RIAA does it again...

Discussion in 'Community' started by NavyIntel007, Mar 29, 2003.

1. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

http://news.com.com/2100-1027-994565.html?tag=fd_top

CNet reports that the copy protected CD's they've been threatening about are soon to be released. They will ONLY have Windows Audio files and might not be able to play in Apple Computers. Grrr... I hate BIG BROTHER!!!

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

this is such crap!! for those of us who actually buy cds (me included) this is totally unfair. we can't even do what we want with our cds!!! thats ridiculous.

would this mean that the ipod will become completely useless??

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

don't record companies have enough money?!?!! Sure, they
    lose a lot to people who download and burn CD's, but enough
    money ends up in Britney's pocket, and Virgin's too. :rolleyes: :eek:

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

no kidding those execs just keep fatting up there wallet, and at the price of DECENT artists and the price of the consumer. argh!!!! it makes me so angry.

after all i am a musican

5. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Re: RIAA does it again...

I still maintain that I would buy cd's, if they were not almost 30 dollars after tax. noestly.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

I agree, I can buy a video game for the price of a CD. I am going to get alot more enjoyment from the game than the CD. I'll just listen to the radio....

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

Re: Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

i would enjoy the cd more than the game personally but they don't play the stuff i like on the radio :)

anyway where do you usually buy your cds? try more local area record stores, they can be a lot cheaper...the store i go to usually new cds come out at $10 and other cds are between that and 15 while imports are of course a lot more expensive

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

So the RIAA is already charging an arm and a leg for CDs because they are being pirated, and now "copy-proof CDs" are supposed to hit the market?

Then, once those are out, people will make haxies to get around those "copy proofs" so people can put them up on their networks. The RIAA will have to raise the price of CDs again, and a new "copy protection" will have to be invented. Then the cycle repeats itself.

By 2020 CDs will become as valuable as videogames (around $20 to $50), and people will result to more haxies and more P2P sharing.

In the meantime, you CAN still buy CDs for less than $10. Find a site (www.amazon.com for one) and buy a used CD. You are buying it for the music, not the scratches on the glass case, right?

My radio station, 92.3 K-Rock, has some quality stuff and some not so quality stuff. If you want to go back to the 70s and 80s and use analog recording to manually record what you hear off the radio, you'll be much harder to catch.

My father is registered to Columbia House, and you can get unopened, unused CDs there for an average of about $10 or less each, including tax and S&H. They don't always have what you are looking for.

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah the cycle will repeat itself

i do buy some used cds and its a great thing for most people. however if i find a group that isn't very well known i try and buy the cd therefore promoting that artist...where as if i just find there cd used its not like there selling an extra album. its the same with bmg and columbia house.

however if your buying old things or really popular things then buying used is the best bet.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That is what I was just wondering, too. So, does this mean that I may not be able to put a copy protected CD in iTunes? Is this what this means? Or am I misunderstanding something? :confused:

11. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

First, should this happen, the record companies will be shooting themselves in the foot, since the first person to crack the WMF format and release the contents on the internet will have created a superior product to the one the record companies sell.

Second, I think Apple will come out with a QT with a WMF codec if that's the only way to play these discs...

Third, These would not technically be CD's (they don't adhere to the CD format), so what happens to our CD players (the ones on our stereos)?

Fourth, at the expense of some quality, any CD can be copied--Hook a CD player up to the line in on your computer :p

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

Canadian dollars? Where do you shop?

I've learned to befriend the used CD store.

13. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

an average cd in the US at your local music store is about 23 dollars, add on a bit less than 2.30 for tax that is 25.30-round up and you got yourself 30 dollars. oh and btw, since when is Seattle in Canada :rolleyes:

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    that just sucks major ass.

how can they do that? they're punishing the innocent as well as the piraters. i like to buy cds, i like to have the original, but, i refuse to pay the prices they charge, i went into virgin megastore last night and the cd i wanted was $18.99!!!! disgusting, so i came home and downloaded it. i'll still buy it, but from amazon for $13 which is the maximum one should pay for a new cd i believe.

i often wonder if cds were around the $10 mark in all stores, would the pirating problem be as bad? i know i'd be buying a lot more cds if they were that price.

surely there must be something in the law against this???? with software, you're allowed to make a backup for personal use, if you can't download it onto your computer or iPod then doesn't that infringe our, the consumers, rights in any way?????

15. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I bought more CD's when I could download MP3's off of napster than I do now. I'm not going to take the risk of buying some CD that sucks royally.

Not only is it wrong that we can't make backups of our music but Microsoft is again pulling their anti-competative tacktics to take out Apple and Linux because you can't play these CD's on either OS's native software.

16. guitargeek macrumors regular

Where do you shop? They're about $13 where I am for most CD's, $18 for brand new ones. Still expensive, but not almost $30... I've bought double CD's for less than that.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

/me thinks its time to take over the RIAA site again... ;)

Copy protection is to bogus, unless you have X-Box like encryption (1024 bit :eek:) it is useless because people can break it in like 1-2 months.

wow, you stoped us from getting the CD Before they released it, good job. :eek:

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Dude, even with the RIAA's shenanigans, $25 for a single CD is much too overpriced. I can understand $10, $15, or even $18 for a single-CD album, but anything over $20 is overpriced and overrated.

I suggest using your local internet connection and a cheap, online store to have the CDs shipped to you for much less.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

Damn dude stop shopping at the mall. I pay less than that for special ordered or import CDs. BTW, a 20% increase is a pretty big "round up." ;)

Lethal

20. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: Re: Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

I've never paid that much for a normal, domestic CD - and I lived in one of the "high cost of living" centers for six years. When I was in college in the early 90's, I promised myself I would never pay over $15 for a regular CD and, with a couple exceptions, I've stuck to that. Of course, 80% of my CD's come from Britain (amazon.co.uk is a wonderful thing, sometimes) which changes the whole equation. STILL, CD's are too overpriced at $14 or whatever. Twice as much as records or cassettes were in the dark ages. Now they're about to introduce the "next big" format, and we'll have to buy our collections again - no doubt at $30 each this time.

As to loading these discs onto the Mac, wouldn't the rumored, legal Mac music download service make that irrelevant? From what I understand, that catalog would be fairly comprehensive.

21. daniel77 macrumors 6502

I went to my local megamart and to there cd section. its the same at like a sam goody etc

22. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RIAA does it again...

look i didnt call a 51,000 dollar car a 100,000 car ok? :D

23. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

Well, hoenstly i dont see how they could make the CD only play on a windoze machine. If it was only a WMF format CD, then it wouldnt play on your CD player...and if it plays in your CD player then any player that will read/play wav files should still be able to read it...seems bizzare to me.

Not that it matters, if they wanna pull this, then i will just stop buying CDs all together. I dont think they will ever get P2P services wiped out, so if they are gonna make CDs windoze compatible only, then i will jsut use P2P to get all their music and never buy CDs.