revisionist history: catoons now, what's next

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iTwitch, Aug 21, 2006.

1. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I'm listening to BBC 6 Music and there talking about how the smoking scenes are going to be cut out. Can't have Tom of Tom and Jerry puffing. Wonder what they're going to do about Popeye? I don't smoke but this seems to be going too far. Revisionist history, blah. :confused:

2. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I hate censorship, especially if it is as lame as that.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This isn't new, though, is it? Didn't they (you know, "they") cut out the more violent scenes from the old Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner cartoons from Warner Bros. a long time ago?

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm just mad I can't take my children to a good hanging, like my great great great grand-daddy used to do.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i'm sure you can, you just have to leave the country. chin up though, every so often there's sure to be a well publicized celebrity trial that should more than make up for it!

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ted Turner is an a**hole.

First it was colorizing old black-and-white movies, now this. If there's a poster child for the rich white politically-correct guy who's apparently suffering huge amounts of stupid guilt for having been successful, it's him.

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Does that include exploding cigars? Because that would ruin all cartoons ever for me.

9. iTwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

This would be more like denying public hangings took place or photoshoping all hanging images to make them conform to our kinder and gentler way of life.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's really too bad. I remember when I was younger The Flintstones were on every day at noon, and there was one episode involving the shooting of a movie with cowboys and Indians in it. Well, the natives here complained about it and had the epsiode pulled! Complete crap... The thing was, in the episode they weren't even real Indians, they were some guys from a bar the director just hired to play Indians!

Bugs Bunny and all those cartoons were great - censoring stuff like that is really poor. :(

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

those kind of cartoons don't really seem violent enough to be censored. its not like Bugs Bunny decides to go on a killing spree and decipitates Fred Flintstone, Daffy, Taz, and the entire Jetson family. half of it is silly tricks like Wily Coyote kind of stuff.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What's the sanitized cartoon thing got to do with Ted Turner? I didn't see his name mentioned. I also don't get the connection to colorizing old movies and political correctness.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I remember an episode of tom and jerry where tom was trying to impress this female cat and he roll up that dutch and smoked it until his fingers burned......ahhhhh classic.

Bless

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow, just wow. I can't believe people who think that little things like Tom smoking are harmful to children! Wtf? I watched those all the time and it didn't do jack **** to me. It's strange because these are the kind of things that really Pis me off. I mean Janet Jackson shows her *** for 5 seconds and it's all everyone is talking about for an efing year! I think that the entire thing is to wag the dog away from all the other big problems the world is facing. Notice - in the US all we ever hear about is the Ramsey murder and Israel. Whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? He got away! And he was our reason for attacking Iraq and now hes gone. I just think this whole country is going to s***.

Geez i get worked up about stuff like that.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not really, because your initial claim that is completely off. Editing cartoons so that children are not exposed to images that glorify smoking is not at all the same thing as editing historical documents or denying historical records to promote a version of history for a political purpose (revisionist history). Nobody is denying that people used to smoke, or even that these cartoon characters used to. The point is (they believe) that small children shouldn't watch them doing it.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Then don't air the cartoons that show smoking at a time when small children are likely to see them.

Rather than censor the cartoon for EVERYONE, how about a little discretion as to when it's aired? If the PC asshats start digitally removing smoking from every movie I love, I will be PISSED. :mad:

(And no, I don't smoke, never have, never will. I just hate political correctness.)

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That seems reasonable. Well, or at least the first two sentences do...

...and I don't think that most people who claim to hate political correctness. I think they tend to hate political correctness with which they disagree.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good point. A number of other cartoons made in the 1930s and 1940s are rarely/never seen anymore, at least on TV, because they are blatantly racist. Is that "censorship," political correctness run amok, or just good common sense?

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why does this all remind me of the opening scene of Mrs. Doubtfire?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I can't think of a single political-correctnessism (I know, not a word) with which I agree.

21. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Really? No word that has ever been used to describe anything that is no longer used to describe that concept strikes you as offensive?

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Did you have a particular example in mind? Because I can't think of any.

Oh, and don't throw out any patently offensive examples (like the n-word). There's a huge difference between (for example):

African-American (PCism)
    black (generally accepted word, just like "white")
    n-word (slur)

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm surprise they still show tom and jerry....have you ever seen how they draw the housekeeper...I want to laugh but sometimes its just sad.

Bless

24. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

An easy example would seem to be previous words that equate to "African-American". You like 'em all? (since you edited your post, how about negro?)

Do you think there should be "doctors" and "lady doctors" or does the first term to you include the second?

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't say "anything-American". You're either American, or you're not. I once heard some idiot refer to Lennox Lewis (who is ENGLISH) as an African-American and that's when I knew for sure that that particular PCism had jumped the shark. Following PC logic, I should be able to insist that people refer to me not as "white", but as "Caucasian" or even "Swedish-American". Like most "African-Americans", I've never even been to the place that would make up the first half of my chosen designation.

And a doctor is a doctor, regardless of gender. Same with a nurse.

I don't say "negro" because it's too close to the n-word... plus I'm not Spanish.