Revised MagSafes ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Feb 21, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Could be that your old magsafe adapter was a defective one and therefore the new one with the longer shaft could be how all normal ones are.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My MagSafe looks like the newer one.

I'd call it "modified" not "redesigned" because redesigned implies that it looks totally different.

4. SoldOutMatinee macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

If so, good. This was mine about a month ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple replaced it with a new one at the Apple Store. The Genius said that AppleCare doesn't cover it but that he'd give me a new one anyway. Damn straight.

5. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

I'll be at the Apple Store tomorrow getting power adapter #3. Same thing happened to mine. And they better cover it.

I'll also ask them about my screen which has black spots in it.... and the occasional sound my fan makes... sounds like it's got rocks in it. I'm highly disappointed in my computer. :(

Last time I got a replacement, the Apple "Genius" claimed that he had never seen this before and blamed me for the problem, but he was going to replace it anyway. Yeah, sure.

And considering that my battery no longer holds a charge... a new one of those wouldn't hurt either.

6. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I used white "Duck" tape around the connector as a precaution and hoping it will keep things together.

7. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

I'll be doing the same thing with the next one thickly... even though there seems to be a new design with more stress relief.

8. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

i haven't had any problems. Well...i did lick it once...seriously, don't try it. (cringes)

9. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Hahaha. That's hilarious. What would possess you to lick your MagSafe adapter?

And for the record, mine looks like the first/old one. Mine is a Rev. A model though, complete with staining.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Interesting. I know they had identical problems with poor strain relief and iPod remotes a while back. It's exactly the same problem / cure. Great visuals, nice ideas, crap engineering - apparently a perennial Apple theme.

11. MacAnkka macrumors regular

My power adapter that came with my MacBook core duo is the first/old one.

Hasn't caused any problems -- at least yet. I does look like it could tear apart quite easily.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can confirm this. My adaptor was replaced for a whining/crackling noise, and the new adaptor is completely silent and does in fact, have a longer "tube."

13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

My friend and her roommate, both with white CD MacBooks, had the same wire-coming-loose problem with their power adapteres. The problem on their adapters popped up within a couple of days of each other. Both got replacements on the spot at the Apple store, with similar "we don't usually do this type of thing" stories from the geniuses.

That story must be standard operating procedure at all Apple stores.

My MBP's connector looks like the old version. I hope it doesn't come apart. I have it sitting on desks and tables (as opposed to my lap) about 99% of the time and it's not getting stressed.

14. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

That's the thing. I don't stress mine out (much) either, yet I keep going through them like water.