RIAA Claims Ripping a CD to Your iPod is Not "Fair Use"

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 16, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: RIAA Claims Ripping a CD to Your iPod is Not "Fair Use"
    Description:: The RIAA is once again trying to assert that ripping a CD and space-shifting it to your iPod is not a noninfringing use (fair use) of the music you have bought, according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I think this goes to show the RIAA has a full infection of rectal-cranial inversion.

3. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

4. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

These guys are idiots....soon they will say that we have to listen to the songs in order as its on the album.

Bless

5. Guest

iGary

Looks like we're all really concerned with what the RIAA has to say these days then.

Right. :rolleyes:

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

7. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

It's very simple, purchasing the music and ripping it via iTunes to your iPod is illegal, so unless you feel like buying with your credit card from iTunes there is no legal way to get music onto your iPod.

Ok fine RIAA, I'll continue downloading, thanks.

8. macrumors 68020

9. macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Ah, my favourite Australian...
    "Tell 'im he's dreamin' mate."

10. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

they can go @#$% themselves.

there's no nicer way for me to put it. [​IMG]

there's only so far i'm willing to be pushed. as of now, i buy all my music legally, be that on iTunes or on CD. if it becomes illegal to rip a cd to my iPod, i WILL do it anyway, if they make cd's un-rippable, i WILL download my music illegally.

but i doubt they will get very far with this...

11. macrumors 65816

faintember

WTF???!?!?!

So is playing the CD in my oldskool Diskman player a violation of "fair use"?

Are the RIAA trying to make people stop buying music period?

Please, wake up RIAA, you lost.

12. macrumors regular

They probably think that the MPAA gets protection on DVDs, so why shouldnt they get protection on CDs.

And they have a point.

Why should they be treated differently? Of course, MY reaction is "there should be parity... NEITHER should have copy protection." The RIAA is going for parity in the other (evil) direction.

13. macrumors 68000

Spock

Whats going to happen when we all go digital? With apps like Garageband how long will it be before instead of bands paying studio time they purchase audio recording hardware and record and edit on the Mac themselves and upload to iTms? Screw the RiAA

14. macrumors 65816

faintember

While many bands do record themselves, or record in "home" studios and not the typical studio environment, the skill of a good studio engineer/mixer wont be replaced by software. That said, i concur, screw the RIAA.

15. macrumors 6502a

jimN

So they'd like you guys to buy the cd and download the song from iTunes. In the week when Timewarner (i think) announced a significant increase in profits from digital music sales you'd think they'd learn to accept what they have rather than continuing to push for the impossible. Greed can be a very ugly thing.

16. macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Pretty amusing.

We can buy on iTunes and make CDs, but we can't rip a paid for CD, into iTunes. ok.

17. macrumors Core

so i guess what i'm doing right now is illegal?

18. Guest

iGary

Crime Whore™ :D

19. macrumors 68020

Heh, you naughty boy. I can count no less than six things that I'm doing right now that are illegal. ;)

20. macrumors regular

Insane.

Guess I'll just have to get a white eye patch to match my earbuds...Arrr
    :rolleyes:

21. macrumors newbie

As a manufacturer of CD's for Independent Record Labels I find all the talk of STEALING because you dont like the law despicable. People do OWN the music and need the income to support their families. Steal from your own plates not MINE!

Go look at the income statements of any record label (independent or major) and you tell me that these people are making a killing. They are hardley making ANY money for god sakes. Stop being such cheap whiners and buy music like we have been doing for 50 years.

22. macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Good, now I will rip every CD I own and then maybe download a few songs free, just to show them how much I care.

Here's the part I love:

Should the RIAA have its way on this issue, one would presumably have to buy a copy of a song for your car or home CD player, and another copy of the same song for any digital media devices you wished to play it on. This has been a dream scenario for the RIAA for some time, and one that this editor has often discussed when writing on the issue at The Mac Observer.

-------

Yea, like that's ever going to happen... I am going to buy a song 3 times so I can listen to it in my car, on my ipod, and in my home... Hahahaha
    How about I buy it ZERO times and load it on EVERY device I own... Greedy Pigs...

23. Guest

iGary

So you agree with the RIAA on this one? I shouldn't be able to buy a CD and listen to it on my iPod?

I need a music license for every device I own?

Get real, dude. Music isn't software. Never has been.

24. macrumors 6502

The RIAA can go F themselves. It really is that simple. Their days are numbered before artists go independent/internet-distrubuted en masse.

25. macrumors 68030

Does anyone even listen to the RIAA anymore? Is anyone even scared of them like they used to be back in the days of Napster? I for one am not. They're just trying to get attention. :rolleyes: