Rhapsody Still In Development?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Aug 17, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I was under the impression that Rhapsody was abandoned or became OS X and was left behind long ago but I just came across this screenshot at a NeXT site that I read and noticed that this version of Quicktime Player for Rhapsody has a copyright date of 2003 Apple Computer. Any ideas of what this might be? Are people out there still using the developer release of Rhapsody, and why? From what I understand it's the same as OS X without Aqua. Is Apple actually still creating software for it or am I totally missing something here? I'm not trying to stir anything up or suggest this is anything important, just curious and confused.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats pretty cool, i would be curious to know too.

iJon

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

old news man, that screens so old. why it says 2003 is beyond me. Maybe it was edited?

4. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah i've been looking at that NeXT site for a while so i'm sure i've seen that shot before. just never noticed the date.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's be cool for a kind of blast from the past...just to poke around and see how different OS X turned out to be and what it could have been if it weren't for certain key decisions that were made. That's if it is actually still around, of course.

6. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Maybe they're just doing it for fun? Can you post a link to the site?

7. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

those pics look like a really primitive OS X, with the appearance of OS 9. But Why would quicktime have a ©2003 thing. And chess looks exactly like OS X. Maybe they can port stuff from OS X to rhapsody.

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

[​IMG]

I don't know much about Rhapsody, but OS X server?

10. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Just a note about that image: the icon for OmniWeb is exactly the same as OmniWeb 4.5's icon! I highly doubt that the icon would be the same, since their "Omni" logo has changed to a more aquafied appearance. I'd bet that that image is doctored.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Did anyone else notice that all the hardware in this pic is PC legacy stuff? Old Intel Pro ethernet, old parallel ports, old PS/2 style mouse, Matrox display driver, etc...

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You will not find the rainbow-colored Apple logo on anything official past i think 2000... And that Quicktime logo is old as well, from version 3 i think (anyone here remember the wait for QT3 anyway:)). at very least the quicktime, and probably the other, have been doctored.

pnw

13. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah that's what i was thinking too. i bet there's some nut job running it on a machine somewhere. heck, i'm running a NeXT Cube at home now;)

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Is it just me, or is everyone glad OS X didn't turn out to look like that...that is one odd looking GUI/OS X mockup.

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

This pic made me laugh out loud, the spinning beachball of death has reared it's ugly head, as well as the 'drain':confused: :confused:.

EDIT: Kinda surprising that they had most of the basic OS X apps done in 1997, Grab, Preview, Preferences, Print Manager, and could webster.app be **gasp** early safari?

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I remember skimming some back issues of Macworld with reviews of the OSX Public Beta (10.1 was out when I was reading these). They looked VERY foreign to me.

18. mstecker macrumors 6502

I'm running a NeXT Cube at home too (Turbo Dimension cube to boot) And it runs Omniweb 4 pretty well.

Yes, Rhapsody is still in development. It's just now called OS X.

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Does this mean it took Apple 6 years of developement for the spinning beach ball of death? That's kind of creepy!

20. mstecker macrumors 6502

You need to remember that OSX continues the code of the old NeXT operating system, not the old Apple operating system.

As such, you can trace the origin of the spinning beach ball to the release of NeXTStep 3.0.

I remember the first time I saw it when I was installing it for a customer. A friend and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

21. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah it's amazing. if you ever get the chance you should take NeXT OS for a test drive. you'll be blown away by how similar it is to OS X, and it's soooo old. they really had something special going. but like most of Apple/Steve's great accomplishments, it may have been just a little too ahead of it's time.

22. mstecker macrumors 6502

Nope. Webster.app was a dictionary application. You could look up any word in any application by hitting command-equals. But the rest of the stuff dates back to 1988 or so, when NeXTSTEP first came out

23. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

A bit like the integration apple is trying to get within cocoa apps? Services etc etc.?

24. mstecker macrumors 6502

LOL. I hate to keep beating the same point, but it's not a bit like it, it's exactly like it, because it's more or less the same code.

25. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

no its not. This one has had the OS9 programmers look at it. I bet they put something nasty in the comments too.