Rhapsody on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bob Knob, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Bob Knob macrumors 6502

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Sounds great - as long as you have enough money to pay Rhapsody to keep your music until the end of time.
    Let's look at some costs - (I believe it's US$14.95 a month, right?)
    One year of Rhapsody - US$179.40
    Two years of Rhapsody - US$358.80
    Five years of Rhapsody - US$897
    Ten years of Rhapsody - US$1,794
    Thirty years of Rhapsody - US$5,382
    Fifty years of Rhapsody - US$8,970

So if you want to keep your music for more than a couple years, you're going to have to pay big.
    Lessee... how much do you have to pay to keep your iTunes music? Oh, yeah, $0.

:p :D

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Out of all of the online music providers, iTMS is the best. Myself, I prefer having the actual CD, but that's just my opinion. I like having the album art, lyrics, etc. Plus, I just love collecting CD's.

4. voiceofreason macrumors newbie

No doubt music rental is expensive, but it does have its place. If you listen to a lot of music and want to find new artists this can be a better deal than iTMS. It is more flexible. If you are a casual listener or you know what you want, iTMS can't be beat.

This is no different than cable/satellite TV for which most of us shell out $40-80/month. You don't get to keep any of those shows for eternity (at least not yet in an easy to do mass market fashion like iTMS) without an additional fee.

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

lol... indeed they let me know 'loud and clear' as well. I didn't even know Real had my e-mail, as they hadn't sent me anything in ages.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I got spammed by them this morning too.. Personally I hate the rent model. When I purchase music, I want to buy it and it's mine. Renting to own is lame.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Those prices also do not reflect the cost of burning the songs nor transferring them to a potrable player, which I believe is about a buck per song, doing either.

So, yeah, it's twice as expensive, at the very least, than ITMS.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh.. Doesn't work with the new FF, and it's going to confuse some n00bs with the whole "16-bit sound card" requirement.

9. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I use rhapsody, as it's a good way to test out free music. The version they offer for mac is not nearly as feature rich as the one for PC - it's a web interface, and you can't download songs.

Tunebite (4x digital dubber) makes the subscription to rhapsody worth it.

On a different note, I wonder how many people in this forum would be making statements like "This is what apple needed to do all along!" if iTMS ever goes to a subscription model.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, whatever number that is, it'll be n-1 because I think it's a terrible idea, and I'd be ticked if Apple switched to the rent-to-own model.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I don't know why they say it won't work with 1.5, because it does work :confused:

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe one of the bells and/or whistles?