Review of Apple iPod touch: The Best iPod Ever

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by madmaxmedia, Sep 12, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp

5 stars!

I hope this post is okay by the rules, it's a 3-page review, so I just included some teaser snippets.

2. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Good post, thanks. This is also a good sign these babies may start shipping soon:D

SHadoW

3. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I wish the review would have commented more about the calendar and the contacts. I'm excited though :D

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

I was thinking the same thing... ;)

5. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I keep hoping that I'll get an email that my touch has been shipped :D

6. macrumors 6502a

that was a good review. i reckon this time next week they'll be shipping. they usually only bring out the review right before they are shipping so maybe we'll be getting a flood of reviews pretty soon. Waiting to here from walt.

7. macrumors member

My wallet thanks PC Mag for making it much lighter. Unless something bad comes up about the touch I'm getting one.

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

Also, this was interesting-

In their slideshow, they have the 2 side by side, and they do look different in the photo:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=214617&s=1612&a=215102&po=7,00.asp?p=y

9. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hm, yes, compared to the iPodtouch the iPhone does look (Ever so slightly) washed out.

10. macrumors 6502

I'm surprised this article didn't get more attention here.

I can't wait for more reviews to be released, as it's the next best thing (in my opinion) to having the thing in my own hands :)

That said, at this point I feel like I probably know more about the touch then any reviewer, i know the feature set relativly intimitly, and I've used the iPhone enough to be familiar with the various aspects of the interface.

Hell, I could probably write a 5 page review of the thing myself :)

11. macrumors 601

gloss

This was good to hear. After all the negativity surrounding the device here, it's nice to have a little perspective.

Yeah, you can't edit your calendar entries, but hey, it's still the best PMP on the planet.

12. macrumors G3

clevin

don't get me wrong, for what it can do as a PMP, its very good (maybe some users have problems with the capacity and file manager).

the real question is, would it be a good PDA? It sure has the potential: a slim down OS which is 400MB+ in size. a large screen, a wi-fi. But now, the only usable part is a near-desktop-level browser, nothing else.

We shall wait and see how this turns out. And if eventually it won't be improved as a PDA, its not because of difficulties in technology or lacking of interests from users. Its purely a market strategy that is out of greed.

13. macrumors 6502

All market strategies are "out of greed".

And all companies (that aren't broke) use market strategies.

So I miss your point?

14. macrumors G3

clevin

no, you didn't miss nothing, I could add, apple's greed in this marketing strategy of iPod touch is as ugly as it gets.

its easy to bashing industry altogether, while the fact is I only interested talking about the product I may put my hand on.

Is M$ greed? yes, is AOL stupid? yes, but I didn't buy nothing from them. So I have no interest bashing them in this post.

15. thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, it is not a good PDA out-of-the-box. But the likelihood that it cannot be improved thoughs hacks and mods seems remote, given how much progress has already been made with the identical-OS running iPhone.

16. macrumors G3

clevin

exactly, I said "we shall wait and see". of course, an official policy of openness would encourage developers and benefit users more.

17. macrumors bot

Review of Apple iPod touch: The Best iPod Ever

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: Review of Apple iPod touch: The Best iPod Ever
    Description:: When we tested the Apple iPhone back in June, one thing was very clear: Minus the pesky phone part, the iPhone was the best portable media player we’d ever seen. The iPod touch is just that—and so much more. It takes all the wonderful things about the iPhone—cover flow, multi-touch interface, a luminous screen—and adds so much more, like Wi-Fi access to the iTunes store. All told, the touch has earned PC Mag’s highest rating (5 out of 5) and is our new Editors’ Choice in portable media players.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

18. macrumors bot

MacRumors

PCMag's Apple iPod Touch Review

[​IMG]

PCMag posts a review of the Apple iPod Touch, which is expected to be released later this month. The review is quite favorable and starts with:
    The author describes the iPod Touch as "much skinnier" than the iPhone, a bit shorter and a hair wider. They cover many of the features and focus on some of the new features introduced with the iPod Touch. The Wifi iTunes store appears to work quite well with a full iTunes experience in your hand. The Starbucks integration has not yet been activated (due October 2nd).

One new feature in the iPod Touch that was previously demonstrated in the Guided Tour video is the "double click" on the home button.
    The review also provides a final answer on the editing abilities on the Touch. There is no email, and no way to edit or enter Calendar events. Contacts, however, can be edited on the iPod Touch. The review concludes favorably however:
    Article Link

19. macrumors member

The author describes the iPhone Touch as "much skinnier" than the iPhone,
    u mean ipod touch

[fixed]

20. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice to finally learn the truth to some of those features.

21. macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I'm excited!

I can't wait to get one, and then for the hacks to come out so I can have an iCal editor in my pocket! (My Blackberry sucks at that, only one calendar with no color coding) Nice favorable review, good to know it's worth the money :)

(and it's worth the mention that I posted this about 2 hours ago, mistakenly an hour after MadMaxMedia posted it [admin edit: merged threads]) (:)p))

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

23. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I wish they'd make a larger one. It may seem selfish and unrealistic, but I could see using this just to browse the web on my couch or on a bed. I could use it as an ebook reader add tv capability and I'm good to go. A 10 to 13 inch screen wold fit the bill nicely.

24. macrumors 6502

hopefully in a very short time after the shipment someone will find a way to port some programs from iPhone to Touch. I do want that note function too as well as stocks and weathers.

25. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I have a feeling that the good reviews are going to come thick and fast -- the problem for me and many others now is going to be: Should I get an iPhone or the touch??? I guess the touch is a safer bet to start with...:confused: