Revolution graphics on par with 360???

Discussion in 'Games' started by d_saum, Dec 12, 2005.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

I dont know if any of you have seen this before (Im sure someone in here has), but I just came across this site and apparently the Rev could have some amazing graphics:::

Nintendo has filed patents for a technology called displacement mapping, which is a technique that is used to render detailed surfaces while successfully simultaneously keeping polygon count low.

Nintendo has filed two patents regarding the technology. One of them refers to a specialized hardware for vector operations, optimising the graphics hardware so that the displacement mapping is computed efficiently. The other one reduces the strain put on the CPU that is caused by rendering a 3d world in 2d.

The technology is not new but Nintendo is patenting its particular usage in Nintendo projects.

It is very likely that the technology be used in Nintendo upcoming game console, the Nintendo revolution.

It is believed that, with the power of displacement mapping Nintendo can achieve better graphics than the XBox 360 with much less power.

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Not to sound negative [Since this is good news], but how can Nintendo get a patent on technology that already exists? :confused:

I've played a bit with displacement mapping before myself... Seems standard on pretty much any 3D App...

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

While that may be true, I remember the NFL 2k series had an insane amount of polygons per player and their graphics weren't even that much better than anything else. I'm not saying that a higher polygon count isn't better because it is, I'm just saying I'm not sure if it's everything.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm too tired to post in detail tonight. I ripped this to shreds on another forum already. It's just some idiot that reads a patent, doesn't understand the tech talk, misunderstands it and thinks its something else, makes a forum post proclaiming its some secret Nintendo is keeping, and then rumor sites and blogs like that one pick it up.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

They're not ;)
    ...Rule of thumb "A good texture speaks a thousand polygons".

Translation: A good texture can save a crappy mesh, but a good mesh can't save those crappy textures.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Sorry, looking back it would have made more sense had I said it rather than typed. I meant 281 with equal graphics as 5000 = Ninty pwning M$.

8. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

because i'm in a hurry:

_old_ tech -> nintendo patent new perhaps more efficent way to implent it -> not sure if it's getting used at all in Revolution -> still not as powerfull as xbox360/ps3

at least i would be rather surprised

edit: positivly surprised ;)
    after all i'm pretty sure Nintendo will pull off quite a few improvements with the GPU.. especially i nterms of compressions or optimisations

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Who said it isn't as good as the 360? They just proved that it does better in a minute fraction of the power

11. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Well, Nintendo said themselves the processing power will not be as powerful as the 360. In terms of sheer numbers, the Revolution will be pounced upon; however if this article is a look into what we should expect from Nintendo, then we can see that they are going the economical route. Less gigaflops, less RAM, but awesome implimentation of state of the art 3D technology.

I'm all for it!

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Everyone should just chill out until E3.

Then we will all see the real deal, no need for anyone to fanboy it up or whatnot.

There is going to be hardcore speculation on everything on PS3 and Revolution.

Most will be purely speculation.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

quick reply (tea's ready)... in SD mode they are probably identical. A developer said that in SD mode all the next gen consoles look the same. doesn't surprise me. anyone remember Nintendo's 'saturation point' speech?

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Yeah, that is Nintendo's whole philosophy on their new Revolution console. However, what's being said is that the Revolution will not look as detailed on an HD monitor than a 360 or a PS3.

We will just have to see and wait.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I hate the word fanboy ^_^

By the way, nice XBox 360 avatar, XBox 360 Profile, XBox 360 sig, XBox 360 post history mr. pointing out fanboys. ;) Just kidding.

I myself went tri-consolexual and wouldn't go back.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh god no its impossible. the Rev max's out (as far as we know) at 480p. that alone will be very much welcomed for me. get myself the obligatory VGA cable and it can say hello to my 2005FPW monitor no probs. the other machines hit 1080p. or if you believe the Sony hyperbole; DUAL 1080p graphics at 60fps :rolleyes:

of course the other systems will look better in HD resolutions though.

or so we think... who knows what Nintendo are up too... we can all speculate on rumours and the mini amount of real info announced but until we actually know then speculation is all we have. I speculated the PSP would fail to sell one machine, but a market was invented full of people who don't mind playing games, but want to watch films on the go. nobody can say how the Rev will look, or what they really mean when they speak about amazing hidden features, who knows? perhaps them features alone will render no (at this time) HD-output feature as trivial.

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Once again, they said it has monitor out, which implies that they're just waiting for a proper HDTV standard to happen. It will do 480p minimum, probably higher

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

What Nintendo is doing here is very smart. They know that Revolution will likely have the same small marketshare as Gamecube, but if they have much higher profit margins than Microsoft (which they will, as they also did with Gamecube) they can stay afloat.

19. katchow macrumors 6502

if i were a third party publisher, that strategy wouldn't exactly woo me to cross platforms.

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Far as I remember, that "small market share" is the exact same "small market share" as M$ :rolleyes:

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

And neither can same a crappy game...

Not even in HD...

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

exactly.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

ARGH! I hate these stupid conspiracy theorists that make up junk and get people to believe it, then blogs and unofficial news sites repost it like its real, causing a stir over nothing.

This whole rumor originated from a stupid blog.

These patents will not automatically make the Revolution more powerful.

The XBox 360 and PS3 are already using displacement mapping.

This is where it originated from.

http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

Actually read the stuff! They have no understanding of the patents. They think the cube-mapping patent is "pre-rendered images in real-time". Anyone remember that patent? It's talking about a panoramic image with depth added in, a more advanced version of the Zelda 64 Marketplace and stuff like that.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=138726

Nintendo is not the kind of company that is going to magically discover a ten-times-more-efficient way of rendering images than the entire-freaking-industry.

Sorry, sites publishing speculation as fact is one of my pet peeves, I'm not directing my frustration towards anyone on this board. I'm sorry if I appear rude, I just really, really hate blogs that misinform people.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Proper HDTV standard? There are proper HDTV standards. Do you mean waiting until HDTVs have more consumer penetration?

Lethal

25. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Sounds cool, but I'm inclined to believe GFL that PS3 and 360 are using this tech already.

On a side note, how long until MS and Sony come out with a Rev clone controller? I'd say we might see a 360 version of this idea before the Rev launches stateside.