Revised Powerbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, May 30, 2004.

  1. SkudShark macrumors member


    Mar 19, 2004
    Is it worth it right now or does anyone know if the powerbooks will be upgraded this summer to G5's?

    I really wanna get my hands on a 12", so its a tough decision, also whats the average actual battery life people have been finding out about the new 12" ones?

    Thanks for you'r input :)

    and OT I know, but if anyone knows anyone wanting an IBM thinkpad, 3 weeks old, drop me a line, gonna sell it to get the PB :)
  2. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    If the PBs get the G5, suspicions are that the 12" is pretty small and may miss out first time around.

    Plus you may be waiting until Sept/Oct or even Jan05 or later for the G5 PB. Thats why I bought...
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    I would be shocked if the G5 PBs are out before January, so if you have made up your mind to take the plunge and get a Mac, go ahead, the new ones are really sweet.
  4. Gherkin macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2004
    Powerbooks were JUST updated a little over a month ago. G5s aren't coming this summer. They will probably be announced at WWDC 2005. The most reasonable thought right now puts another G4 upgrade for the Powerbook line in about 6 months, and then the G5 after that.

    Buy now, or risk waiting a very long time.
  5. reaper macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    PBs definitely won't be upgraded to G5s this summer, although they may be announced at WWDC. I would say that if you really want a PB go ahead and get one. They are freshly updated and the price/performance ration is as good as it's going to get.

    - reaper
  6. Ph4lynx macrumors member

    Apr 29, 2004
    University Place
    like most people here i suspect the powerbooks wont get G5s untill next year at least

    but alot of things could change in a year...
  7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030


    Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Yeah, people were generally saying that G5 PBs won't get there until at least next Jan; this could be later now that Motorola is coming up with a 2GHz G4 with 333MHz FSB. This new offering may be a better chip to put in a laptop than the G5 so Apple may use this. And they could potentially relabel it as a G5 for marketing sake.

    I'd say buy now, they've been recently updated. I love my little 1GHz 12" PowerBook (previous rev) to bits and it's still going strong after 8 months of solid use. Yours will be that much faster too.
  8. James L macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2004
    Yup, buy now a month after a release, or wait another 5 - 7 months for the next release.

Share This Page