Revolution Game Ideas, lets hear them.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mike Teezie, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Ok, the controller has been revealed, and the possibilities are probably endless.

I thought it would be interesting to see how creative we can get with some ideas for games. First or third party, whatever. Sky's the limit.

Resident Evil:
    Being able to play co-op online would be necessary, but imagine walking around in the dark with a flash light, your partner or whatever behind you, gun drawn. Suddenly an enemy pops out, and you have to get out of the way as your partner opens fire. You ditch the flashlight and open fire yourself.

That's not even a stretch of imaginantion.

Surely we can come up with some cool stuff - thoughts?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I can't wait to see what they will do with Mario Baseball Rev

It would either be really good or i would get really frustrated with it. Because imagine check swinging if it doesn't check swing i would get pissed off!!!

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

One I thought of ages ago with gyroscopes, but would be difficult with the large controller, comes to mind. This is perfect for it, much better than my original idea.

Use the numchuk or whatever it's called layout, with the analog stick, Z1 and Z2 buttons in the left hand, and holding the remote in the right hand with your fingers on the A, B, and D-pad.

My idea was for a game with incredible acrobatics. I got the idea from the trailer for Final Fantasy Advent Children (don't care about the movie but the trailer was sweet) where the people were fighting in some building and running and jumping off the walls.

Imagine this game. It's a third-person view. While you run, it plays like any old platformer (or third person shooter, like Star Wars Battlefront can be- this would actually work best for Jedi Academy, third person with a lightsaber). You can do everything you'd normally do, control where you are aiming by moving the remote like with shooters, and walking with the analog stick.

But when you hold Z2 down, then it locks your characters' position (the direction you are facing) and the tilt of the controller becomes the tilt of your character. You can still control with the analog stick.

It's hard to explain, but picture this.

Jedi holding blaster in a Star Wars game is running down a very long, VERY open hallway. He runs alongside a wall and jumps. You hold down Z2 and tilt the controller till your feet touch the wall and keep holding forward on the analog stick and are running on the wall; release Z2 and quickly turn your character and snap off a shot at enemies. Jump off the wall and hold down Z2 again as you fly toward the opposite wall, and tilt the controller so that your feet touch the wall and press jump to kick off it.

It's again extremely hard to explain, but it would allow for some incredible acrobatic feats, running on walls, kicking off pillars in midairr, etc, then releasing Z2 to jerk around and snap off a few shots before kicking off anotehr wall...

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Pretty much every FPS would be revolutionised (no pun intended). You could use the nunchuck to move and a light-gun holder thing for the main thing (you know what I mean :p)

5. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I can't help but think of Zelda.

Now, imagine Link pulls out his bow. You, the player, will be using two of the main controllers, on in each hand. Let's say that Link will be holding the bow with his left and arming it with an arrow with his right. With your left hand, you hold out the controller vertically. With the other controller, place it horrizontally near the other and push and hold the A button. Now pull the right controller back and Link will pull back on the arrow, readying his shot. A you pull back the right controller, the left controller will rumble a little to simluate the tension of the bow. Now, in this ready position, you pivot slightly left or right, or tilt up or down in order to control Link's aim. Finally, let go of A on the right controller and you'll feel a jolt on the left controller simulating the shakling of the bow as the arrow is released.

I was also thinking of using th dual controller combo for riding Epona. Let's say the right controller are the reigns and the left is your sword. You simply swing around your left to control the sword. The right controller will control Epona's movements. Pull back quickly on the right controller to make Epona halt. Whip it quickly to make Epona start galloping and accelerating. Tilt or shift the controller left or right to make Epona turn.

I imagine the game to basically implement the equiping system of Link's Awakening, in which you equip different items (even the sword) to either A or B. In this case, you would equip items to either left or right hand. This can lead to so many possibilities and combos and would lead to implementing some interesting strategies and puzzles that take advantage of this mechanic.

The boomerang would simply work by you pressing and holding the A button to ready the boomerang, then you make a swinging motion with the controller and by releasing A, Link lets go of the boomerang. When it returns, it can either require you to catch it, or it will simply return to your hand. Either way, when it happens, you'll know because the controller will jolt.

The hookshot is easy. Press A to ready it. Then push the trigger to launch it after you literally aim at the screen with it. As it launches, the rumble built in will provide a feedback of the launch.

The shield would be controlled similarly to the sword. Wherever you move the controller, Link will move the shield the same way. This means the player will be responsible to properly shield themselves. It also means that the shield could be used as a weapon too, like slashing an enemy with the edge of it, or smacking them back with it by making a quick forward movement with the controller.

Swimming would involve the player making stroking motions with their controllers. Turning would be made possible by stroking more with one controller than the other. If you make a stroking motion up high, Link will rise. If you stroke down low, Link will descend.

The musical instrument in the game could be drums. That would be easy to imagine how that would work.

Just some ideas I thought about while walking home from DigiPen today. :)

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

tricks kinda like in total overdose ? .. running on the walls, doing matrix tricks better than in the original game)
    it's pretty easy to make something like that.. perhaps we're gonna see more such games now

edit: about shooting arrows in zelda: my brother came up with the exact same thing ... press the A/B button.. pull back ... aim(while rumbling) ... let button go for the shot... see how intuitive it is ? people coming to the same ideas all over the world

you don't need a second controller for that.. you've got the analog thing in you're other hand

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've got a couple of ideas, but I was just reading through this thread and thinking "OMG we are all going to look so ridiculous"!

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

at least we won't have to look at us being ridiculous like playing with eye-toy were you are on the screen ;)

a camera will hopefully be an add-on for the base console later

EDIT: another one: think about a FPS including a pump-action shotgun... and now think about what you have to do after each shot... i guess you can imagine it, right ?

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

10. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Thanks. Can you imagine the discussions that have been going on at Nintendo since they got the first one of these controllers to work properly?

AWESOME.

Nunchaku in right hand, remote in left!!! AWESOME.

11. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Yeah. I can pretty much forget playing my Revolution while my girlfriend and any of her friends are at my house.

I can see it now. Me playing a game versus a group of people online somewhere, screaming and flailing my arms about, with what appears to be a DVD remote in hand.

:D

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah i sure hope for you that you will have some additional controllers around ;)

13. After G macrumors 68000

After G

a) Flying game where the position of the space-ship is controlled by the position of the controller.

b) 3-D ping-pong with the controller as the bat. Retro fun!

c) A game where balance is determined by the player holding the controller in a certain position. Tony Hawk, anyone?

d) An RPG where your tiredness is indicated by the position of the controller. You get extra magic/life/energy when the fights are exciting (i.e. boss battle) and you get penalized when you are being lazy with the controller.

Alternatively, power-up moves could be done by waving the controller in a certain fashion.

Or timing (like the R1 trigger in FF games) could be done by beating the controller like a drum stick.

14. woxel1 macrumors member

I want a game where you are a ghost and you float around and haunt. I know there are a lot of games with that basic concept, but to actually "float" with the Revolution's controller would be awesome.

15. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

THE N64 DD GAMES!

The N64DD was an expansion to the N64 that added a hard drive, keyboard, and mouse. Not sure if it was ever released, if it was it certainly never made it to the U.S..

One of the many features was Polygon Studio, that let you create your own 3D models and use them in games.

Perhaps...Revolution downloadable? :D

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Game idea:

Kirby's Canvas Curse Revolution.

You point the remote at the screen and use it as the stylus on the DS, moving it to draw lines.

18. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Tennis!
    Star Trek......with phaser in hand.
    Star Wars (perhaps a 3rd party controller that looks like a lightsaber....like the cheap ones out now that plug directly into your tv)
    Billiards

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Someone is bound to get hurt, sooner or later.... :p

20. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

As soon as I saw it I thought.... FPS with a gun attachment that the remote things fits into. So like, the gun would have a trigger and other buttons that would replace the buttons on the tv remote thing. So like, you insert the controller into what would be the barrel of the gun, and now you could play rainbow six 4 with an actual rifle. How sick would that be????

21. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Pump action shotgun, Link's bow... I'm getting chills just reading this...

ps360 who?! :D

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

An idea I had today.

One remote in each hand.

The D-Pad on the left one is for movement (think WASD).

The D-pad on the right, the left-right buttons change your right hand weapon and up and down change your left hand weapon.

You dual weild.

Each remote controls one gun (I'm thinking Star Wars Battlefront, dual pistols, Jango Fett style :) ). The gun or blaster perfectly reflects the one in your hand, including the tilt of it and direction it is pointing.

B fires. You simply point at the screen (the gun tracks where you point) and press the B trigger to fire. With two guns, you can fire at two places at once.

On the left remote, pressing and holding the A button locks the gun in the center of the screen and while you hold it, moving the remote moves your view (like moving a mouse). Release it and you go back to shooting. Meanwhile you can use the right handed one to shoot while turning, and still shoot in the middle of the screen like a traditional FPS while turning.

The right A button is probably secondary weapon like grenades, and they can make a and b on each controller do game specific things, maybe actions or entering vehicles.

Perfect dual weilding setup.

In multiplayer you can give your friend one and you take the other and each person controls one gun...One person controls one gun and the movement, the other controls one gun, weapon switching and secondary weapons...talk about co-op! :D

Point the gun straight up and pump to reload.

23. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

In s Star Wars game, your remote could be your lightsaber obviously.

But the super cool part would be pressing the A button to turn your light saber on and off!!!

24. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Yeah, kinda obvious but still gives me shivers!!!! :D Man, could you imagine that with vr goggles? Too bad you couldnt have some kind of resistence for when the lightsabers clash!

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Heh, reminds me of Ride The Comix (those who've been to Downtown Disney at Disney Florida might know what I mean). That was coooool :cool:

Just the mere thought of Zelda Revolution..........