Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Ives, if I have to buy and carry a separate device just to charge and use a USB flash drive, that's a major design failure.
Well you sound like you bought the wrong macbook then, however if you did buy the wrong macbook here's an option. I've never used a usb stick on my macbook and it has 2 ports.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Since you can't connect anything other than headphones while the computer is charging I would consider this cost part of the computer.

I'm trying to imagine someone watching a DVD on the couch with a flash drive connected while their computer is charging. What a mess.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Since you can't connect anything other than headphones while the computer is charging I would consider this cost part of the computer.

I'm trying to imagine someone watching a DVD on the couch with a flash drive connected while their computer is charging. What a mess.

Why would one ever be doing that? I'd transfer the file to the internal disk which takes all of a few seconds. Then I'd watch it off battery power (easy enough to do when an hour of charging gives close to 80% charge).

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
It's all such a fuss though isn't it. All this just to have a laptop that's useful. I wish they would stop the clamour to build a computer thinner than an After Eight mint and just keep them functional.
They make that too. It's called a Macbook Pro.

All of you who are complaining: please stop and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you. Apple makes this product because there are plenty of people out there (obviously not you) who don't need a gazillion ports on their notebook for it to be 'useful' and would gladly sacrifice all those ports for the sake of the absolute lightest computer possible. Just because you wouldn't find it useful, doesn't mean Apple should stop making it for others who do. You don't hear this many people complaining that the iPod Touch shouldn't exist because it lacks iPhone functionality.

Last edited:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I don't get it!
Yes and you didn't have to made it that clear ;)

Each to their own of course, but why would you buy a laptop with such limited connectivity if, in fact, what you needed was a laptop with many connectivity options.
No, what they need doesn't exist. They need something that is a desktop when at work/home and something that is like the MacBook when on the road. The only way you can accomplish this is by buying the MacBook and a docking station (like the one reviewed here) or a port replicator. That docking station/port replicator is what turns a notebook into a desk setup and it has been common for a couple of decades (since the 90s)!

I always assumed that the target market for this laptop were people who used the cloud/wifi for everything that they do, they dont have SD Cards, LAN connections and connected printers.
No, the target market is people who want absolute mobility. The target market for docking stations is anybody who wants mobility AND a proper desk setup. Again, this has been the case for a couple of decades (since the 90s).

Setups like these are heavily used in businesses nowadays. There aren't that many people using a desktop any more. The reason for this is quite simple: mobility and thus flexibility. You can now work anywhere. Businesses also have to follow regulations that state that any employee has to have a proper and safe workplace. That could mean as much as that the use of external display, keyboard and mouse is mandatory. This would rule out every notebook so that's why they invented docking stations and port replicators. That way you have both the advantage of a desktop and a notebook.

Also, Ethernet really needs a makeover, it's the biggest, ugliest port still in use everywhere.
No it doesn't. It is about the only port that is an actual universal standard. It has been used for many many years now (this one goes back 30, maybe even 40 years or so) and the technology has still a long road ahead. It is one of the very very few pieces of technology that is able to last for a few more years and probably even decades. It can now do 10Gbps and they are pushing it to 40 and even 100Gbps. And the nicest part: anybody can make a network cable. Try that with USB-C, Thunderbolt and all those others!

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hmmm. Interesting. But I have no idea what you mean.
I'm not sure who the "you" is, but I think you should call OWC to get the definitive answers to your questions and you could post them for the benefit of all. Thanks so much.
Call me crazy, but often when someone comments on an article (and this thread is a comment thread), "you" refers to the author of the article. Since the article wrote a review, I thought it might be useful if that information was included in the review. Crazy talk!

Also, I have gone through at least 3 different USB-C hubs since I got my 12" rMB. Despite what manufacturers say, USB-A charging is very flaky. A hands-on perspective (AKA review) would be useful to get some first-hand testing.

Reactions: cerberusss

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
This is why you just buy the laptop that has the ports you need. I'm pretty sure that for most people, the MacBook sucks. The keyboard on it is also trash, BTW.
[doublepost=1453237127][/doublepost]
Call me old-fashioned, but I like my hardware ports. Docking stations, external options, yuck. Still rocking my 2012 rMBP 15" and loving the ports. To the folks at Apple. It's thin enough! I don't want to lose ports at the expense of thinness. What's next, taking away the keyboard?
Yeah, I'm sick of my rMBP not having an ethernet port. Gotta carry around this bothersome, unreliable dongle. It's not nearly as bad as the MacBook, but I have been screwed over in the past because I haven't had my dongle with me. I guess this doesn't happen to casual users as much. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why I don't want the 2012 MBP, so I've gotta deal with it. First world problems.

Last edited:

macbookpro79

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2016
I don't think this device is really made for carrying around, Imagine leaving this in your office with all the ports plugged to something already, you will go in to work in the morning place your laptop on your desk and just plug one single Usb Type C
[doublepost=1453240459][/doublepost]I don't think this device is really made for carrying around, Imagine leaving this in your office with all the ports plugged to something already, you will go in to work in the morning place your laptop on your desk and just plug one single Usb Type C

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I don't think this device is really made for carrying around, Imagine leaving this in your office with all the ports plugged to something already, you will go in to work in the morning place your laptop on your desk and just plug one single Usb Type C

If it's not meant to be carried around, then it's a failure of a portable device.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
They bought a Macbook because it's thin and light and great for travel.

But if you also spend a lot of time at a DESK... with a big monitor or two... and maybe an external hard drive... I don't see why you wouldn't have a docking station. You get the best of both worlds.

You can plug in one cord to go from a sleek portable computer to an office workstation. Makes sense to me.

And let's not forget that docking stations have existed for decades... but they're not simply to provide missing ports.

I have trouble with the idea that people, who use a docking station in their place of work, would ever have looked at this machine twice.

In fact, has this dock come as a real boon to those people, who hitherto, have been scratching their heads about how to dock their macbook to all of the hardware they have in the office? Or were there other docking solutions that were brought out in conjunction with the Macbook?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have trouble with the idea that people, who use a docking station in their place of work, would ever have looked at this machine twice.

In fact, has this dock come as a real boon to those people, who hitherto, have been scratching their heads about how to dock their macbook to all of the hardware they have in the office? Or were there other docking solutions that were brought out in conjunction with the Macbook?

This dock really only offers a slightly more convenient form factor (and something that can be more easily hidden away) than using the Apple Digital HDMI adapter and a USB hub. I suppose it also offers a bit more power to the usb ports and the ability to permanently attach a pair of speakers. But many of us have been docking from the beginning using Apple's adapter. Works great.

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
I really like this product. For that price it might sell compared to more expensive TB docks

MonkeyMommy

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
I don't know the answer to the first question, but I believe the maker of the similar HydraDock says that the maximum refresh rate for 4K on the rMB is 30Hz.

Thanks - yeah; FYI everyone I looked around and found an email from their tech support (that I missed) from October saying they _believe_ it will operate in clamshell. My wife is not a gamer and is mostly doing word processing so the refresh rate should be fine. However, not having clamshell would be a real deal breaker - small apartment! That rMB is sure super nice looking but sometimes I really miss the non bleeding edge nature of her old Air ... the price for pre-ordering, I guess

Thank you for contacting OWC.

Yes, the USB-C Dock should be capable of clamshell mode so long as you are using an external monitor.

Please reply back to this message if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you again for contacting OWC.

Sincerely,

(( person at OWC ))

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
This dock really only offers a slightly more convenient form factor (and something that can be more easily hidden away) than using the Apple Digital HDMI adapter and a USB hub. I suppose it also offers a bit more power to the usb ports and the ability to permanently attach a pair of speakers. But many of us have been docking from the beginning using Apple's adapter. Works great.
I second that; if all you need is to connect keyboard, mouse, power and a display then the Apple one is more than enough as it comes with all the necessary ports. The dock reviewed here just brings you some more convenience. It comes with an ethernet port, more ports (no need for extra usb hub and usb-ethernet adapter) and is basically your second power adapter.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Or, the MacBook is a different product with an entirely different target use case. Obviously, the vision behind the product didn't include needing to use a USB drive and charge at the same time. Apple DOES make a whole lineup of notebook computers, you know that right? The MacBook Pro is still there, still just as "functional," still with the same trade offs (size/weight). The MacBooks entire purpose for existence is extreme portability. It's purpose is not a portable desktop replacement. That's what the MacBook Pro is for.

At least Apple has a very clear and defined vision, and has the balls to actually design and manufacture to that envisioned goal. They envisioned a new generation of super thin/light laptops for extreme portability, and made actual DECISIONS on how to take it to there. More portable than the category-defining MBAir, more capable than an iPad. That meant hard decisions, on the things essential to achieving that goal, and things holding it back from getting there. Rather than most other companies that can't make ANY tough decisions, and leave everything plus the kitchen sink inside the machine, for fear of upsetting a single person.

If you don't realize by this point, that this is classic Apple, and EXACTLY how Apple has disrupted so many markets, then you really shouldn't be discussing Apple. The MacBook makes me happy and relieved to see that Apple still has balls.

I have to (mostly) agree with this post.

While a second USB port is somewhat of a dumbass omission, I can see how many can do without it on the go, especially since Apple didn't stop offering the other models in their lineup (unlike what they did with the Mac Pro...grrrrr!).

The fear is that Apple will carry over their design philosophy across lines.

As such, a dock like this one makes sense. This machine is an iPad with a keyboard, and in keeping with the single-user-cloud-everything philosophy, it is sharp in its execution.

Still, a not-much-heavier Air, with retina and available in space black, would have been awesome and a far, far better machine.
[doublepost=1453837333][/doublepost]
You are old-fashioned. And the yuck dockingstations, they are made for people like you. To add back the odd thing old people will be missing about the future. I also like my hardware port, singular. One port ought to be enough for anybody. Provided it is versatile, speedy and daisy-chainable. USB-C is just a trick to make every new accessory on the market Thunderbolt 3 compatible. Apple will continue to build in special high-performance ports, but this time in a non-proprietary, industry-standard kind of way. I don't know what's not to love about the unfolding port situation of 2016. It's a dream come true.

z4.jpg

I'm in both camps and rather not have to carry dongles, but that TB3/USB-C is very promising.

Razer is coming out with an external graphics enclosure that uses it, and for that alone I'm excited. Modular computers are close. Apple started that with the Mac Pro but the TB ports on it DO NOT match the internal PCI bandwidth. TB3 either mitigates or overcomes that.

Still, we need more than one bloody port. The point of a portable is to carry it to where your stuff is not, so I'd rather have the flexibility to connect to whatever I need to out there. Apple is merely offloading the cost of connectivity to us, as dongles and docks have and will become a necessity.

In the end, I see this is the future. But until the future catches up to Apple, I'll hang on to my 17". :)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Still, we need more than one bloody port.
The new MacBook ( Apples fanless ultraportable ) has only one port. The 13" MacBook Pro will have 2 or 3 and the 15" MacBook Pro will have 3 or 4 TB3/USB-C ports. Depending on how many PCIe lanes are free after everything else is connected to the bus.

Mordichka

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Call me crazy, but often when someone comments on an article (and this thread is a comment thread), "you" refers to the author of the article. Since the article wrote a review, I thought it might be useful if that information was included in the review. Crazy talk!

Also, I have gone through at least 3 different USB-C hubs since I got my 12" rMB. Despite what manufacturers say, USB-A charging is very flaky. A hands-on perspective (AKA review) would be useful to get some first-hand testing.
[doublepost=1453957673][/doublepost]I agree completely with these marketing articles that pass as reviews. I've gone through several USB-C hubs and returned them all. Charging problems, devices being dropped, OS X beach balls. One cable from a "respected" vendor damaged the USB-C port on my first rMB. I'll wait until USB-C vendors get their act together before wasting any more money on vapor ware and problem products. As of right now, after originally scheduled to ship in October, I believe OWC is still not shipping. There seem to be serious problems with the first generation of USB-C products. Buyer beware, especially pre-order buyers. My favorite of all the great vaporware reviews were those of the Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt Dock. Didn't some folks wait two years on that thing? It did look pretty in all those rave "reviews", however.

ibcharlie

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
Story says four USB Type-A and one USB Type-C port. My eyes tell me different. I think my eyes are correct. How about you? Which is correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.