Revolution interface?

Discussion in 'Games' started by d_saum, Aug 15, 2005.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Anyone have any good clues about the revolution interface? I know gyro's, less buttons, blah blah blah... but what else? I've heard a million rumors about 3D projection and VR goggles, but that seems too far out there. Or is it? Any thoughts?

Dave

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think I found a pic of that 3D goggle interface, but with an older controller idea.
    [​IMG]

:D

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Nothing solid yet. Gotta wait. Info should be out by year's end. :rolleyes: September is the best chance for an announcement since there's some video game trade shows happening.

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Here's an early concept render of the VR goggles:

[​IMG]

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

wow, we even got the same picture :D

I was faster though :p

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

:p

That awful system was the first thing I thought about when seeing 'VR goggles' in an article about Nintendo.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh it's not that bad. $50 was worth it 1 year after its release. I just wish I could find some games for it. Like Teleroboxer and any other non-wireframe game (I still haven't beaten Red Alarm!).

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

The whole VR revolution was a hoax, I believe, but quite a good one. The ad made for it looked pretty cool.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, if there's one thing for certain, it's not a touch screen. Nintendo specificly shot that down.

And Nintendo will be using gyroscopes a lot more in the near future, though whether it's the Revolution controller or not remains to be seen.

Also, ignore any rumors from SeriousGamer007 and Anonymous Sam. Proven fakes.

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Doubtful, he said he'd leave after E3 as that was all the info he would give. And there's no way to know if he was true or not, but the recent info (that Nintendo only recently started giving out dev kits, not even Sega knows what the Revolution is yet) make it very doubtful he was a developer not working for Nintendo... :(

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Honestly i dont know and i have no ideas of what it'll be like. they've got so much new technology to play with, and new bits that they haven't announced yet... i dont think any person here could really give a good educated guess.

i hope its something like the Cubes though. i mean the Xbox's was just extremely cheesy. the PS2's was just dull. if it wasnt for the silly start up sound (or the sillier 'secret' startup sound) the cube's would be the best. hopefully they still have that the guy who made the interface background music though. anything that sounds like Moby is good for that.

anything combining the cubes beauty and the DS's clear-'technology' interfaces would be excellent.

13. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Trackball and/or OLED buttons

I have two ideas.

First, imagine the GameCube controller with a large track-ball in the middle. That would be something new for consoles and not very expensive to build.

My second idea is a controller with buttons that have OLEDs in them. In every game buttons could look different. A keyboard with this technology is coming out soon for PCs so the technology exists.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

OLED is a nice idea, would be a 'nintendo' thing to do. trackball? haha... its a good idea but i severly doubt it. not with the massive gyroscope funding. plus trackballs work in 2D, gryo's in 3D.

incidently... will the Revolution, assuming its using the gyroscopes, be the first fully 3D games machine? not as in 3D graphics but 3D interfacing?

15. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Excellent point! I hadn't thought about it like that before.

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Hopefully they won't stray far from the Gamecube's controller. The best part of the cube's controller is thats you don't have to look at it to know what to press (ie most of the in-game prompts don't just tell you to press X, they give you the little picture so that you know the orientation of the button... genius I tell you!)

Whenever I play a Playstation in the store and the game tells me to press Triangle, I have to look down to find out what button Triangle is. Who's genius idea was it to use shapes as the button faces anyway?

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I loved the design there. The A button in the middle and the other buttons orbitting it. With the PS2, I'd rest my thumb on the X button, and have to lift it up to reach triangle. The XBox was worse, with all the four buttons and both the black and white buttons feeling the same, and I'd not only have to look down oftentimes but ALSO lift my finger up to hit half the buttons.

The GameCube allowed me to rest my finger on the A button and just shift it a little to press any of the others (B, X, or Y).

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

its funny, and a good reflection upon the consoles designers... but the Revolution controller i picked up in minutes. i mastered where the buttons where by the end of the first level on Rogue Leader. and its a very comfy experience. its just surrounded by the A button. with the little 'kidney' X and Y and the mini B. the Z is fine, its rarely used in the thick of a battle or whatever.

The Playstation controller i *think* i still know off by heart. due to me loving the PS1 (and N64 equally :p) clockwise from top; Triangle, Circle, X, Square. its just the double set of shoulder buttons that got me lost in some games, pressing one for the other etc... but the whole thing was too uncomfy, ditto for the PS2.

I've had my Xbox a couple of years now and I still haven't mastered its controller. I dont know which letters go where or which is the black and white button without looking. and those shoulder buttons hurt after a while.

GBA is a piece of cake. just realised that the same control schemes thought up in 1987 (Mario Land) are still used in the Mario Advance games. B=run, A=jump. now thats the sign of a perfect system.

They say that the revolution controller is to be very simple. Apparently letting anyone play. maybe its an outdated idea but i remember Nintendo saying they want people who have never even considered playing a console before to be able to pick up the Rev and play it fluently, and enjoy it too. hmm?

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I assume you mean GameCube ;)

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

All I really wish for, is for someone to make a slightly larger controller. Both the GC and XBox controllers are too small for me to hold comfortably for longer periods.

And yes, I do have freakishly large hands. I can hit any key combination on my my PowerBook's keyboard, except for fn+eject, and esc+up/down/right, which no one uses anyway.

21. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

The XBOX's Controller is TOO BIG??

Wow. That's really suprising!

I always thought that controller was gigantic.

Big hands. I imagine thats a real pain. I have stupidly large feet, and find it hard to get shoes that fit.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I suppose your hands are similar to Bob Bobson?
    [​IMG]

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

That's damn funny! :D Thanks for that! :)

24. Ayre macrumors member

I thought about this alot, what the "revolution" would be, but think about this. Nintendo themselves said that the DS was a hint at what would make the Revolution so revolutionary. Those of you who think gyroscopic functionality within the controller is definitely on the right track.

Assuming the hint doesn't refer to both systems uses Wi-fi for online gaming, think about this. The Revolution will play basically all the old Nintendo liscensed games. How the heck are you supposed to play Duck Hunt?

I think that the gyroscopic controls will allow for some sort of cursor to be placed upon the screen. The XBox 360 and PS3 may be ideal systems for FPSs, but if this is true, this could open up a whole arena of possibilities with aiming. Why was Metroid Prime 3 the only game to be revealed as a Revolution title? It could be a hint.

With Wario Ware: Twisted! for the GBA, which uses a gyroscope to control gameplay, Nintendo could probably be testing out different gameplay possibilities, maybe even reactions.

What do you guys think?

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, it fits in with two big facts:

1) Nintendo has signed a very big gyroscope contract.

2) Satoru Iwata, Nintendo CEO (I think it was SI, might have been Miyamoto) said that "The Revolution's interface is very well suited for a Pikmin game".

Remember that Pikmin involves an onscreen cursor that you move with the joystick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gyroscopes make sense for that.

I'm a supporter of the gyroscope theory :D Keyboard-and-mouse accuracy in FPS, and it makes an RTS possible.