Review "Moore 9/11 Film, notes iPods on tanks"

Discussion in 'Community' started by big, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big macrumors 65816

big

Just a small note here of Gi's using iPods on their tanks to play music... really its a review on the Michael Moore's film, and included a small blur about it. As we just received the film here in Huntsvegas I can not attest to it, anyone who has seen the film, can you confirm this?

GI's & iPods

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen a few articles in magazines showing the soldiers with their iPods. Pretty cool if you asked me. I'm pretty sure one of them was in a MacAddict, but I think there was something in Time too.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I saw the movie.

I can attest there is a section in the movie where the people say they plug their iPod into the Audio Box (don't remember correct terminology) and they get it through their headsets in real-live situations.

Yes, the iPod is now used in real life in Iraq. who would have thought?

4. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

That's awesome, I about dropped when I read "Ride of the Valkyries"

5. letterbox macrumors regular

Does anybody else think that it is horrible that they are putting music into soldiers headphones while in combat? This only further desentizes them to their surroundings, similar to gamers listening to music (which they don't do...atleast my friends don't b/c they are too busy concentrating on their games). War is desensitized enough with cruise missles, aircraft carriers and tanks, it won't be long until we have the Super Soldiers (can't find the link right now...).

6. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I completely agree, if people are listening to "the roof is on fire" while they are busy destrying a place and killing people, I can imagine that it would practically make the whole act of war feel to them like a game, rather than the awful truth that it really is. I think that if they are going to go around and kill people, they shouldn't get to compltely drone it out with music...

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont see a problem with soldiers listening to music. they are human too, and under a lot of stress, why shouldnt they be able to relieve some stress with music.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Or worse. It wouldn't so much desensitize them as it would overstimulate them, making think that killing and destroying is nothing more than the ultimate adrenaline rush, leading to more senseless and wanton destruction and death.

No one is saying that they shouldn't listen to music. But when they are in combat I don't think they should be pumping "the roof is on fire." :rolleyes:

9. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I think that listening to music can actually help to break the monotony and keep them more alert during long periods of transport to the battlefield or waiting for other units. Most of their time is spent travelling to and from areas where combat is likely to occur.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well each person has their personal taste, if someone wants to listen to beethovens 5th or the roof is on fire, or highway to hell its up to them. these soliders are putting their lives on the line, i think that entitles them to listen to whatever they want, maybe an audio book hehe

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And that was the point that Moore was making. Do we see a new collection on iTMS? "Music to Kill By"?

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ooo- lets see how quick we can get this one moved to political discussion :rolleyes:

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry that is not my intent. If you saw F911, it might have a bit more meaning. The talk of the soldiers being pumped up by the music as they went through Iraq, was stomach churning for me.

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha, chip- not cause of you- just cause i think it will be tough for this thread to stay on topic is all... we've all been bad about this in the past. its easy to get sidetracked when dealing with issues that border on the political...

one question i have... did the army specifically design the tanks input for music? or was it originally intended to serve some other purpose?

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well thanks, I did wrestle with my post before submitting.

Trying to bring this more on topic. I wonder how today's military differs from the WWII and Korean War military and the bringing along personal items?

I wonder with the prisoner abuses, will the military restrict photographic/video gear of personal nature? And with F911 will the "piping" of music be limited?

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

so, should they be listening to 'seek and destroy' or maybe '!!!'?

how long till we see camo iPods?

peace.

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Are they listening to the music while they're actually in combat? I can't imagine that, especially with Apple's earbuds ;). I can't imagine they'd think it was like a video game, I mean, they only have one life there. I don't know, I have zero military experience myself, so I guess I wouldn't know.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually they found a way to connect the iPod to the internal communications system as I understood it from the movie.

19. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I was mechanized infantry in the Army a while back. Although we didn't play music in our Bradleys. Not really allowed. But a lot of us had walkmans and some track crews may sneak small boomboxes onto the track.
    I was just waiting for the day someone would play 'Symphony of Destruction' by Megadeth while we were on maneuvers. :D

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I was going to say, just because you saw it in f911 doesn't mean that the entire military does it. You have to remember that one of Michael Moore's purpose of the film was to make the US and it's military look bad.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Nope, never said that I thought that the entire military does it.

I think you missed the point in the movie. Even if only a handful feel the way the soldiers shown, that is too many. Also Moore does have a respect of the military, witnessed by his talk with the mother with a daughter that was in Desert Storm I think.

Also the military doesn't need Moore's help looking bad, they do that well enough on their own.

22. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yes I'm sure that not everyone does it, and, as the movie was good enough to point out, there are plenty of people in the army who DO find the experience sickening. The problem, to me at least, is more in the fact that people do it at all, and that the army has made it possible for them to, and has no problems with it. Kind of like the scene in apocalypse now with the helecopters playing music through their speakers while they shoot up a Vietnamese village...

23. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

War is hell. Sometimes it can be insanely beautiful; and that beauty does speak to a corner of our bestial souls. Like it or not.
    Don't you like going to see action/adventure movies? Even if it is all make-believe? It still is great entertainment is it not? The destruction, mayhem, and body count. Am I the only one who has felt like a hypocrite for enjoying it?
    It has only been until recently that nations have adopted ideals and constitutions as their basis for existence. Whereas history proves that it has been the sharing of enemies that was the basis for existence for tribes, cities, and nations. That intellectual leap that gave our ancient ancestors the ability to develop WEAPONS to wipe out rival tribes. Thus the race was on. To this day.
    As someone once said, our capacity for destruction has outstripped out capacity to reason.
    And history also proves that warriors are and always will be more revered than intellectuals.
    But now that is reversing. And thankfully so.

24. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning! It smells like... victory."

25. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

I work at CompUSA in Little Rock, Ark and when our soldiers were getting ready to leave they came in like crazy buying ipods, no joke, It was during the christmas shortage and right and left there would be another one trying to get an ipod for his trip to Iraq.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.