Revolution Tech Details

Discussion in 'Games' started by michaelltd, Dec 5, 2005.

1. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

In addition to the usual library of Nintendo gems, it could probably be popular amongst people wants something small and quiet, instead of the big and noisy MS and Sony behemoths.

I'm kind of guessing it will positition itself as the #3 console...

A shame about no HD though... seeing as I whould be connecting it to my LCD I hope it will at least come with VGA or DVI connectors.

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What?! Only 64MB more of RAM [Than the GameCube]?!!!

WTF?! :mad:

Thats barely any more...

I know graphics don't make the game, but still... 4+ years later, and this is it?

4. michaelltd thread starter macrumors regular

michaelltd

Yeah, that one surprised me there.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

the Rev. sounds so nice but come on nintendo.....give us the full 100 and give more than that. this system has the potential to bring the N back to the race.

Bless

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

HD graphics require more memory...

Anyway, some of this stuff sounds EXTREMELY sketchy.

That suggests the 512 MB of Flash memory being used to save stuff, but those techies among us know that:
    1) Flash memory is too slow to be used as RAM
    2) Flash memory wears out if you rapidly write to it like you do RAM

So this is kinda nonsensical.

All this is "anonymous developer X told us..."
    GameInformer had the same thing. "an anonymous source we have told us that the Revolution controller is a touchscreen!"

Anyway, I think Arstechnica's speculation makes the most sense. They claim to have an insider at IBM that has informed them that IBM sold the same PowerPC core design to all three console manufacturers (which is why the 360 and PS3 have the same core), and that the Revolution will use a variant of the same core as the other two, and Arstechnica speculates that it would be less powerful but have more cache (adding cache takes less power and generates less heat than ramping more to the execution part), which would give the Revolution better physics/AI/game control but weaker floating point performance/graphics.

On top of that, since they don't have GPU specs, that 128 MB might be the system RAM. Perhaps there is another 128 MB of VRAM? Or perhaps that's it? Dunno.

Since this is an early dev kit running off overclocked GameCubes with extra RAM and not even using the Revolution GPU, I'd call this article sketchy at best. Sounds to me like some of the people talking are confused and unsure ("Uhm, you may be able to use more RAM but not really, and Nintendo is saving stuff on it..." and "There might be 64 MB more RAM than on the GameCube, but we don't know what the GPU is like

IF it ends up being true that its closer to current gen and is more powerful than an XBox, seriously, it might launch at a $150 price point.

Personally, I'm going to hold out that Arstechnica is right, that it'll look deceptively low (one or two underclocked versions of the XBox 360 core instead of 3 at 3.2 GHz to save power and heat, but with a ton of cache, so its quite good at physics/AI/game control, better than the other consoles possibly, but nowhere near the raw floating point execution power of the other two- having less cores and a lower clock speed it would feel less powerful until the developers take advantage of the cache).

Another possibility is that its less RAM, but its very fast RAM. I dunno. I'm hoping for the best.

Although if the Revolution was sorta a souped-up current gen console, in between current and next gen, but sold for $150 with that awesome controller, I think it would end up in a lot of houses because people could afford to buy it as a second console- heck, it would barely cost more than the XBox 360's hard drive.

7. tom.96 macrumors regular

Well I'm looking forward to Revolution. I think N will give a good machine. I'm tempted to buy the DS soon as well!

I have always enjoyed N stuff, and the ideas they have in their games have always been brilliant no matter what the hardware has been.

I have faith!

8. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I think it's a little premature to speculate on anything. We'll get the facts sooner or later, but it will be a while.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

OMGZZ!! TH3R3 1S N0 W@Y 1 G3T T3H R3XXOXOR NOOW!!!11x N3NT1ND0 SUXX0RZ!!!!!!!!11112three
    ZOMG! N0 HD 1NPUT!!!!! LOLZZZ!!!!

the utterly brilliant thing is, this is the next PS1. Nintendo has a big as developer support base as they had with the Snes, or Sony with the PS1. it will be cheaper than the competition, it will also have the lowest specs. Sound like the PS1 to anyone else? This thing is going to sell like frikkin hot cakes - anyone who disagrees (barring the "hot cake" opinion) hasn't been up to date with gaming news, or just plain don't like Nintendo.

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

There are two ways of making console hardware. Lean and mean or giant and nasty.

The latter is definitely the PS3 and 360. They have so many cores, so much horsepower and it is all strapped together with huge busses. It's a programming nightmare in many respects but it does allow programmers to be slack and produce heavy code with respectable results.

The GameCube was lean and mean, small but exceptionally fast RAM, fast interconnects, small but powerful chips (especially Flipper). I expect the Revolution to be similar.

Out of the last revolution, the PS2 looked the worst (even though it had a ton of power), the GameCube was the fastest and the Xbox looked the best. Expect more of the same.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that.. without the GPU being finished discussion about ram sizes etc. is rather pointless after all the xbox360 got bumped to 512 rather late in their cycle as well

i expect the overall memory being between 128 and 256 in the end
    after all the gamecube had 24 mb main memory and 16 mb auxiliary (+ frame buffers)

is that 128 main memory only or including auxiliary as well ?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whats even more interesting is that the VP guy from Epic said that the Unreal 3 engine could be ported to the Rev.

At this moment in time I'm not believing anything where the Rev is concerned. There's too much range in the rumours from "updated Xbox/GC" to "can run Unreal 3 engine".

May I take a pinch of salt?

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's tough keeping all of the stories surrounding this straight. It's even tougher separating the rumors from the facts, but didn't we hear that the Revolution was going to have a dedicated physics processor (or core, or whatever)? Anyway, I've said this many times before, or at least thought it, but this is definintely going to surprise a lot of people, including Sony and MS fans, I'd bet. Nintendo is doing a superb job at keeping this thing under wraps, only releasing bits of information at a time, enough to keep all of us buzzing about it (and driving a lot of us insaine). I'd say that most of us are going to go out the day it's released and pick up a system (even though it may be the "weakest") because it's going to be so darned awesome.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dont know about the reality of this, i think its still a rumour. but consensus is that the Rev will have a small separate CPU and RAM to process the controller data. Some kind of Physics engine. or was it that the Rev will have its own hardware Physics Processing Unit, so developers will have a very easy time coding for it.
    This is a perfect example how of little we know about the Rev :)

Also, another power rumour to stick in the fray; Retro Studios said that Metroid Prime 3 will have a much bigger graphical improvement than what we saw from 1 to 2. Apparently Retro Studios also talking about details, that they want a lot more little things on screen. This really makes me think that the Rev will be HDTV compatible. throw in the whole monitor output thing, the fact that even the regular Xbox can do HDTV. :eek:

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Thats what it was, a PPU. Regardless, I still want one and will have one. Even my wife is (somewhat) excited. She thinks they look very nice, and she's glad that they're not supposed to be as expensive. She's even somewhat excited about the games (mario party 7, even though its a current gen game). Now all I have to do is get her to call it the proper name. She still calls the cube a Playstation or an XBox.

16. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

oh man, i am so glad i have found this place.
    topics like this are popping up on forums all over the internet (ign etc) and all i read are 14 year olds shouting out nonsense till they're blue in the face! (no offence to any 14 year olds here : ] )
    here i get calm, reasonable, mature disscusions, with no "****" or "noob" in sight! ^_^

anyway, im not worried about the revolution at all. i don't really understand all this RAM, CPU, GPU talk, but i just know that the revolution will be awesome. regardless of what 'numbers' are inside. simply because i love nintendo, and trust them.

i also have an extra reason not to worry...
    i cant say much, but lets just say i have a friend, who works somewhere, who is able to give me small ammounts of info, not much, but enough to get me so damn excited that im actually going to spend close to £1000 of my student loan to travel to LA for E3 2006! : ]
    ... im.so.excited!!

peace : ]

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yup. Its success in the minds of the readers of this thread is pretty much pre-ordained, I'd wager. ("It's powered by solar batteries? The Revolution is GENIUS!") ;)

I contend that all three manufacturers make consoles for *different* segments of the market. Nintendo's customers will always be Nintendo's customers; the hardware it runs on is pretty much moot.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Exactly. Sony and MS are hardware people. More power! Nintendo is about gameplay. Nintendo is the only place where I can play Mario, Zelda and Metroid. It's why I'm getting a Revolution and not even considering the PS3 or XBox 360. Nintendo knows they have a loyal fan base because of their First Party games, they know that we will buy what they deliver as long as the hardware runs the software.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd be worried mate ;) when the Revolution is revealed in its final form and gameplay videos follow... well you just better be wearing some bloody ear protectors. I worry for me too. the whole world is going to cheer and scream.

This place has got its fair share of empty heads though. You get people who still say that "Nentindo is 4 teh k1dd13s", and that its graphics sucks and etc...

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Fortunately for us, we're in a Mac Forum, so we all understand about supporting the "lesser*" system.

*Lesser in the eyes of the world. Both the Mac and the Revolution are awesome.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree with your contention but I'm not sure about your conclusion.

Nintendo is doing something different. They are not going for the same market as the PS3 and XBox 360, and yes, they'll cater to their existing customers, but they're also going to be catering to a new market. They're trying to pick up the people who don't usually play video games or are new to them, the people who have trouble with a regular controller,the long time gamers that are exhausted by the repetative nature of today's games and want something new, and the budget gamers. PS3 and XBox 360 will target the hardcore buyers and early adopters (PS3 will also target early video format adopters) initially, then later on target the current market that they already cater too.

They're going with the market of innovation. One of the best articles I've read: http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html

And IMHO, they're right. Super Mario Bros 3 outsold Grand Theft Auto and Halo put together; the original Super Mario Bros outsold Halo, Halo 2, Fable, and Splinter Cell put together (the top selling XBox games) by over two times. And yes, while the PS2 outsold the NES, the NES still outsold the XBox, GameCube, and Dreamcast put together by far, and was far more profitable than the PS2 (which wasn't profitable for Sony until 2005!).

http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=1177

60 million NES's sold.

Between the SNES and Genesis, the next generation sold 85 million.

Now? Between PS2, XBox, GameCube, and Dreamcast, 124 million.

At the same time the world population increased by 50% over those 20 years.

Frankly; the video game market isn't expanding very fast. It's rapidly losing its profitability for the console manufacturers- it took Sony most of the PS2's life span before it became profitable and made back the investment they made, Microsoft lost 4 billion dollars, and Sega got toasted and dropped out entirely. Nintendo is the only one that had a system that was profitable it's entire life cycle, but the marketshare dwindles. IMHO, Nintendo has the right idea. While Microsoft and Sony try to peddle their upgrades to the same customers that bought the previous system, Nintendo is going to try to keep their current fans but get a completely new market.

22. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

23. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

That would be a viable explanation for the minimal hardware uprades.

But again, all of this is speculation.

24. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I have a good feeling some of this stuff will be revamped be its intitial release. I have a good feeling it will support some sort of high resolution output before its release.

The reason i say this is nintendo wanted to have the revolution be a PC buddy and have it hook right up to your monitor which means it has a good chance of having a high res output.

Only time will reveal how much truth is actually in this article.

25. mkaake macrumors 65816

from what I'm reading, I think the second set of information is right. Here's why...

1. while the console is deff. not as powerful (or appears to be) as the 360 or ps3, it doesn't need to be. By sticking to SD instead of HD, the rev doesn't need to be as powerful to produce stunning graphics. but that's not really why I think they went this route. I think...

2. For the market segment nintendo is trying to capture, top of the line graphics aren't as important. They'll be better than current gen, and enough to make the non-gamer type stop and take a look. And since we don't really know the final specs on the video (other than twice as powerful as gamecube), it's hard to say just how good they'll be able to make it look.

3. lately, I've been showing a lot of non-gamers the intro video for the new controller. Doesn't matter the age group, they get excited (while it's a bit over 50/50 for the gamers croud). However, these 'non gamers' that nintendo is going after would never consider paying 400 bucks for a console - but 150, yeah - they'd do that. Over thanksgiving we had a family get together, and my mother picked up my sister's gameboy (her hubby bought it for her as a birthday gift last year, and she's addicted), and decided to go out and buy one. Why? not because of awesome graphics, but because the gameplay was something she could sit down and do, without having to take time to learn it.

4. another thing I've noticed lately is that most of my friends are *seriously* jaded by the current round of games... it's just a lot of the same. what we find ourselves doing is pulling out the nes and snes (and the n64 for some good old perfect dark), and getting completely engrossed in these old games. why? because they were good games. they didn't always look pretty, but they were very engaging... and you just get sucked in.

I'm hoping to see a lot more of that with the revolution. we'll see. in any event, it'll be plenty powerful, though on paper it'll look paltry compared to the HD machines. I personally don't care about HD, but that's because I don't have an HDTV, and don't plan on wasting money on one for a *very* long time. Of course, the croud nintendo is going after likely won't either.

Anyhew, this will likely lead to more people calling the nintendo offering a kiddy console, childish games, blah blah blah (though there will be plenty of mature games too), but I don't really think I care. I'm all for having a system that I just really enjoy playing, and does something new. *shrugs shoulders*

Maybe that just labels me as a fanboy though?