Review: Stylish Danny P. Leather Wallet Holds iPhone 6/6s Plus, Cards and Cash

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Accessory maker Danny P. seeks to give iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus users some dual usability with its new Leather Wallet with iPhone 6 Plus Case, which includes seven credit/debit card slots, a rear folder for cash, and a sleeve for the larger-sized iPhone. The case, which is available through Apple's own online store, is sized at 6.81 inches tall with a width of about 4.13 inches and is aimed to remain slim and unobtrusive even when stocked with an iPhone and various credit cards.

After a week of use, I've found that Danny P.'s Leather Wallet Case adheres to the company's bullet point list of promises describing the case on its website, most notably in the satisfying quality of materials used to craft the iPhone accessory. Anyone with the pocket or bag real estate to house its vertically spacious design will easily find a lot to love in the case, especially those seeking an all-in-one housing solution for both monetary and iPhone protection needs.

Design

The left portion of the bifold holding the seven credit card slots on the inside of the Leather Wallet Case has an opening on the upper and right sides to hold a few dollars in cash, or any other slim pieces of paper or notes. The slot that actually holds the iPhone is a full sleeve, preventing access to the smartphone's screen and inputs with the sole exception of the home button and Touch ID (if you slide it in upside down).

[​IMG]

Like most sleeve cases, the inside of Danny P.'s product has a soft suede finish to make it easier to slide the iPhone in and out of the pocket, and prevent it from getting any scratches while housed there. The company's logo is also admirably discreet on both the face of the wallet and at the bottom of the iPhone sleeve, although this is somewhat depending on the finish of the Italian leather used on each version of the case. Danny P. sent me the all-black option, and it's perfect for anyone looking for an inconspicuous accessory.

When fully packed with seven credit, debit, and rewards cards, some cash, and the iPhone, the case's thickness measured just under an inch for me on a day-to-day basis, which I found to be impressively non-bulky given the amount of content I placed inside. Danny P. also encourages the iPhone to be placed upside down as previously mentioned to access both the headphone jack and Touch ID for quick apple pay payments.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Stylish Danny P. Leather Wallet Holds iPhone 6/6s Plus, Cards and Cash

2. hauntvictim macrumors regular

hauntvictim

Exactly what I have been waiting for... although with the purported size and pricing may continue looking around.

3. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

I'd like one but there's no way I'd consider spending $130 on it

4. ChasInVictoria macrumors newbie

ChasInVictoria

I may be "not getting" something here. With due respect to the makers for the quality materials and style, I see two big problems with this that would prevent a lot of people from getting it. The first is the inherent problem with wallet cases -- lose it, and you've lost everything important in your world in one fell swoop. That's something Danny P et al aren't going to fix, but its just a concern should you every accidentally lose your iPhone or get robbed.

The second problem here is particular to this design: it renders your iPhone essentially useless. Pulling the iPhone out of that tight-fitting pocket will take time and effort, and people would want to do that a few dozen to a few hundred times a day, so that becomes an issue. Maybe an Apple Watch user wouldn't be as affected (I'm one, and it's true that I don't have to take out my iPhone anywhere near as much as I used to), but for many that will be a showstopper, particularly as it won't fit the iPhone that has a case on it.

5. cyberhippy macrumors newbie

Howdy Chas, on your first point, for me there's a great convenience factor in having all the stuff I need in one package - back in the 90's I had a wallet, a cellphone, a camera and a Palm Pilot - I was one of those guys with a fanny-pack because I needed it to carry all that crap! Now I have all that in one wallet-case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNOFQCO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Totally agree with you on the failure in the design, the case I got allows me to use my phone normally, take pictures etc, and is only $20! I went through a couple of other cheap ones before I got this one, the others wouldn't close if I had just a couple of cards or too much cash in it, this one works fine & the magnets hold it closed nicely.

6. LordBeelzebub macrumors regular

Twelve South makes similar products not nearly as expensive. I had one of their Book Book wallet type iPhone cases for my iPhone 4 back in the day and loved it and if my memory serves me correct, was over half the price.

7. roar08 macrumors member

How long until Pinterest issues a C&D for copyright infringement of the embossed logo on the front of the case?

8. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Is that a Danny P in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? :D

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

So while the phone is actually in the case, you can't see or use the screen? Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

I use an i-Blason wallet case for my 6 Plus, so obviously I see the value in the concept... but I really can't see why anyone would want this.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

I know people who use pocket-type cases for who this might be a good option, and I certainly like the large number of card slots, but although I'm unquestionably the market--someone who wants a combo wallet/case with room for about 6 cards--this doesn't seem like it would be practical to me.

I have a BookBook for my iPhone 6, and it does almost everything I'd want: It has a window for my driver's license, to provide quick-flip display when necessary, it doesn't require taking the phone out of a pocket to view it, so it's perfect for grabbing it quickly to see who's calling or what the text ping was (or just to check the time), and the phone bumper lets it prop up so it will double as a little easel stand if you want.

The down sides are pretty much that more than 2 credit cards and a drivers license is really pushing it; I have 5 stuffed in, and it feels like it's overloaded. It also rubs the screen a bit where the highest seam is (might be exacerbated by the number of cards), which for someone who doesn't like screen protectors worries me that it will eventually wear the coating off the screen (though it seems okay after over a year of use). The cash pocket is also kind of awkward for more than a single bill; I've ended up just carrying a folded wad of bills in a front pocket as an alternative.

Some day, when I can reliably use ApplePay for everything, the BookBook might be the perfect case, but as is I really wish it had more room for cards.

This wallet solves the card overload and screen friction issue at the cost of not being able to quick-flip the phone (the biggest advantage of a wallet case in the first place) and no convenient driver's license window.

Incidentally, for those who worry about losing your wallet and your phone at the same time: Technically true, but to me, if I lost my credit cards I'd much rather have a GPS'd phone attached to them that I can use to figure out where I left them. Maybe I don't leave my phone lying around like other people do, though--I never take it out of my pocket unless I'm using it, or at home.

11. beanbaguk macrumors 6502

beanbaguk

Well. In a nutshell, that's about as useless as they come. Imagine how fiddly it'll be to remove the iPhone. Not to mention that it's highly unlikely you can even put a protective case on the iPhone itself so when it's not in your wallet (most of the time), it's completely unprotected.

And like others have said. $130!

Madness.

NEXT!

12. prowlmedia macrumors 65816

Shouldn't these, clearly paid for, reviews have a transparency disclaimer. If it was a real review it would say; Its a leather wallet that holds your phone too.

13. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

Where do you see the "clearly paid for" part? I know us plebes will never reach your level of sophistication, but please enlighten us for the future.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

As for any sleeves, the big concern to me is the lack of any protection when the iPhone is in my hands

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If it was paid for it would have a disclaimer.

Are news stories really advertising in disguise?

16. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Wallet, wasn't that meant to be made obsolete.with Apple Pay? No matter. It all fits in perfectly with New Apple's vision of style over substance. :oops:

17. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

That's a pretty weak riding of the Apple Pay coattails. How do I choose from multiple cards if I can't see the screen?

How do I even know what time it is? Though, if I could afford this, I guess I would just look at my Apple Watch Edition...

18. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

MacRumors is always transparent about any partnerships. If the review was that boring and lacking in information, it would be a terrible review. I suppose that's why you don't write for one of the most successful tech blogs on the Internet.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats how i threw my iPhone 5 down the stairs 10 seconds after i got it back in the day lol all the pulling

20. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

I need to go back to the drawing board as to what I think is a wallet. To me, it's this thing I can put in my back (left) pocket and it has my license, some debit/credit cards, and very rarely cash, as I just use cards. It may have some bits of paper in there for good measure, but I travel very light with the wallet, as I don't want to always be reminded it's there.

Now, even if I wanted to keep my phone in my wallet, inside my back, left pocket, what kind of pain in the back, left pocket would that be to constantly have to take my phone out of the wallet each time I wanted to use it? Or, maybe I just keep my @ss vibrating all day and ignore it?

But because there is no way my phone fits in my wallet in my back, left pocket, and allows me to function properly, as in standing, walking and sitting, I would now need a satchel of some type to store my wallet that used to be in my back, left pocket, now taking space on my shoulder and totally ruining my day.

My conclusion... why do I want my phone in my wallet? Unless I start carrying a purse, my wallet needs to fit in my back, left pocket, and that means sans phone.

Thank you Danny P.

EDIT: $30 for materials, $100 for Danny P.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Danny!

21. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

That was one of the parts that surprised me once I started using the case, and probably should have been more obvious. When I was grocery shopping with it, using Reminders to check off the shopping list, it definitely made me feel concerned about dropping my iPhone each time I had to take it out. Thankfully I never did, but I wouldn't wanna have to worry about that EVERY day.

22. bushman4 macrumors 68000

not a practical solution. By the time I get the phone out of the case I'll have missed the phone call
    Can't use the phone in the case so what's the point

23. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

The article clearly states that you were sent a product for review. Why doesn't that require a disclaimer? Because it was only $130?

24. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

It has to be paid. Nobody would ever spend that much time on a wallet UNLESS the wallet WAS the phone, the credit card, etc. A piece of leather doesn't require this much of an in-depth look. It's just like those "sponsored" articles on actual news websites you see. if you don't look closely, you get fooled into thinking they are real. I guess with everyone using adblockers, tracking blockers, script blockers, flash blockers, they have to do this. But I still don't like it.

25. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

My issue would be always--ALWAYS--jogging the Touch ID and unlocking my phone when taking it out of the case. That's already a minor frustration when I get a notification, accidentally bump the home button, and lose the lock screen alerts. This would frustrate me no end.

The only way I see around that would be to pop the phone out like a cigarette from a soft pack. And that sounds like a terribly unsafe thing to do with a naked iPhone!