Rewritable DVD issues!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crasstopher, Sep 18, 2006.

1. crasstopher macrumors newbie

Hi. I was wondering if someone can lead me towards a solution to a very serious problem that I have experienced on several occassions. A co-worker adds files to a rewritable DVD and when I go to access the new files I can only view the initial session and no subsequent data. :confused: The same thing has happened to me with rewritable CDs in the past. This is a major frustration. :mad: I know the new data is there as I can view it in Windows Explorer but when I stick the DVD in my Mac only the first writing session is accessible. Is there a more robust file exploration tool then the finder, a 3rd party app, or some settings that I do not have set correctly? I have a PowerBook G4 with MacOS 10.3.9. Please someone help. Thanks a lot

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. crasstopher thread starter macrumors newbie

Folders

Each time a PC-User adds another folder containing media. I can only see the the original folder from the first burning session. Then another folder with pictures and mp3s is burned each week but when I load the disc I still can only view the first folder from the first session. On Windows XP I can see the first folder and all subsequent ones. I've had this issue before. I'm sure others have had as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Because now I load the DVD onto a Windows machine and burn a seperate CD for my cranky mac. A total waste. THer thing is that I do not always have access to a pc

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wonder if the subsequent folders are hidden. Maybe try using this AppleScript to view hidden files.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's a common problem with multisession discs. I'd take a look at the settings in the recording software and see whether there are any compatibility options that can be turned on.

6. crasstopher thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad:

Ok, so I've done some research and found that is a serious problem!!! Apple, or MacOS does not support multisession DVDs at all!!! Multisession DVDs can be problematic but Wintel Users with Nero have been able to work with them for a while, and they are very useful. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed in my opinion. I will search for some 3rd party software that enables this capability. Please let me know if anyone knows of such an app.