which led to an invitation to try Edwin for ourselves to see whether or not it's worth shelling out $100 for an iPhone-connected duck.

edwinmain-800x600.jpg

As something of a toy enthusiast, I gladly accepted the challenge. I'll say up front that I have no children to gauge a child's response to Edwin, but even as an adult, I was charmed by Edwin's design and impressed with his range of features. Edwin is cute, but he isn't perfect - there are some definite shortcomings, which I'll cover in my review.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Edwin the Duck Plays Music, Lights Up and Interacts With Kids for $100

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't have kids of my own, but I do have an 18 month old niece that I see every few weeks. Pretty sure the content would be plenty for her.

I think you should play with a few more $100 toys for 2 year olds before you consider Edwin to be lacking in the content department - Edwin seems to have a lot more bang for your buck than most other toys aimed at 2 year olds.

I definitely wouldn't give a 2 year old any iOS device while in a bath, but it seems like a fine idea to give them any of my old iOS devices (a 4S, a 3GS) that don't get touched anymore when they want to play with Edwin outside of the bath.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I stopped at the part where it suggested I hand my iOS device over to a 2-year-old playing in the bath.

Same here... Guessing this is a ploy to force/trick people into replacing their iPhone or other Apple device either out of pocket or via phone insurance lol

The iPhone doesn't need to go into the bathtub. The bath time song can be played while the iPhone is on the counter or something -- a child just wouldn't see the animations.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
The iPhone doesn't need to go into the bathtub. The bath time song can be played while the iPhone is on the counter or something -- a child just wouldn't see the animations.

Thanks that makes more sense and seems far more practical. Definitely would want to keep an iOS device as far from water as possible ( at least till we actually get a waterproof/water resistant model )

NickD73

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
This is what happens when Johnny Ive AND Tim Cook put their heads together. Apple stock back to $130 next week.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As a fairly new parent with a toddler and another on the way, I can see why this failed on Kickstarter. It's not even completely about money—it just seems rather pointless. My mom loves wasting money and even she wouldn't buy this for her grandbaby.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
April 1st is still a few months away...

No ****ing wonder this thing failed on kickstarter. Why did anyone think the world needed a "smart duck"? There needs to be a serious re-evaluation on what is worth considering "smartening" these days.
[doublepost=1452298139][/doublepost]
No kidding. How many phones are going to end up in the bath water when the parent isn't looking? :oops:
I think we've figured out why the iPhone 7 will have no 3.5mm port: Because it makes the phone water-proof enough to be compatible with Edwin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.