Revolution will have some power!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tommyg117, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

There have been several posts on here about how weak powerwise the revolution will be. I don't know how much this article means, but it's a step in the right direction! Although I'm not sure if they mean it will have no trouble competing with Xbox 360 graphics-wise or because the controller is just so darn cool. Enjoy!

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/690/690730p1.html

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the most interesting part:

2000 $ ? looks like they are after the smaller developers for sure

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, I mean a system capable of running the Unreal 3 engine must have some power. I still stand by the belief that all next gen consoles will look identical in SD resolutions.

at $2000 I think I'll buy a Rev kit after university!

So now thats; cheap dev kit, easy to code for, low console cost... Anyone else thinking that the Rev is going to surprise the console world with a killer machine?
    what I like most is that at ~£1200 design studios and small time developers will be able to get games out. Bedroom coding may be reborn again like in the Amiga days. Means more of those fantastic independent games.

I am so excited about the Rev. It's like they've taken all these brilliant features and slammed them into a realistically priced (estimated of course) little games machine.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

That makes me wonder about what'll happen as far as the download service as well. Maybe something like what Microsoft has with the XBL marketplace. We can download and run arcade-type games. And if the homebrew is easy on the Revolution, which I imagine it will be, is there any chance we will see the New Satan Sam ported to the Revolution, raggedjimmi? :D

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's the big ?

Yes the dev kit's are relativly inexpensive, but how will the games be published?

It would be cool if they had an online service like Xbox live arcade..

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed this is most excellent. I (as i stated many times) always thought that the REV. will be up to par with the PS3/X360 and this makes it wonderful. I am still hoping that $200 or $250 price tag will remain in tact and many games be developed for the REV....not like how the poor GC was snatched this generation.

Bless

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

One of our writers at NP made a very interesting point...IGN's 'developer sources' were making price range estimates of $100-$150, maybe as high as $200 but probably not. Now they got newer dev kits and it jumped to $150-$200 estimates, and the upcoming dev kits are suposed to be even better.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But overall they say its power is about twice that of the GameCube. So maybe not up to Xbox 360 or PS3 at HiDef 720p/1080, but at 480p I imagine it will be hard to tell the difference between the three..

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

These comments about 480p always crack me up. Most Nintendo fans have always said "Only XX% of the US population have HD TV, who needs support for it?" I guess they all forgot that you need a HD TV to run progressive scan?

BTW don't bring up EDTV because anyone who would buy an EDTV over HD is insane. :D Oh and in the rest of the world we've never even heard of EDTV.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True my TV's are all HDTV and I first went HDTV so I could play my Xbox & Cube at 480p.

I know there's a huge leap in quality and as these consoles are going to be around for 5 years, and nearly every TV you can buy these day's is HD-Ready it seems unwise that Nintendo aren't fully supporting standard HD resolutions.

Yes I'd love Mario 128 & Metroid to be in 720p and part of me is keeping my fingers crossed (afterall the Xbox supports 720p on a number of titles, so it's not unfeasable)...

But regardless of whether they do or not support HD, I will buy Revolution.
    Just as I will buy Ps3 and have bought 2 360's :)...

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You aren't the only 1.

12. SirCrispin macrumors newbie

SirCrispin

I really don't get why so many people are still obsessed with how good the graphics are gonna be! The graphics on Starfox Adventures and the new Zelda are pretty much perfect in my opinion; if the Rev. is 2 or 3 times as powerful as the GC, that's more than enough for me. Nintendo have made it perfectly clear that emphasis is on actual fun games. Forgive me for not fainting at the those graphics-that-oh-wow-are-so-realistic-it's-like-i'm-in-the-game-apart-from-the-
    fact-that-it-doesn't-actually-look-real-now-does-it of the X360 and PS3. And the whole HDTV thing IS stupid!

And as for the dev kits, I read that the $2,000 cost is in comparison with the PS2's and XBOX's $20,000 prices, and their successors are even costlier. I can't wait for the Revolution, it's gonna rock my socks :D

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

@SirCrispin

I'm not obsessed with graphics I just know that you need a HDTV to play games at 480p, and if Nintendo are going to support 480p why not 720p? It is 2006 after all.

Your comment about HDTV is a crack up. So you like playing interlaced games? How very old school of you. Keep drinking that Kool Aid.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think Its a good idea if Nintendo do support HDTV...y not, all the TVs are HD ready. The graphics on this gen consoles are wonderful but hey if they can up them more then bring it on....The games got to be fun as well.

Bless

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Mediocre 1999 movie starring Matthew McConaughey...

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

LOL :) Oh and I stand by original comment no one has heard of it. ;)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

18. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Please, let's not make this another debate about Nintendo's HD choices.

So they increased their price range after the new kits arrived? In your last line, you say "the upcoming dev kits", are you implying that there are new dev kits which are going to increase the estimate for the Rev cost even more (200-250?), or are the "upcoming dev kits" you refer to the ones this article is talking about?

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think there is one more to come.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

haha, at a pinch over £1000 a few of my course mates have said that we might get together after we finish university and bang out some games. we were having words about it a few hours ago.

This is a thing though... With cheap dev kits and a cheap medium, what are publishers going to do? Publishers fee's will be pretty hefty. I do think there will be a game download service. Or games that you buy online and burn to your own DVD/SD card.
    There will be a trick for small developers to get their games out avoiding publishers.
    Perhaps the kits could burn to DVD/CD too, making a huge public domain scene?

Again I'll bring back a possibility... An Amiga-like public domain scene would be an outstanding thing. Thats the sort of thing, as a lover of freeware/lesser-known-ware that would keep me to one system forever.

But back to the power... I don't care about any resolution right now. I've experienced progressive digital TV at a lower resolution than my games consoles. 480p is going to look outstanding, in my humble opinion. Sitting back on my 20" monitor I won't be able to tell the difference between 720 or 480p. it's that P that matters to me right now!

If we're having a go at resolutions again, why on bloody earth does the 360 NOT have 1080p? Why does it not output a digital signal (DVI/HDMI etc)? If certain folk want to have a go at Nintendo not supporting them then why not have a go at Xbox for maxing out at 1080i. isn't I old school? if thats the case then why aren't the whole %age of people with 1080p screens saying "only the PS3 will fulfil my desires"?
    I'm not fussed either way :) I'm just saying.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

An excellent point. I couldn't agree more.

I'm in the camp that will be content with 480p. I'd like 1080i, as my current TV supports it (but not 720p), but I really doubt we're going to see it on this generation. I'm more willing to believe that the following generation, we will see 720p/1080i/p from Nintendo.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long as they still support 4:3 without black bars and for the love of god 50hz on every damn PAL game this time i'm happy .. yes Metroid Prime 2 and Geist developers i'm looking at you... and now they are starting the lazy porting on other consoles too (*cough* Dead or Alive 4 *cough*)

2 times the gamecube is enough power for me

that aside i find it quite funny not having met a single console gamer caring about HDTV since most are quite young and unable to afford one: could it be that the US gaming demographic is that much older ?

sure a few did continue playing video games after they turned 18-20 (including me) but except a few PC gamers most people turned into solitaire players

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your taking the piss yeah? You seriously need to update? I can not remember the last time I saw a 4:3 TV in a store.

Also the jump to HDTV means 50/60hz hassle is out of the equation as 480p/720p/1080i/1080p are the same resolutions regardless of where you are...

Why do you think the handhelds dont have that problem? Because they're screen resolution and refresh rate is FIXED.

Adopting a fixed resolution as standard is progress as it finally sorts out the NTSC/PAL 50/60HZ pain in the arse by taking it out of the equation, and games run at the same speed & resolution regardless of where you are.

Technology is a about progression and evolution.

Lazy PAL/NTSC ports would NEVER EVER EVER happen if like Microsoft & Sony - Nintendo decided that at a minimum 480p/720p are going to be standard output.

The people who suffered with Dead Or Alive 4 are those with old 14" tube TV's.. I'm sorry you have a hell of a powerful console and your plugging it into somthing that should be thrown in a scrap heap..

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

...I've seen loads of 4:3 TV's :) even in House of Frasier.

They're still around but it won't be long till they're extinct in all shops, even the Co-Op ;)

25. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

What people should keep in mind is that this group is biased. Think about it, people who care enough about technology that they sign up for a message board and read it / post on it, at least somewhat regularly. Same thing with our friends, as much as everyone says they and their friends are not all the same, people generally hang out with others who think roughly the same way (and before you say you're one of the exceptions, think about how identical twins say that there's lots of differences between them, but they are still IDENTICAL TWINS). That means your friends, even if they aren't the type to come and post on a message board, still probably have the same mindset as you. Which is why "everyone" or "most people" think that HDTV or whatnot is around everywhere and they see nothing else, other stuff belongs in a scrap heap, etc etc.

I would love to see REAL statistics on what are the ratios of TV's in people's homes (not just recently purchased).

EDIT: Yes, I know I said let's not make it an HDTV discusssion, and then almsot immediately participated in said discussion. If that's all it's going to be, I guess I might as well go along with it.