Reward For Fixing My Problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Bob Dobbs, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

Sorry to re-post, but this is getting crazy and I am starting to get close to mission critical time.

$5 PayPal (or US Mail) REWARD if you come up with the answer that works. $10 if it is really obscure.

10.2 Installer keeps quitting! Help plz.

Ok trying to install OSX 10.2 on a G4 400 AGP down the hall. Have done the firmware update. Its got 2 internal drives. But I unplugged the media drive as per suggestion in other post.
    The current factory installed drive had been running 9.2.2 for months with no probs, but now has Software Restore to 9.0.2 (or 4).

soooo.....

i follow all on screen instrucions on the install disc (and i know this disc works because i used it to install on a G3 which has been up & running for 17 days), everything seems to be going fine... then anout 2-5 minutes into the install the computer goes to blue screen for a few seconds, then to black screen and it says - not exact text:

"Installer quit for unknown reasons (exit code 0)
    Please restart your computer"

3 times in a row. after the 2nd time I did disc ultil from the CD reformat the disc - but got the same error on the 3rd time.

After a few failed attempts i removed all pci cards (miro dc30, and a second ati card) so now the only card is a non factory installed ATI RAEDON 9000 that has been working on os9.2.2 for months.

after removing all these cards & disconnecting the other hard drive --- still no go. sometimes even crashes even before the install starts - at the software agreement.

PLEASE HELP ME.

2. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Out of curiosity

Out of curiosity, have you tried swapping out the RAM for known good RAM?

-shadow

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

May be ins the installer.

I just installed yesterday Jaguar on my Powerbook G3 400, 256MB Ram and 9GB hard drive.

I didn't even check the firmware, I have 4 partitions:
    OSX
    Clasic
    Soft (ware)
    Storage

The instalation disc that I used was a copy from a copy, just disc images.

I did everything in the most brutal way to give it some name and I'm typing with the computer right now.

In your case I would do a high lever format (all ceroes), divide the disc in to partitions, create a 3GB partition for OSX and install it there. If you have problems may be is the instalation disc.

Other than that, I just do not know.

The other peripherals shouln't been an issue.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Along with shadow95, I recommend making sure your computer's memory is 100% good. Even if it means going out and purchasing a new chip. Pull out all existing memory, install the one chip and give it a go.

Don't bother with multiple partitions, it's NOT needed. Just for S&G's try a new hard drive as well... to make sure that there isn't a problem there. Have you reset the PMU anytime during these attempts?? If not, do so. Unplug the power cord from the back of the computer, open the case, locate the PMU reset (might be labeled CUDA) and hold it for about 15 seconds. It should be located close to the motherboard battery. It is important that you unplug the computer FIRST.

Also, when you boot the computer up, hold down the apple+option+o+f keys (the same time/way as if you were zapping the pram). It may prompt you to let go of the keys, do so. You will have a grey screen with black type and a prompt. At that time, type in the following (sans quote marks) "reset-all" hit the return/enter key and let the computer start up again (it will automatically reboot).

I would install OS 9.2.2 before attempting to install OS X at all. Do the full install of OS 9, update it to 9.2.2 and then install OS X.

Post if you have additional problems, or email me for more ideas.
    A

5. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Instead of buying and pulling crap in and out, I would just completely wipe out my drive. Reinstall 9.2.2 then just try 10.2....make sure USB printers, scanners are off....I would even try to install it without my keyboard (use it till you need to, then unplug it) Real basic, I know, but worth a shot before buying new hardware....

6. Mblazened macrumors regular

Hmm

Well, if you...

1. Make sure your installer discs are authentic and not for other macintoshes
    2. Unplug unnescessary devices like printers and peripherals
    3. Re-initialize the hard drive prior to installing (use os X disk utility)

...and it STILL doesn't work, then you have some bad hardware and need to get your computer fixed maybe!

With a clean install and fixed firmware, your installation will work so long as your computer is physically healthy.

Try messing around with the jumpers on the hard drives, or try installing on a different one.

-mblazened

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Hmm

You started off so well, but ended so poorly :rolleyes:

If the drive jumpers are set to either cable select, or Master/Slave (for more then one drive) then DON'T F*CK WITH THEM!

Since he already had just one drive attached, and it STILL didn't install properly or function properly, I'm leaning towards a memory or motherboard related problem. Hell, it could even be the video card that's the problem.

8. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

9. Bob Dobbs thread starter macrumors regular

been a busy day... i'll be updating the current drive to 9.2.2 tonight and try that.

if that fails i'll try the reset button and such as per AlphaTech

dont see how ram can be an issue as this mac has been in use for years, but if all else fails i'll pull the ram out of the machine i'm on now and try it over there

the install disc's cant be the prob as i've used them on another mac (G3) that has been up and runnign 10.2 for almost 3 weeks

thanks for all the replys

i'll keep you all posted

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Memory CAN fail even after functioning properly for a long time. I had a chip go bad in my G4 tower (when I still had it). It was easy to get a replacement chip from the vendor I purchased it from. Once I installed the chip, everything was great again, and I was back up to 1.5GB of RAM :eek:

There was a system where I used to work that had constant crashes (every few hours after being on for a while). I replaced the memory that was installed with fresh memory and the problem disappeared.

Flunky memory can do funky things...

Also, if you have more then one memory chip, make sure they are the exact same spec. That could be a major factor. Some older memory wouldn't work after a firmware update (a while back) when Apple tighted up their memory requirements. If your system came with Apple labeled memory, leave JUST that in and try the install. Third party memory could be the cause of the issue.

A

11. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

G4 400 AGP, huh... does it have a DVD or CD-ROM drive? If DVD, try swapping it for a CD drive. If that doesn't work (crazy as this sounds) pull all RAM but 1 DIMM. If it works then, you've got a busted mobo (in a way I've seen on more than one G4 400 AGP, I think it may have been a manufacture defect.). If the RAM and mobo are good, and it's not the optical drive, put the destination drive in a FW enclosure and install from there. If all else fails (and you might want to check this before the rest, by running the Hardware diagnostic CD that should have come with the computer), it's a bad processor. Get a new one.

EDIT: It also might be helpful to us if you could get us the exact wording of the error.

EDIT2: One other thing to try: make a disc image of the CD on the G3, and install it from the disc image (they are networked, right?). Also, if it is a bad processor, physically move the G3 to the location of the G4 and use FW TDM to instal it. Since the FireWire interface is independent of EVERYTHING (even the ATA controller on the target machine), you should be able to bypass everything that's giving you a problem, unless it's the HD or the CD.

One last thing to try is to move the G4 somewhere else; the power may be dirty (ie not the ideal 60Hz or even in the 58-62Hz range), and it may be affecting something.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

13. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I actually had something similar happen to me. Are you doing a custom install or a normal install. I have a feeling that I was hitting some bug in the installer. It was over a year ago, so I am kind of fuzzy.

I might have had something to do with the way I was partitioning the drive. I think it ended up working when I just went with a single partition, instead of a user space partition and a system partition.

14. Bob Dobbs thread starter macrumors regular

update

ok here's where i'm at...

zeroed the drive last night (man that takes a long time) installed os9, update to 9.1, then 9.2.1, then 9.2.2 - whew

then install osx 10.2 - no good, same crash

did the button for 15 seconds, typed "reset-all" (without the quotes), tried osx 10.2 install - got a new 4 language (english, french, ?, japanese?)
    it said "You need to restart your computer. Hold Down teh Power button for several seconds or press the restart button" then below that it said: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

(by the way the 'normal' error message is exactly as follows: "The installer has quit due to an unexpected error. (exit code0) Please restart your computer)

soooo... then i started pulling ram there are 4 dimms so far i am at two tested 2 not tested - had to go to bed....

will try the other two (and other ideas) tonight

thanks

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Do a custom install of OS X. Don't install any of the languages that you will not be using (go with English only). Also, if you have a printer, only install the driver set for that brand printer. If you have an Epson printer, don't install the HP drivers (no point in installing unnecessary stuff).

16. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

try this.

Boot the "broken" computer into target disk mode by holding down the "T" key while booting up. You should see a flashing firewire icon on the screen and nothing else.

Then use another computer via a firewire cable to install the software on the target disked computer FROM the other computer. Boot as if you were going to install on the "working" computer, but MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE FIREWIRE DRIVE OF THE OTHER COMPUTER when you set the drive to install the software onto.

If this works, you have narrowed down that the drive isn't bad, its something else. (probably the video card being too new for the installer) If this doesn't work, then it's probably the disks.

This way can be a pain in the ass, but if you have laptop, then it makes things easier.

-Pete

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

How is the disk formated? HFS or UFS? Also, is this a seed copy of 10.2?

19. Bob Dobbs thread starter macrumors regular

4/4/03 update

ok... finished testing all the ram - not the problem... was gonna try all the target disc mode stuff, but only had the 4 to 6 pin cable...soooooo well... i give up. its just not worth my time.

calling the tech company to fix it. i'm printing this out thread out to give to them, so the reward still stands if they find a prob listed here.

maybe i'll save some $ and just keep it at 9.2.2 which works like a charm

thanks for all your help -

and to answer a few other peoples posts:
    no its not a seed copy of 10.2

cd is clean (twice)

disc is Mac OS Extended

i tried to do custom - english only

20. sprocklingcat macrumors member

garaunteed ram problem

encountered the same problem on an emac

pull all your sticks and replace

21. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    unplug any peripherals you may have, like a wacom tablet, or any other usb device. also, do you have a scsi card installed? if so, take it out.....

22. fluke macrumors member

ide cable

i have the same machine as you.

did you use the extra connector on the exsisting short ide hard drive ribbon cable for the second hard drive?

when i added a second hard drive i put in a new ide ribbon cable so i could put the hard drives next to each other. i kept getting errors with that. i had to stack the hard drives and use the original short ide ribbon cable. i noticed the original ribbon cable had some wires that arn't connected, it must be a special configuration. the hard drive chassis also was designed to except a stacked setup.

if this is not the case, i would say the install cd is damaged. it can't be the ram if you installed classic ok. TDM would be an ideal way of narrowing the problem.

23. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Re: 4/4/03 update

Hope it gets fixed. Tell us how it goes!

24. Bob Dobbs thread starter macrumors regular

well, just got off the phone with the tech guy.... he told me its broken! LOL ummm, yea thats why you have it! he tried much of the stuff i did.

ok he's not totally useless, he thinks it may be a faulty power supply to the dvd/cd player - ie - its not getting full power, dont know why this would only affect os 10...

i'll keep you posted

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Is that tech Apple certified or no? If no, then get the system away from his dumb a$$!

Apple has many proceedures to follow for trouble-shooting the system. Following those, he SHOULD be able to narrow down the problem to the defective item.