Revolution: Pay to Play?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

A friend pointed me in the direction of this article.
    Is this new news? I was (mistakenly, apparently) under the impression that the prior library of classic games would be free.

2. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I guess a better question would be "how much will the games be?" Any ideas?

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I think that it has to be at a price that seems cheap to the consumer..some of these games are at least 10+ years old! My guess maybe in the $3-5 dollar range if it is to own. Anymore than that and it's a complete rip off. They should have it like a rental option that you pay a premium to play as many as you want and then they just are deleted automatically after the time has passed. That plan would be very popular for oldschool nintendo fanboys :)

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This is old news. A few months old.

Anyway, yeah, there will be small fees for the old games. It's like an iTunes for games.

Online play will be free, however.

Personally I'm guessing a $1-$3 for NES/SNES games, no more than $5 for N64.

I mean, Ninty's gonna have at least 200 games up, most likely several hundred more. At a dollar a game, they could still make a fortune.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea this is old. my guess is that instead of (or as well as) Nintendos Star System; buying a game will let you buy its history too. however, all games can be bought at any time for £1-£2 (no cart, no packaging etc)

just my guess!

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Well, I was considering buying this console purely for the NES/SNES games, but I guess this just blows that idea right out of the water.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Don't throw in the towel until you know what the business model will be.
    I am hpoing it will be something along the lines of paying $5 for Super Mario 64, and getting a $5 rebate voucher good for the next Mario game for Revolution. Free old games with purchasess of new Rev games sounds good to me. Remember, these guys are in it for profit, not to give us free games.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They've said they will also give free downloads with game purchases. For example, buy Mario Revolution, get Mario 64 free, or buy Metroid Prime 3, get Super Metroid free, etc.

Why does this blow it out of the water? The pricing model might be quite good. If I could buy an NES game for $1, I'd probably buy 30...
    Same with SNES games for $2.

We'll see what Nintendo charges.

I'm really surprised there are people that hadn't heard this...

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd pay up to $1 for NES games, anywhere from $1-3 for SNES games, and from $3-8 for N64 titles.

I don't think we will get off that easy, unfortunately. I'm going to guess that we see $1.99 NES games, $4.99 SNES games and $9.99 N64 games as the standard.

Look at Nintendo's history of re-releases... SMB3 on the GBA was $20!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

id pay £30 for NES games. quality of them is above most games out these days. at the airport a few weeks back i had a massive choice of all the top GBA games and every DS game, but i chose the Super Mario Bros NES classic.

but thats just me.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

That's more the fault of the prices of cartridges. $20 is considered to be on the cheaper end of spectrum for a new GBA game.

Anyways, I expect details to emerge September at the Tokyo Game Show. Here's to hoping something iTunes-like. Some light DRM for Nintendo's sake (I can see these games being easily pirated considering ROM sizes are very tiny). I hope it's possible to transfer old games to computers and get some emulators for your computers or transfer games to a Nintendo DS, the GBA's predecessor, and/or future game consoles. I don't want this capability limited to just the Revolution.

Looks like I might have a job soon, so maybe I should start seriously saving up to buy a Revolution and some games ;)

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I can almost guarantee that Nintendo won't let you transfer games to a PC of any sort... I can however see them letting you wireless shoot games onto your DS, at least NES and SNES. Doubt that the DS has enough power to emulate the N64 tho...

What would be the BEST is if they have a d/l service for the DS as well, and if you buy a game on your Revolution you can download it onto your DS whenever you like (from any hotspot). Bandwidth wouldn't be an issue, as NES/SNES games max out at a few megs when compressed, and it would definitely improve sales. I'd gladly pay a few bux for a SNES game IF I could grab it on my DS whenever I felt like it.

If they let you buy games on the web and then d/l onto your DS wirelessly without a Revolution, well, I would buy one NOW and go ape crazy at the iNintendo store!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Who needs to download games, when I still have all the old consoles? (including Virtual Boy!) :rolloeyes: :p

14. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'd be even better if they could offer "ripping" from your own cartridges...though I doubt that'd ever happen. Perhaps they could have some sort of discount if you could prove you already had the game, but just wanted a "portable" or "revolution" version of it.

15. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

NOTE: Nintendo recommends users do not rolleyes while using Virtual Boy to prevent dizziness and nausea.

Like having to provide thumb-protecting gloves for the first Mario Party. Must've worn off a few layers of skin playing that rafting mini-game :p