Reviews of CT senator race/debate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Jul 7, 2006.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Watched some of the debate yesterday, thought Lieberman mopped the floor with the challenger - must be my right leanings. Thought I would get your take on it.

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I missed the debate, but as a CT resident & voter, I'm very curious as to how both candidates did.

The main issue here is Lieberman's stance on the war. The war was originally a WMD issue, but that has evolved to an intangible "war on terrorism." I agree that we shouldn't leave until the job is done, we owe it to the Iraqi people to fix all that we've destroyed. And empower them to create a functioning government.

What I'm angry about is going there in the first place. I feel Bush misled the American public with the false claims of WMD. Was this due to his desire for revenge, the opportunity to finish what his daddy started, or something else?

Personally, I hold Bush accountable for the war, and the chumminess that Lieberman displays towards the President makes me question the Senator's goals.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Lieberman came off too angry and Lamont came off too weak. I'd stick with Lieberman.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Lieberman's done some good things - he helped pursuade the Pentagon to remove the Groton sub base from the ax list. That would have crippled the state. Lamont's a real unknown politically....

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not surprised. The DLC is very fond of Joementum.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Agreed. However, if he loses to Lamont, I strongly oppose his independent bid.

7. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

After reading the transcripts, I agree with you stubeef. The Senator soundly beat him. Let's see what the voters have to say.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Lamont's lead now up to 13% -- doesn't look good for 'ol Joe.

What's amazing to me is how he's done it -- even though Lieberman was the freaking VP candidate against Bush, Lamont has managed to portray Lieberman as someone who shares the Bush agenda. Everyone wants to talk about Iraq, but Lamont's ads have been much more concerned with saying that Joe Lieberman is George Bush's candidate.

Lieberman still holds a large lead running as an independent in a three way race, but don't count out Lamont -- he's proven himself so far.

My gravest concern is that the two split the Democratic votes and Connecticut somehow sends a gambling addicted Republican senator to Washington ...

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That was a good thing but kissing George and his behind was stupid and if CT wanted a republican they should have voted one in. Groton sub base memorys....................:cool:

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The lead is supposedly shorter then it was, I don't trust polls at all as they are not accurate but they are predicting a close race.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do you mean that the poll data doesn't represent the populace or that polls are bad predictors of outcome?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seems that the problem with this particular race is the difficulty of putting together a reliable voter model to predict who will show up to vote.

It's summer, it's a primary, etc etc. No one's sure who will show up at the polls tomorrow.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lieberman helped get us into Iraq. We now know after 2,500 dead and 400 billion later it wasnt needed. Thats reason enough to vote him out.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't support Joe when he was a Dem, and I don't support him now as a Repub lite. Not that I like the other guy either, but he was good on Colbert. Joe wouldn't even show.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I'm not anti-semitic (waiting for someone to call me that like they did in the Israel/Hamas thread, even though I'm part Jewish).

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Not that I'm prying into your voting record, but did you support him when he ran with Gore?

I support Lamont (albeit with suspicion), but Joe has managed to hold the support of the CT. left up until this moment.

Incidentally, I've not once voted for Joe -- owing mostly to the fact that I've been out of CT. for ten years.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i voted for the ticket, but i'd always thought lieberman was an unfortunate choice. imo, just about any other VP candidate would have gotten gore the election.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lieberman's website is just a short message right now. looks like they didn't pay their hosting bill, either. (link)

from earlier:
    [​IMG]

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't vote in 2000. Didn't see the point. Of course, my problems with Gore seem trivial by comparison now, but hindsight is 20/20. Never really liked Lieb because some of his policies on education (he's pro voucher) and entertainment (such as his support of the Family Entertainment Protection Act). Gore's Wife Tipper is of the same belief when it comes to blaming the entertainment industry, as is Hillary Clinton. Plus he actually beat Lowell Weicker when he first ran because he was more conservative than the Republican Sen, which kinda tells me something. Plus, as everyone seems to be hinting, a lot of people in this country don't like Jews (not saying it's right, it's obviously not). Sad, but it more than likely hurt Gore more than most people will admit.

So, no.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hope he loses. He's a republican in disguise.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If it makes you feel any better, there are some Republicans in the Senate who are actually Democrats in disguise.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ironically, one of whom lost to him back when he first ran as I noted above. Apparently some CT Republicans found their guy too liberal, so they elected Joe because he was the more conservative of the 2 on some things. Go figure. They've been supporting him ever since, as noted in the other thread about dirty politics. I used to wonder about McCain and Spectre, but am often reminded of why they are Republicans.

Too bad more people couldn't run as moderates and win, but if Lieberman is what's considered moderate, maybe that's a good thing.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Lamont gets my vote today in the primary.

Though, I'm worried that Lieberman could bail and run as an Independent and still win.

We'll see.

This is my first time at the polls, FWIW. :D

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree, Gore needed a better VP candidate. Lieberman just seemed weak. maybe its his voice.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

such as?