Revolution summary. we'll know soon

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2 days and 6 hours till we know. i thought you guys might find this interesting, its a summary of all we know about the Rev by a journalist. its smart, nothing too far out of the ordinary. compiled with quotes from Revolution witnesses too.

sorry if there is a lot there. you can see the full post here

I think he bangs the nail on the head with the NGC port bit. Why wouldn't we be able to play GC games on the Revs controller? is the idea to play all the old games and GC using GC controllers? even though (i think) an official source said that the Rev's controller would have to be able to play all the old games on?

I reckon gyroscopics will be involved for sure, why invest all this money in that gyroscope company just for Yoshis Topsy Turvey and Wario Ware Twisted? also i suspect a range of sensors built into the controllers. heart rate monitor (these are cheap, my running machine came with option extras and they were only £4.99), sensors to pick up how tight you're holding the controller, microphone (just like the DS and Mario Party 6), 'buttonless' pressure pads (to enable 'drumming' Donky Konga style).
    tis my guess. chances are there will be games that don't use these features, but adding a heart rate monitor in something like Eternal Darkness would be ground breaking.

im pretty certain that by TGS we will be seeing Rev games, we will know its specs and power, the elusive controller and its vast array of secrets, and us fans will start saving our pennies ;)

your take on this? the final 'we dont about...!' Rev topic before the big day itself...

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, the 'obvious' use of the GCN ports is so you can use your old GCN controllers since... you have them already? I mean to say that if the console is going to be backward compatible with GCN games so you can keep playing the stuff you already own, I suspect that the addition of the GCN controller ports is the same logic, nothing to do with any super space age feature of the controller (Augmented Reality? VR? C'mon, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but that's a little out there for this generation of hardaware)!

3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

ah, I love that sweet time of rumors where everything seems possible... in two days, it is going to be back to gamesbusiness as usual for a couple years...unless they truly come up with something revolutionary of course :)

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm not so sure that the tilt of the stand really has that much to do with anything, in my opinion. I think it may just be a design decision, or provide some MINOR benefit...The degree to which it is slanted doesn't make it THAT much more likely to be tipped over, I would think, and not all gamers keep their consoles lower than their controllers. This especially being the case when you remove the cords: my Revolution can now rest directly above the TV, without having to worry about the cord from the controller draping in front of the television.

...just my thoughts...

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, I think the slanted stand is merely an aesthetic feature, partly because it can be taken out and laid down horizontally. The rest of it looks cool, but I see AR/VR being one of these optional-extra packages

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

thats the thing, why use NGC controllers if the Rev's controllers are supposed to be backwards compatible? actually i just had a mini idea that they may be used as charging and/or wired ports for Rev controllers. which would make sense, i hardly think Nintendo would use run of the mill USB ports.

what i think the journalist was getting at was the Rev controllers will be so different to the current hardware that it would be impossible to play Cube games on them. meaning we're in for a massive shift in player>game interfacing.

more and more i think this is going to be a massive step in gaming. if for nothing more than what the 3rd parties are saying about the Rev. its almost like X company director says "its going to be a revolution", next thing you know X company has signed the Rev development list.

Also note that Resident Evil 5 has yet to be officially announced for the Rev. its coming to Xbox 360 and PS3 (because really they are the same system, just different labels, oh and the PS3 can handle waaay better physics *moan etc* :p ), but, there's no doubt it will be coming out on the Rev too. my guess is that it will be a slightly different game? like using a heart rate monitor to see how scared you are making your characters aim worse or whatever.

Edit: also about the stand, at first he got me thinking. but now i think it purely is aesthetics. although just turning the stand around you could have the Rev pointing down. if it had any special use then surely the stand would be adjustable.

ps. the Revolution is just its project name too. thats something i think the journalist missed out on. the real name is yet to be announced. im hoping for the Nintendo RS... my site is 5th on google searching "Nintendo RS"!

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So I don't have to spend $40 on each extra new one to play multiplayer NGC games I already have? They could also serve, as you mention as charging ports for wireless controllers.

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

If the Nintendo VR was real...I think any NGamer that saw that started hyperventilating. It would be very cool, and while I doubt it is real, I started questioning the reality of the fakeness when Nintendo showed pictures of the Revolution "prototype"...seemed far too simple. And with the DS, you know the revolution will have to have some new interaction method, even if just a gyroscope controller or something.

Either way, I'll buy one.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'll probably get one as well, but for me anyways, it all rides on the way they do the downloadable 'retro' games. It they are cheap and the selection is good then I will get one, otherwise I will wait for the first price drop and a good collection of post launch games.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The less obvious answer for the GC ports is peripherals. Such as the GBA Link Cable, and DK Bongos.

11. applekid macrumors 68020

Here's an idea I haven't seen anywhere else:

Exhibit A: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000740050460/

There's been a lot of talk about these "display keyboards" that have little LCDs or LEDs that display a certain graphic. What could be "revolutionary" with the Revolution is allowing the player to build a controller. I don't know how, but maybe you have a whole controller of buttons and you can add a control to each button.

We shall know this week with TGS... I hope Nintendo is planning to do their own expo (like a SpaceWorld in the fall or winter) to at least allow people to play the Revolution since there isn't any Nintendo booths at TGS.

If the Revolution is going to change how we fundamentally play games, let's remember how we play games right now:

You have the player, a controller, and a character/characters/sprite that interacts with things on a screen. The player is interacting with the controller and everything on the screen. The player is also entertained by everything happening on the screen.

So, tell me how you can revolutionize that? Somehow I think something immersive like a VR headset or one of the VR/AR ideas (where you would become the character) would be the way to change gaming fundamentally. Although affordability and the reality of that materializing seems really seem.

On an off-topic note: I hope they'll still be selling GameCube games cheaply once Revolution comes out. I'm going to be collecting some games from this current generation of consoles (the PS2 and GCN), so I'm hoping I can get them new cheap as I save up cash from my project :) (I really dislike used games)

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

im planning something similar. might get me a slim-line PStwo once the price drops. you americans are lucky, games are dirt cheap. remember when there was that whole shock-fest when Xbox 360 games were rumoured to cost $60... thats about the price of normal games in regular high street shops to us brits!

when it comes to buying the 'cool' consoles i like to wait ;)

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Good summation!

I think the RS (which is what it'll be called) will have a multitude of features beyond the controller.

1) The system will wirelessly transmit NES and SNES games to a blank GBA cart. This one is a no brainer.

2) The interface will be 90% voice controlled. You will be able to select your favorite Nintendo character as your 'guide.'
    When you turn on the RS, Mario for instance, will walk into the screen and say "Hello Kuyu! What do you want to do today?"
    You say "I want to play your game".
    He'll say "Which one?"
    "Mario RS, of course!"
    It loads...

If you had said super mario bros. 2 'he' would automatically download it for you and load it up. If you say "I want to take it with me," he will wirelessly transmit it to your DS.

3) This will extend beyond your system too. If I say "Mario, what's GFLPraxis doing?" He'd respond "Hold on". GFL would be notified onscreen by Mario who would say "GFLPraxis, Kuyu wants to talk to you, are you busy?" You get the idea.

4) Instead of following the Live model, RS Wifi will work more like facebook, myspace, or friendster. You will be able to game with anyone, but only interact post-game with your friends. Thus, I could talk to my little cousin anytime, but you all could not. Very good for parents.

5) Your 'guide' will also learn your habits/info and make comments and actions accordingly. On your birthday, you'll get a digital cake. Your guide will notify your friends and have them sign your card. If you play in the evening but boot-up late once your guide will comment.

6) The guide will also be omnipresent. That is, you can summon their assistance at any time (sort of like the 360 button on the M$ controller).

Just my predictions. This doesn't require "new" technology, just some clever programming. And talk about Revolutionary!

***If I'm right, you all owe me five bucks ;)

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You've got some interesting ideas, kuyu.
    Interesting guess for the name, is it based off those older rumors?

Hm. Maybe. I wouldn't call it a no brainer.

The only blank GBA carts are Flash Carts, which are quite expensive, and adapters like the Play-Yan. Play-Yan is very possible, even likely; remember, Play-Yan uses SD cards. Revolution uses SD cards.

Transmitting to flash carts would be more difficult. Firstly, there's the piracy issue. Solve that with a DRM perhaps? Secondly, there is how to run them.

You could easily emulate the NES with a GBA, but not the SNES. Before you suggest using the DS, when you boot off the GBA cart, the firmware automatically shuts off the ARM9 processor and second screen, so it's reduced to the same power as a GBA.

HOWEVER; blank DS carts would work.

Good and very interesting idea.

Also good idea.

I suspect it will be an enhanced version of the DS online.

You could talk with anyone you actually know, like your little cousin, and people that you know online (say exchanged names with on a forum), but couldn't add people you randomly run into while playing online.

I dunno, my impression was that Nintendo isn't fond of the "do-everything" consoles with stuff like a guide.

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Kuyu,

What a fantastic post -- thanks.

If I've got like, a little Mario attendant living in my Revolution (and who ever thought that phrase would be a possible linguistic expression), I better get a better birthday gift than a digital cake. I mean, if there's a Mario attendant half as good as what you're describing, I'm going to expect him to grade papers for me (and maybe do the laundry, too).

Speculation is so much fun ...

16. ibilly macrumors regular

Not the Nintendo RS

Nintendo wouldn't call it the 'RS'. (btw, it's my impression that you all are deriving this mostly from the Revolution codename) Think about it the 'DS' means Dual screen. What would RS stand for? Real[ity] Screen, Rear Screen, rapid, rotating... there are some wonderful possibilities, but I think that stating that it will be the RS is either hasty, or you're not telling us something....

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Oh heavens, NO, that would suck balls. Imagine trying to play in the middle of something, such as you sis playing her stereo at full blast while you try and play the rev.

Or imagine all the irritated people telling you to shut the f*ck up because they're trying to get some sleep while you try and pull an all-nighter on the latest zelda series yelling the notes to the instrument link decides to use next...

18. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Kuyu, you're awarded the prize for greatest post of the month! :D

ibilly, the GBA SP stands for "special", so why not?

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the voice controlled interface is something very likely at least for nintendo games (and if they put a microphone directly in the controller)
    i was pretty much surprised by mario party 6 and how well it works .. i mean you could literally say "pause" and then "back to the game"

actually some of the rumors (wireless cameras etc.) are really extreme ... at the moment i'm looking for ways to make the time go by faster...

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

its a simple one ibilly; Revolution System. a lot of rumour sites are picking up on that. no smoke without fire? also look at the current gen; Gameboy+Gamecube. DS+RS? its a possibility but i suppose nobody is certain :)

and Kuyu... fantastic idea! was a real life LOL situation. and that is very possible. not sure how it'd work with multiplayers though... but hell they're playing with microphones and voice recognition so who knows? *whistling to bring your Nintendog to you is insane*

...*1 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes, 30 seconds remain*...

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

wasn't the DS actually called "developer system" or something like that and they simply kept the DS ? RS seems very likely

at the moment i can't wait to see the interface: controller _and_ GUI screens..

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Takao you're right. the DS's real name is Developer System. its just been given the street name of Dual Screen. Developer and Revolution, maybe the DS is a step up to the RS? showing you the route they're taking.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

perhaps somebody else seen it as well:
    [​IMG]

in the other forum i cought up that they posted that the character in the NES game Gumshoe (pretty close to the pictured GumShu) is called Detective Stevenson just like on the picture so it might be actually real..

the other words which can be seen even fit into scheme of the first one where he has to rescue his daughter ("save" is visible here) and he had a bad day before (first sentence)

http://forums.advancedmn.com/showthread.php?t=11674&page=4&pp=15
    http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/fran/gumshoe.shtml

if it's fake it's one of a truly dedicated fan.. you've gotta come up with that stuff first..

edit: the bottom part of the screen looks kinda like dock with the icons left and right of "software" greyed out..

edit: the buttons right to "play" are "highscores" "discuss" and "reviews".. anybody can read the bottom right menu description ? we need those CSI guys NOW ! ;)

25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

i've seen that floating around, and a few people can say this is indeed a projected image, just not sure if its somebodies own projector with a computer hooked up.

whats also interesting in the middle of the dock it shows a controller?
    also the resolution is much greater than that of a regular current gen console. it doesn't look 1080 but 720. i'd have to say (judging by what a 640x480 image on a projector that size would look like! and by the clarity of the fonts).

is also looks like it would match the Rev prototype console. remember the one they showed was black with blue lights. its got similarities.

BUT. it says "14:24PM". thats a give away. Nintendo don't usually make mistakes like that, hell, not even M$.
    its quite old too. surprised this wasn't leaked sooner. why wait a month before showing? right before the public unveiling of the Rev?

HOLD ON! is it me or do the 'play, high score, review, discuss' text look like they're not in perspective?

starting to think this is a fake. but a very good one.