Ribbon Mic and ensuring no phantom power

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Paul Ashton, Jun 4, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I have just bought a Vintage Symphony Reslosound Ribbon Microphone and have not yet plugged it in. I know that I should definitely make sure that phantom power is off or it will blow or at best be damaged. As I normally use condenser mics I normally have phantom on and I worried about accidents happening.

If I use the Ribbon mic with a 1/4" jack connection into an UNbalanced jack socket, am I guaranteeing that I won't be getting phantom power, or even the shorts that cause bursts of power that can also damage to the mic.
    This part is still theoretical as I do not yet have a suitable connector to fit at the microphone end. Looks like opposite way round to a normal XLR but I am still researching.

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

imho, you shouldn't be plugging/unplugging any mic, including condensers, when phantom is on.

regarding ribbons, seeing phantom doesn't guarantee damage to the mic, it depends on how the power is applied. not that i would do it, but if you plugged in the ribbon, turned on phantom, then turned off phantom, the mic probably wouldn't be damaged. but it might be if you plug/unplug the mic when phantom is on.

3. macrumors regular

You definitely shouldn't just leave phantom power on all the time. When you plug and unplug with phantom on, you'll get a transient bump. The default should be 'off', and apply it as needed.

Zim, I always thought that the danger to ribbon mikes was that they would slowly burn the ribbon out, not that the transient would damage the ribbon.

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

it's entirely possible; hadn't heard that one before.

i'm certainly not advocating applying phantom to ribbons in any situations (other than those few models that need it), i just wanted to dispel the notion that any application of phantom would shred the ribbon immediately.

5. macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Actually most ribbons made today, like the newer Royer 121s or something like that, are pretty resiliant and can stand phantom power no problem.

OP, i know you said it was a vintage mic, so yours is probably different. Good luck with it!

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not managed to source a cable - it needs a sort of inverse XLR but fatter pins. Any ideas apart from bare cables and match sticks?

7. macrumors regular