Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Due app or day one

Really looking forward to iOS9 and Split View, A New iPad Mini 4 or whatever they end up calling it should really be awesome.

Currently using a iPhone 6 and a Nexus 7 2013 Running Android 5.1

Its looking like I will be flipping to a Note 5 (its amazing) and a iPad Mini 4 with Split View and all the Tablet enhancements

Reactions: jamezr

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I got the Verizon edge + a week ago. Even though I don't have Verizon (it was only one available at test drive check out).

Al I want to say is the Verizon is horrible down in SoCal! Completely ruining my experience with the phone. I can't even go on Skype in most places where I go. Pandora does not load in many places while I'm driving.

WOW I am so glad I have tmobile but I thought that Verizon is something everyone loves because its number 1.

The phone itself is amazing!! Great screen, functions great.

Popping Verizon sim out now and putting my tmobile one in right now.

Reactions: billy the fish

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
Returned my 6S Edge last night, overall it was great, but I'm so tied to the iOS ecosystem like many others, it's hard to leave. I will miss that screen though, that screen was amazing.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Possibly looking to switch to Note 5 permanently its feature wise a mini iPad Pro
4GB RAM DDR4 and a Exynos 7420 they aint topping that next year if not by much

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I have had every iPhone since the 4s. I have a new MacBook Pro and an iPad Air 2 (and previous versions of the iPad before that). I also enjoy tech from other companies, like Sony (ps4), Microsoft (Xbox one, Windows 10 laptop), Nintendo, Google (chrome cast, nest), Amazon, etc.

At one point I though the Apple ecosystem was a true lock in.

It's not, once you get out of it you realize it's superficial, yet seemingly effect (based in this forums) at keeping people around.

The biggest advantage I see is if you own an Apple TV, and I did for a short while . I can accomplish the same thing with chrome cast or my miracast smart tv. I understand it may not seem as simple, but it is. Hell, Microsoft has some kind of wireless hdmi dongle that most device can stream too just like an Apple TV. I have found chrome cast, or whatever I use, to be perfect for when I need it. When j want to stream a full blue ray movie, I don't. I hook my Mac or whatever to the tv via hdmi, as it preserves the quality and sound.

Like I have said in so many post, I understand the ecosystem argument, but it's not that strong once you examine it. AirPlay can be accomplished in many different, device agnostic ways. Just google it. The main reason AirPlay seems like the only answer is the locked down nature of iOS. With android, Mac OS X, Windows, etc you can stream wireless to a number of devices. Other features, such as continuum and handoff are neat, but again superficial. It's hard to match iMessages cross device sync, without turning to hangouts etc, if you want to sync a Mac, iPad, and iPhone. But you can sync a Mac and android device easily, using various apps. You can even semi sync an iPad using mighty text. Same goes for calls and etc. I guess if you use iCloud, Apple mail and email address, keynote, pages, etc...everything Apple...then you are truly locked in. Why change at that point if you happy? I use google services, Microsoft services, Apple services, etc. I use gmail, office, one drive, etc...all services that sync easily between different platforms.

I guess my point is this. If you use all Apple products (watch, iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, AirPort Extreme, etc...you are locked in, and already know your not going to move to a new OS,etc.

But if your not the above, and maybe like me and own and iPad, OS X device, and iPhone (I used to, know anymore)....then you are not nearly as locked down as you think. All you have to do is google a little and you'll find everything you need. Some services, like slide sync or pushbullet, are superior to native Apple offerings

IMO note 5 is the best phone I have ever had, and I have had more iOS and android devices then I can count. Good tech is good tech. People have their preference, but the idea that it's all Apple or nothing is a but extreme. I find if one is platform agnostic, and just buys the best devices available, it makes for the best experience, and sometimes saves you money. I don't hate Apple, and if the iPhone 7 knocks it out of the park, compared to other phones, I'll get it.

Genejwalker1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
I have had every iPhone since the 4s. I have a new MacBook Pro and an iPad Air 2 (and previous versions of the iPad before that). I also enjoy tech from other companies, like Sony (ps4), Microsoft (Xbox one, Windows 10 laptop), Nintendo, Google (chrome cast, nest), Amazon, etc.

It's not, once you get out of it you realize it's superficial, yet seemingly effect (based in this forums) at keeping people around.

The biggest advantage I see is if you own an Apple TV, and I did for a short while . I can accomplish the same thing with chrome cast or my miracast smart tv. I understand it may not seem as simple, but it is. Hell, Microsoft has some kind of wireless hdmi dongle that most device can stream too just like an Apple TV. I have found chrome cast, or whatever I use, to be perfect for when I need it. When j want to stream a full blue ray movie, I don't. I hook my Mac or whatever to the tv via hdmi, as it preserves the quality and sound.

Like I have said in so many post, I understand the ecosystem argument, but it's not that strong once you examine it. AirPlay can be accomplished in many different, device agnostic ways. Just google it. The main reason AirPlay seems like the only answer is the locked down nature of iOS. With android, Mac OS X, Windows, etc you can stream wireless to a number of devices. Other features, such as continuum and handoff are neat, but again superficial. It's hard to match iMessages cross device sync, without turning to hangouts etc, if you want to sync a Mac, iPad, and iPhone. But you can sync a Mac and android device easily, using various apps. You can even semi sync an iPad using mighty text. Same goes for calls and etc. I guess if you use iCloud, Apple mail and email address, keynote, pages, etc...everything Apple...then you are truly locked in. Why change at that point if you happy? I use google services, Microsoft services, Apple services, etc. I use gmail, office, one drive, etc...all services that sync easily between different platforms.

I guess my point is this. If you use all Apple products (watch, iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, AirPort Extreme, etc...you are locked in, and already know your not going to move to a new OS,etc.

But if your not the above, and maybe like me and own and iPad, OS X device, and iPhone (I used to, know anymore)....then you are not nearly as locked down as you think. All you have to do is google a little and you'll find everything you need. Some services, like slide sync or pushbullet, are superior to native Apple offerings

IMO note 5 is the best phone I have ever had, and I have had more iOS and android devices then I can count. Good tech is good tech. People have their preference, but the idea that it's all Apple or nothing is a but extreme. I find if one is platform agnostic, and just buys the best devices available, it makes for the best experience, and sometimes saves you money. I don't hate Apple, and if the iPhone 7 knocks it out of the park, compared to other phones, I'll get it.
Well said sir. I too once owned a macbook, Apple TV iPhone and iPad and tried to use I cloud and the apple ecosystem. Then I realized how easy it was to actually use Google services or even Microsoft if I chose to and still own those devices. I can switch from an iPhone to an android device or from a mac to a pc and nothing changes because google services are available across all devices including ios. And the handoff is easy. I can hop on an iPhone and with Google photos see all my photos and the best part it's always been unlimited to back them up. Google music is available on all devices as well and I can easily access my music library across all devices. It is not as painful as people say. It's actually easier. The fire tv is still to date, including after the new Apple TV, the best streaming media box to own. With the installation of kodi, I can accomplish everything and a whole lot more than I ever could with the apple TV and it is more powerful. Airplay is built in to kodi so I can cast whatever I want to my screen. People are scared of making changes. That has been the case when it comes to anything. If you guys truly gave it a shot and realized the capabilities of the tech and services you will see that the only ecosystem that wants you to drive 1 car is Apple. But with Google or even windows you are able to drive whatever vehicle you want. And switch cars as frequently as you would like. Including the car that Apple wants you to drive. The best part is photo backup and sync as well as music backup and sync is free of charge. I can go anywhere and get on anybodies device and access all of my stuff. Open your eyes. Don't be locked down because you are naive. If you like a different car but are scared your accessories won't work in it because the car you're used to was all propietary, realize that by moving to different accessories you can drive a new car and your old one if you like. And if Apple comes out with a new device you can still use it and not miss a step. Icloud is the biggest joke in my opinion. When I use an ios device I still use Google services. And love my iPhone just as much as my new s6 edge plus. But right now I like the raw power and beauty it entrenches so this is the car of my choice.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Well said sir. I too once owned a macbook, Apple TV iPhone and iPad and tried to use I cloud and the apple ecosystem. Then I realized how easy it was to actually use Google services or even Microsoft if I chose to and still own those devices. I can switch from an iPhone to an android device or from a mac to a pc and nothing changes because google services are available across all devices including ios. And the handoff is easy. I can hop on an iPhone and with Google photos see all my photos and the best part it's always been unlimited to back them up. Google music is available on all devices as well and I can easily access my music library across all devices. It is not as painful as people say. It's actually easier. The fire tv is still to date, including after the new Apple TV, the best streaming media box to own. With the installation of kodi, I can accomplish everything and a whole lot more than I ever could with the apple TV and it is more powerful. Airplay is built in to kodi so I can cast whatever I want to my screen. People are scared of making changes. That has been the case when it comes to anything. If you guys truly gave it a shot and realized the capabilities of the tech and services you will see that the only ecosystem that wants you to drive 1 car is Apple. But with Google or even windows you are able to drive whatever vehicle you want. And switch cars as frequently as you would like. Including the car that Apple wants you to drive. The best part is photo backup and sync as well as music backup and sync is free of charge. I can go anywhere and get on anybodies device and access all of my stuff. Open your eyes. Don't be locked down because you are naive. If you like a different car but are scared your accessories won't work in it because the car you're used to was all propietary, realize that by moving to different accessories you can drive a new car and your old one if you like. And if Apple comes out with a new device you can still use it and not miss a step. Icloud is the biggest joke in my opinion. When I use an ios device I still use Google services. And love my iPhone just as much as my new s6 edge plus. But right now I like the raw power and beauty it entrenches so this is the car of my choice.
That is the second time in 24 hours that I have heard about kodi. Going to have to look into this. I only have the firestick at the moment though

Genejwalker1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
That is the second time in 24 hours that I have heard about kodi. Going to have to look into this. I only have the firestick at the moment though
The fire stick is a capable little device. Not as powerful as the tv due to only having 1gb of ram and a slower processor but it gets the job done for an affordable price. If you want a flawless experience go with the fire tv box. Look up kodi. If you have questions about the special things it can do give me a shout.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Fire TV with a fork of kodi called tvmc is how I watch all my TV/movies. Anything I want to watch, it is awesome

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I don't customize, the add ons tvmc comes with are all I use(Genesis, Salts, 1channel and Navix)

Genejwalker1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
I don't customize, the add ons tvmc comes with are all I use(Genesis, Salts, 1channel and Navix)
Got you. I use those too plus some. And I want to be on the newest version so tvmc is a no go for me one of those "Latest and Greatest " guys

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
I have never heard so much.......... ...... ......

Common sense in all my life..

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Yeah I can't put down my Note 5 the Samsung Test Drive despite my problems, converted me. And that I'm getting one for $50 from Sprint does not hurt.

I'll sell it next year for the iPhone 7

Reactions: billy the fish

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Apple sells an experience, not tech stats. Their computers have never had the most RAM and never will their mobile devices. It's all about the experience.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

You masked good points, but I like the Apple Store, FaceTime, iMessage and iCloud. At home Apple TV. Not to mention hassle free service and support if needed. I use google and Microsoft services as well. A smart car and a Bentley both do the same thing but in a different manner it depends on what you like.

Reactions: Cam Johnson

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
Just dropped off my phone to FedEx today. To those that returned the phone, did you get any confirmation?
Yes, they email you afterwards saying they received it and again saying when you are eligible to apply for the rebates if you purchased one. I dropped mine off on Tuesday and it arrived the next day since they aren't far away from where I live. The email said that it would take around a week to be able to submit the receipts but I got an email today saying it was ready. They already accepted my receipts so I'm hoping they are as quick about sending the rebates out.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Yes, they email you afterwards saying they received it and again saying when you are eligible to apply for the rebates if you purchased one. I dropped mine off on Tuesday and it arrived the next day since they aren't far away from where I live. The email said that it would take around a week to be able to submit the receipts but I got an email today saying it was ready. They already accepted my receipts so I'm hoping they are as quick about sending the rebates out.

I got the email but they haven't activated my eligibility yet, even though they received the phone two weeks ago and I got the email saying "thank you" 5 days ago.

What exactly did they make you do to receive the $100 play credit? Just the receipt or did you have to do someother stuff on the actual phone?

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
They will email you reminding when you're suppose to return your phone. Just received an email... But I already shipped my phone back and arriving tomorrow. Takes about ~4 or 5 business day to ship back to them from California.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
They will email you reminding when you're suppose to return your phone. Just received an email... But I already shipped my phone back and arriving tomorrow. Takes about ~4 or 5 business day to ship back to them from California.

Well, I just hope that it won't take longer than that. Otherwise it'll be over 35 days.

Thanks

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Well, I just hope that it won't take longer than that. Otherwise it'll be over 35 days.

Thanks

They have a 5 day grace period for shipping I believe.

I dropped my phone off to FedEx last Friday, and it's arriving tomorrow (Thursday). Shipped from the Bay Area to Texas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.