Revolution.. what does it lack?

Discussion in 'Games' started by rye9, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Now with the xBox 360 revealed, we know that it's power "brick" can be modified.. it could definitely benefit from built in wireles..it could generate less heat, and it could be cheaper. Other than a possible lack of HD support in the revolution, does anyone think there are any other potential problems with the Revolution? I hope there are none bc I would love to get the first rev. ASAP, however I will wait to see if a better, cheaper 360 comes out bc i might be interested in one of those.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Who know i guess we'll find out when it comes...wait you are talking about Nintendo REV. right?

Bless

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Yes, I am talking about the Nintendo Revolution but when I used "rev. ASAP", in my original post, I meant revision.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Lack of HD, and *possibly* lack of as much power as the competitors, that's all I can think of.

5. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

It'll be so damn fun to play you'll end up gluing your hands to the remote?

Seriously, play WarioWare: Twisted, and tell me a console based around this entire concept wouldn't rock for many years to come.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

True, but remember Nintendo has a patent on displacement mapping which will make the graphics possibly on par or better than the other 2 next gen systems while using less power and performance. Much like how a 300hp supra would smoke a 600hp muscle car from the 60's. It's all about tuning the system for optimization and not just brute power. There is a harddrive or flash based memory otherwise how would you play old gen games on it?? It just won't be 20gigs probably

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ah, yet another one of these 'magic patent' theories.

Displacement mapping is a common technique in the games industry, bud, and is already in use on many PC games and the XBox 360.

And the Revolution has a flash drive at 512 MB.

I'll add this to my list of rumors to squash.

8. Lastinline39 macrumors newbie

Lack of HD mainly (Problem for some, not for others). Price if it is $299 (Since that Nintendo guy said it would be cheaper than 300, but I know it will probably be 100-200 so then its a benefit not a problem). We'll have to wait to see if Nintendo's online play will be anywhere near that of Xbox or will just be like PS2's. The main problem will be the games. Yes, Nintendo will have great first party games like Mario and the like. And Nintendo related products will be good, but due to the huge difference between the other consoles in terms of power and the controller I think even less ports will come to Rev than GC. You can't call yourself any kind of gamer if you can't play next gen GTA :).

9. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Hahahaha.....lol...oh man, don't even get me started on THAT topic!!!

Ok, back to the thread topic.. I'd love to see a hard drive, EXCELLENT 3rd party support, and an ethernet jack (Im not a huge fan of wireless). I don't think HD is necessary just yet. in 5 or 6 years, absolutely! but for now, just improve the physics, emotions, AI, and overall textures and I'll be ecstatic.

oh and I'd LOVE to see the Nintendo ON! (haha, jk)

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm pretty sure the rumour was that Nintendo will use displacement mapping much more efficiently. We know everyone uses it...

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Correct. According to Playbomb:
    If you're not familiar with the technology, it's pretty amazing stuff. That image is not directly from Nintendo, but apparently is similar to some of the technology they're patenting. This type of thing can go a long way towards creating more visual detail with a minimum of CPU/GPU drain. Detailed images can be produced from special precalculated bitmaps combined with low-poly models. It does bring into question the amount of VRAM on the Revolution, however, if more bitmaps will need to be stored on the GPU.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Except that PlayBomb does not actually analyze the patent at any point. Sites reported the exact same thing about Nintendo's Cube-mapping patent (a more efficient way of rendering that would make the Revolution just as good as the competitors), and after a line by line analysis it was shown to be nothing like that. It's possible it could be as rumored, but based on my many experiences with wrongly-interpreted patent, I am immediately very skeptical. I'll be analyzing this on NintendoPlayers later this week.

I just want to remind people not to take rumor as fact.

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

True, we don't know precisely what if means (or even if it's something that will be used in the Revolution), but the actual patent application states:
    That seems pretty unambiguous that it means a method of making bump/displacement/normal mapping more efficient.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nothing. as a Nintendo player since childhood and a player only interested in Gameplay I can say that the Rev presses all my buttons. downloadable retro games, lack of uber graphics means a smaller, cheaper unit so I'm all for that.

what does it lack? I'll get back to you on that. there will be something. like a max of 4 players perhaps? hmm.

me? I'm not the slightest bothered with all this cube mapping/whatever its called now. its not a main feature, Nintendo are not touting it as a main feature, thats more a MS or Sony thing to do. Nintendo will, and have only advertised the experience and nothing to do with the rendering. You can imagine at E3 now

Iwata: Yes! The moment you've been waiting a year for! The secret Rev technology in the controller is... Cube Mapping!... no really! CUBE MAPPING!... ... ... I'll get me coat.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm not concerned about a maximum of 4 players, but I do wonder about the limitation of 4 controllers, since I can easily see games putting two or more controllers per player to good use (one strapped on each leg or arm, for example).

It will let games look better on the more modest Revolution hardware...all else being equal, that's a good thing.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

my guesses are that perhaps it will be lacking the ethernet port
    as much as i like wireless i think for a lot of people (like students) who have the TV close to their computer a standard wired connection is better.. of course it's also less error prone
    but that's only speculation

apart from that i don't see many flaws be design.. perhaps 2 USB ports aren't enough for future add ons or something but i'm not sure what they have planned for those ports i would have included 2

power wise i'm not sure.. if they can pull of twice the power of the xbox/gamecube it will look quite good to me ... but of course HD tv might be problem for the US market but that has yet to be proven

that aside i think going with a standard like SD for memory add-on is perhaps the greatest idea they had.. 512mb internal might be enough for a lot but game demos of revolution games might not be possible with that ... but perhaps they allow external USB hard discs (for what else is the USB there ? connecting the sensors for the controllers peraps bu what else ?) to save demos etc.

17. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Biggest flaw... that it is not out yet? So far the only thing I can judge is the controller and it seems pretty innovative. Can someone verify that I read somewhere that the Revolution will be announced in it's entirety in May.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lets be a little cocky... in the style of a chav

The Revolution will have reduced graphics (well, SD will look the same but no HD) so developers will have to focus on something other than graphics. and we all know graphics are teh l33t. but there is nothing other than graphics. games aren't important, its what else they do. If I can't engage in conversation with my Revolution and let it replace my lack of friends then I'll be a bit miffed. so miffed I'll get drunk.

/chav

The later the Revolution will be until its release date the more promising I think it will be HD enabled. Even if its just 720p. Longer down the line=more people with HDTV's. so long as I'm watching in some kind of widescreen 480p via VGA and looking immaculate on my 2005FPW I'll be intensely jolly.
    Interestingly, I read an article about the Revolution in Nuts/Zoo/some guy mag this morning (not mine :rolleyes: no really. not mine) and they seemed to love it. though they had 'screenshots' of Rev games such as Animal Crossing Revolution (Animal Crossing: Population Growing ;) ) and Mario 128 (the old pre-Gamecube video ;) ).

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe somebody said that the Revolution will be playable at E3 2006. Whether or not it releases before then (so it WILL be playable, but we'd all have one anyways) is a mystery.

Theres a lot of speculation over Thanksgiving but that seems not right to me. maybe because I'm british. its like the Revs euro release date would just be after a date set to please americans.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think the only thing the Revolution lacks for me to not purchase is....

A release date :p

Cant come sooner, and give me Twilight Princess now ninty too....

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeahi don't see a point in releasing any console that late... sure you get the christmas season but on launch a lot of people will buy it who were waiting for it for some long time and then people who want to buy it as christmas presents very likely won't get one... as it happend with the 360 of which there haven't been a second shipment since the launch or as it happend with the mario kart DS bundle which was impossible to find

launch 1-2 months before the start of the shopping season so that the first batch goes to the waiting fans/early adopters so that you can have enough piled up again when shopping season starts

22. Motley macrumors 6502

What does it lack... Any real information about it. All judgement is reserved until final or near final working product shows up, not tech demos.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes, Nintendo has already put out invitations to the press and announced that it will be fully shown with titles and all and possibly even playable at E3 2006, in May.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

How do you know it will be less powerful? According to multiple sources (I can't remember who), Nintendo will be going for large caches and lower clocks (cheaper and cooler). Also, Nintendo have said they will release a shell controller (probably comes with the console), and GC controllers will work with the Revo. Oh, and what kind of gamer are you that sees GTA as the ultimate? :rolleyes:

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't call myself a gamer can i? you mean my stack of rare and expensive NES games, my classic GB, my range of classic joysticks, my GC with 20 games and my GBA with 25 games are not something that a gamer has? riiight.