Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaywardSon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I am a college student who unwittingly offered to help out my professor edit his conference and then was wrangled into editing gobs of footage into what turned into around 6 hours of finished product (3 panels each two hours long). :(

Now he has requested five copies of the conference, which turns into 15 DVDs.

---->My question is, do I need to watch every DVD copy before I give it to him to make sure there is no discrepancies or bugs in the final project?

Thanks!

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. Not unless you really want an A. Just test them in a standalone DVD player and call it good.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. Not unless you really want an A. Just test them in a standalone DVD player and call it good.

Ha! What if one is jumpy or buggered in some way though! Wouldn't be very good at all.............

I think I would probably check them....

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
aaah the dreaded Quality Assurance task :p
if there was a checksum app for DVD's Id love that. the DVD's I create avg 20min and longest was about 1.5 hours. watching that is bearable.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
To be fair, if your professor was looking for immaculate quality, he would be paying someone to do what you're doing.

I would make sure that each DVD starts at least. And would be certain to keep a backup of the project in case you hear back from the professor that one of them didn't work.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Just do a random check. Load each dvd and then skip through them to make sure they are playing. Chances are, if the master plays fine - then so will the rest. You could run a checksum but that doesn't mean the media isn't defective. Between running a verification and visually random checking, you should be okay.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
When I make a bunch I watch the first one in it's entirety. If it is fine, I just use the same build and burn multiple copies. Never had an issue that way (or at least never heard anything about a problem). Back in the day, sure many a coasters were made but it's pretty fool proof nowadays. My main concern is buttons working and linking to the correct media and the proper end jumps are put it.

Now Print to Tape for broadcast is a whole different story. I get an intern to watch those and transcribe them for me. ;)

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
My technique has been to watch the first burn while the others are burning, and then watch the last burn. If something is jacked on the first burn, I can save some bad burns from happening. Then, if the last burn is good, I can be reasonably assured the discs in between are good.

WaywardSon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for all of the help!:) I finally got all of those DVD's in and he seems very happy with them. :D

De Rocca

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I allways burn at a lower speed (not the "highest possible"), this gives better quality assurance. Some DVD's are just not made to be burned at higher speeds... At lower speed the DVD recorder has more time to burn the holes, ending up in a more thrustworthy result...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.