Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmed_serwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
I am having problems creating data CDs. After burning files onto a CD. I cannot go back to that CD and burn new files onto them. It gives me an error saying the "title of cd" cannot be written. I am using standard CD-Rs.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this a setting i can change?

Thanks in advance,
Serwar

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
By default I think the Finder closes data CDs that it burns and I think you have to use the Disk Utility (or Toast) to burn CDs that remain open in the end, so to speak.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
ahmed_serwar said:
I am having problems creating data CDs. After burning files onto a CD. I cannot go back to that CD and burn new files onto them. It gives me an error saying the "title of cd" cannot be written. I am using standard CD-Rs.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this a setting i can change?

Thanks in advance,
Serwar

CD-Rs can only be recording to once. However, if you don't close the session/track, you can add more files to it. But if you go all the way and close the session/track, you can't edit, delete, or add files to a CD-R. This can only be done on a CD-RW. With CD-RWs you can write/record data to them, then if you desire, you can erase the data off the CD-RW and write date to it again.

CD-R= CD - Recordable

CD-RW= CD - ReWritable

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Depends on what software you use to burn. The Finder in OS X will not (as far as I know) burn multisession CDs. In Toast, when you hit the burn button, click the advanced tab in your burning options and make sure that "Close Disc" is unchecked. Other programs may work differently. Your mileage may vary.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
You can use Disk Utility to burn multisession CD-Rs without having Roxio Toast. The method for doing this is not quite as slick as using Toast, but it works. First, use Disk Utility to create a disk image of the folder you want to burn. Next, click the burn icon in the Disk Utility toolbar, then select the image you want to burn, and click burn again. A burn disk dialog box will pop up. Click the little blue triangle on the right side of the box to get more options. Click the "Leave disc appendable" option. Then, click burn to burn the disk. When you're ready to burn more stuff to the disk, repeat the procedure. You'll notice that on the last step, the "burn" button will have changed to "append" which indicates that you are about to add more data to a disk that already contains previously recorded data. When you insert a disk burned using this method, you'll see one disc icon for each session on the disk appear on your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.