Revolution controller to have touchscreen-like abilities

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.revolutionfanboy.com/2006/02/27/revolution-launch-news/

I find that damn cool. God knows how exactly it will work. Pressure sensitive areas perhaps? Personally I can imagine Nintendo flogging either old-skool console 'shells' or adding some new bridge technology to play old games with those wonderful gyroscopes like.

My mouth, she drools!

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

"touchscreen-like"? Maybe it can detect general finger (or mainly thumb?) movements but not suppose to be used for any fine detail. Not really sure. Should be interesting. Rev needs to come out already, preferably well before Thanksgiving. I'd like a May-June launch.

It's fun to dream.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Go back to the source (or the nearest English one).

He's talking about in terms of interactivity. Since it detects where on the screen you are pointing, it is very similar to a touch screen. He's not announcing some top secret functionality here, he's just talking about what we already know.

Nintendo's saving their secrets for E3.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think Nintendos big surprise is the fact that the REV can push as much power as the x360....well i'm hoping.

Bless

5. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That was my problem, I didn't see a link that gave me the English version. Tried all the ones I saw but no English

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I couldn't find a full english translation but they link to RevolutionReport which summarizes it in english.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/322

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Simply no :) That's not on Nintendos agenda. The way I think of it the Rev has some more potential secrets;

-The controller has pressure sensitive areas that mimic shoulder buttons and X+Y buttons for SNES. The controller definitely has more features than what we've been told. Some patents have revealed it may house a microphone for voice/text chat in games.
    -There is a new graphics rendering technique. Maybe the system will be able to render up to 720p/1080p? It just renders a 480p image and applies a 2D filter over the top to smooth out pixels, rather than rendering a big raw 3D image. 1080p quality AA and sharpness, 480p quality textures.
    -The front panel. This could just house the SD slot. I reckon there will be ports for GB, GBC and GBA games. A GB Player for the cube only costs about £20. They're probably much cheaper to manufacture.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I honestly don't believe these rumors. Nintendo is not a company that creates rendering techniques. Those are for the people behind OpenGL and DirectX. It would require Nintendo to create their own new standard in violation of existing ones.

9. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

and especially if it's very similar to the gamecube in terms of coding..

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Exactly. Nintendo has said that it's very similar, and many developers (off the record, so it's hard to confirm, but it has been said multiple times from multiple sources and even reported by IGN) have said that the early Revolution dev kits were overclocked GameCubes and developers were told to program for GameCube and spec up while they waited for the next dev kit revisions. (Remember, XBox 360 was PowerMac G5's for the dev kit)

It's possible there's some new rendering method that is entirely software-implemented, but even then I would think it would make the programming very different.

11. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

If the Rev still has any secrets then:

Hopefully the controller is pressure sensitive [Even though its common for the other consoles]

OR

What would be a very pleseant surprise would be if Nintendo used HD in a unique way that 1) Would not hike the system price 2) Would look better, although not as good a full HD support...

Imagine, the Rev has a DVI/HDMI port:

Even thought the console may not have the horsepower to render the game's GFX at 1080p, on-screen items such as life bars, text, icons are rendered in HD 720/1080p [If the user so desires]. But the 3D graphics themselves would be regular 480p. That would not push the console's price up, and would make HD users a little happier than they are now :)

That would be a nice surprise...

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

On the other hand this graphics technique will not require any change in coding. They just produce the game for 480p, and the 2D graphical enhancers (Double Sai, Eagle etc) do the upscaling. Its a very beautiful effect. just get a full quality screenshot of say, Twilight Princess, open it in Pixen or Photoshop and double the screen size. Add a 2x filter like median or the free 2X filter.

That's done with little taxing to the graphics card. A cheap way of upscaling but beautiful and a definite improvement for HD monitors nonetheless. Will not take up any more space on a DVD either.

I'm going to write up a little article about this. I'm confident that this will be used somewhere, if not just to spruce up the old games.

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Is it? Are there any other consoles with pressure sensitive spots? we're not talking buttons here. actual spots that detect how hard the player is squeezing the controller for example.

UPDATE http://satansam.co.uk/blog/?p=222 with test example images too.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, he's thinking of pressure sensitive buttons.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sprucing up old games, sure, but it is not going to happen on Rev games, as it DOES take quite a lot of horsepower. I do it on my GBA emulator.