Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm looking into switching from a shared hosting plan from JustHost to Cloud hosting from Site5. I've read some good reviews on Site5, but have you had any experiences with them? I'm looking at the basic, $25/month plan for cloud hosting.

Thanks!

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm looking into switching from a shared hosting plan from JustHost to Cloud hosting from Site5. I've read some good reviews on Site5, but have you had any experiences with them? I'm looking at the basic, $25/month plan for cloud hosting.

Thanks!

I used to be on Site5 (just their normal shared hosting) but have since moved to Linode. There $19.95 VPS is extremely good value and fast enough to handle pretty active sites. Plus you get the advantage of being able to run ANYTHING on it :).

The only down side is that it is unmanaged hosting which means you need to do all the sys admin stuff yourself. I'm not convinced that cloud hosting providers offer that much advantage. Linode beats the crap out of the Amazon cloud in terms of speed.

In fact most cloud providers have poor IO performance which is generally bad for websites and cost significantly more than a decent VPS setup. You have to pay a lot for the premium cloud disk solutions (and I really mean a lot).

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I used to be on Site5 (just their normal shared hosting) but have since moved to Linode. There $19.95 VPS is extremely good value and fast enough to handle pretty active sites. Plus you get the advantage of being able to run ANYTHING on it :).

The only down side is that it is unmanaged hosting which means you need to do all the sys admin stuff yourself. I'm not convinced that cloud hosting providers offer that much advantage. Linode beats the crap out of the Amazon cloud in terms of speed.

In fact most cloud providers have poor IO performance which is generally bad for websites and cost significantly more than a decent VPS setup. You have to pay a lot for the premium cloud disk solutions (and I really mean a lot).

How fast is that $19.95 plan (in terms of server speed)? Would you recommend VPS over cloud for a website with high traffic?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Right now, we're getting a good couple hundred a minute. Really depends on the day.

Hard to say really in that case. It entirely depends on how well written your web app is. You maybe fine or you might have a couple of queries that kill your site no matter how powerful the machine you run your site on is.

The only real way to find out is to test. From looking at the Site5 page though I wouldn't be too confident in them though. They offer far fewer upgrade routes. Once you outgrow the $36 a month plan the next one up is $100 which is a bit of a jump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.