RIAA Offers aministy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Backtothemac, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Well, they are offering Aministy for people who admint that they have done the wrong thing.

Who is going to do this?

Go to the bottom of the page for the amnisty link.

Also, cnn.com and fox news.com have everything there.
  2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    In other news the Riaa suffered anther DDoS attack today bringing their site to a massive slow down and/or knocking it off the web.

BTW, isn't it 'Amnesty' ?

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Yea, sorry for the misspelling. I am wondering who will sign that agreement.
  4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    yeah, I saw this earlier; I think someone posted a thread about it...You might see more activity/discussion there.
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    nice try. ok, actually it's not. it's pretty pathetic. i can think of a few interesting things to do with this, but not sign it. from their privacy policy:

Knowing how the RIAA justifies the use of at very least surrepiticious, and in many cases blatantly illegal, i would imagine that the above means that you're "consenting" to the RIAA searching your property whenever they want, to make sure you haven't done anything naughty... you're a known offender now, on the RIAA's parole... you violate, they sue. tight little leash. funny thing is, you don't have to get in the leash. i advise everyone to not sign this intentionally intimidating contract.

i can't wait for these lawsuits to be reversed. i think 90% of them are based on illegally obtained information, and violate the 4th amendment pretty heavily.

6. jadariv macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2002
    As much as I choose to debate file sharing with people on these forums (often being against music downloading) the RIAA is really making some big mistakes in my book. The money from the lawsuits will not even go to the artists, just back into the legal fund.

Makes me want to download limewire and start sharing.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I don't even think the RIAA is making money off these lawsuits... seems to me that most people they sue will be able to pay so little that it won't even offset court fees. And I agree with you, all of their bull**** makes me want to share lots of copyrighted material just to spite them.

I also agree with paul; most of these searches are not legal. Whether or not the courts will do the right thing or capitulate to the RIAA is another story though...
  8. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm confident that almost everyone will settle without going to court. The few who don't will determine the future of P2P.
  9. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I'm not as concerned about the RIAA, what I worry about is the precident this is setting in the courts. If the courts side with the RIAA on the issua, future court cases will continue to disregard the freedom of privacy. Today you might wind up with a fine for sharing music, but tomorrow you might wind up in jail for having a file that some hacker backdoored onto your machine that incriminates you for murder.

There needs to be rights to privacy on the contents of your hard drive. I understand if it's a work machine, but just like any other part of your home, you need to be secure from illegal search and seizure.
  10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA

they're trying to plea bargain...heh...
  11. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    couldn't say it better myself.

I think nothing more really needs to be said in this thread but that.

PLUS, if one computer is not in the US then they cant do anything about it. Laws about the internet have to take global perspectives, not american.

I was having this discussion at work yesterday, and it seems that the riaa is making everyone want to share who didn't before.

it's great that Universal is lowering it's prices, but its too little too late. they should have done it 5 years ago, then napster wouldnt have been so big, and the habit would not be ingrained in people.

I have always preferred to buy my music if I wasn't broke, but it doesnt seem right to give the companies money so that they can sue people. If anything P2P helps artists by getting more people listening and hopefully going to their shows...which is the only way they really make money. THey get almost nothing from album sales.
  12. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003