Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm looking to buy a rice cooker for the wife. She asked for one a while ago and I think this may not be a horrible Christmas gift so I'm looking on Amazon for one. The issue, is the price variation is pretty large.

I can spend around 80 dollars for an Oster or Black and Decker, 50 dollars for a Aroma or Cuisinart, and then there's some over the top models for 150.

I don't want to buy by price alone, so if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I have used a rice cooker since living in Taiwan in the 70's (when we ate a LOT of rice). I recently bought one of those fancy new pressure cookers for $99, and it has a rice setting. My rice cooker has been relegated to the spare room closet, and I'm able to do a lot more with the pressure cooker. I recommend evine.com.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
if you are just making plain white rice, pick the cheaper ones. The expensive ones just have more electronics in them, doesn't make white plain rice taste better or much faster.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
My wife is Japanese, she is pretty serious about her rice cooker. Not only does she have to have a Japanese rice cooker she only cooks Japanese rice.

We went to Mitsuwa supermarket in NJ for our cooker. It is a chain, there might be one in Boston.

I think current model rice cookers are technically pressure cookers, so Alliflowers might be on to something though.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
depends what kind of rice, if Japanese (or thai etc.), a good rice cooker will steam it just right. If regular rice then a regular budget should do. Since it is for the wife, I know which one she would expect.. :)

here is a link to a top 4 (not cheap mind you):
http://www.consumersearch.com/rice-cookers

Reactions: maflynn

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I got a top of the line Zojirushi rice cooker as a gift. While I don't think I could have justified spending $160 of my own money on the cooker, it makes unbelievable rice. Of course, it's probably overkill for your (and just about any) situation.

I will say, though, that I love the digital display and timer. I can put rice and water in it when I leave for work and program it to have the rice perfectly cooked and ready to go at 6:00 when I get home.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
We have the Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT. It makes 6 cups of rice. My wife and I have enjoyed this from when it was just the two of us and it still gives us what we need even now that we are a family of four. We got this one as a gift, and unlike adk, I would easily say I could justify spending the $120 it currently goes for on Amazon. We use this multiple times a week. We especially love using the timer function to throw some ingredients in during the morning and by dinnertime we have delicious and perfect rice. We use it for "plain" rice but also to make more complicated rice and barley breakfast dishes, as an example.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
My wife loves Tiger; my mom prefers Zojirushi. They're both awesome--the rice cookers and the ladies.:D I prefer a thick (absolute must for even heating) pot over a gas burner or campfire. My rice turns out better than the rice cooker. Years of being poor taught me how to cook the perfect batch of rice.:cool: But I'm not as versatile as the rice cookers, since I am only adept at cooking jasmine rice.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
My wife is Japanese, she is pretty serious about her rice cooker. Not only does she have to have a Japanese rice cooker she only cooks Japanese rice.

We went to Mitsuwa supermarket in NJ for our cooker. It is a chain, there might be one in Boston.

I think current model rice cookers are technically pressure cookers, so Alliflowers might be on to something though.

I got a top of the line Zojirushi rice cooker as a gift. While I don't think I could have justified spending $160 of my own money on the cooker, it makes unbelievable rice. Of course, it's probably overkill for your (and just about any) situation.

I will say, though, that I love the digital display and timer. I can put rice and water in it when I leave for work and program it to have the rice perfectly cooked and ready to go at 6:00 when I get home.

We have the Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT. It makes 6 cups of rice. My wife and I have enjoyed this from when it was just the two of us and it still gives us what we need even now that we are a family of four. We got this one as a gift, and unlike adk, I would easily say I could justify spending the $120 it currently goes for on Amazon. We use this multiple times a week. We especially love using the timer function to throw some ingredients in during the morning and by dinnertime we have delicious and perfect rice. We use it for "plain" rice but also to make more complicated rice and barley breakfast dishes, as an example.

My wife loves Tiger; my mom prefers Zojirushi. They're both awesome--the rice cookers and the ladies.:D I prefer a thick (absolute must for even heating) pot over a gas burner or campfire. My rice turns out better than the rice cooker. Years of being poor taught me how to cook the perfect batch of rice.:cool: But I'm not as versatile as the rice cookers, since I am only adept at cooking jasmine rice.

another japanese spouse here, also adamant it had to be a proper zojirushi. we paid $250 for ours four years ago and it still chugs along like a champ, wife says with the right japanese rice from the import shop its the real deal, exact same as back home to the T. i agree.

if youre gonna cheap out then just boil some uncle bens in a pot

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
another japanese spouse here, also adamant it had to be a proper zojirushi. we paid $250 for ours four years ago and it still chugs along like a champ, wife says with the right japanese rice from the import shop its the real deal, exact same as back home to the T. i agree.

if youre gonna cheap out then just boil some uncle bens in a pot

This. I'm not saying you have to spend a lot of money but if you're going to buy some 50 dollar rice cooker, you might as well just cook rice in a pot. If rice is something that you'll be cooking a lot or on a regular basis, I would spend around $150 for a good one. I always tell friends and family, buy nice or buy twice. I would look at Tiger or Zojirushi, they're the only rice cookers my family uses - some have had for 10+ years with no problem.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wiseman once say 'never by wife kitchen gadget for Christmas or birthday'
I'm looking to buy a rice cooker for the wife. She asked for one a while ago and I think this may not be a horrible Christmas gift so I'm looking on Amazon for one. The issue, is the price variation is pretty large.

I can spend around 80 dollars for an Oster or Black and Decker, 50 dollars for a Aroma or Cuisinart, and then there's some over the top models for 150.

I don't want to buy by price alone, so if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada

I got my wife this one (or a very similar model) about 10 years ago. I paid a whopping $15 Canadian (now at $23) and it's never done us wrong. Keep in mind that they cook more than just rice--they'll work with just about any grain.

Reactions: Tomorrow

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Wiseman once say 'never by wife kitchen gadget for Christmas or birthday'
She's been looking for one, and I've purchased kitchen gadgets before for her. She'll be ok with it :)

I got my wife this one (or a very similar model) about 10 years ago. I paid a whopping $15 Canadian (now at $23) and it's never done us wrong. Keep in mind that they cook more than just rice--they'll work with just about any grain.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I have another one on my short list from above so I need to compare the two

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm fully sold on Zojirushi. I have the 5.5 cup induction. It makes perfect rices, porridge, and keeps them fresh for a couple days.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I'll look into that. I have another one on my short list from above so I need to compare the two
As with most things, it comes down to what features one wants and how much one is willing to pay for them--the rice cooker I have has no features :D Seriously, it's small, it has no temperature control, no timer, and no power button (nor anything else that more expensive models may have). Still, though, it's perfect for us because my wife didn't want to pay for extras--she wanted something to cook enough rice for five or six...? people and do it simply.

Edit: Looking back at my posts it may not be clear that my wife and I have the one I linked to at Walmart. We just have a different "model year" and it seems to be only cosmetic differences between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I've found I can do a better job using a saucepan on the stove. If I try to cook a small amount of rice the rice cooker I have won't cook it completely and the rice always sticks to the cooker. While it comes out perfect every time on the stove and never sticks.

Reactions: danny_w

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
As with most things, it comes down to what features one wants and how much one is willing to pay for them--the rice cooker I have has no features :D Seriously, it's small, it has no temperature control, no timer, and no power button (nor anything else that more expensive models may have). Still, though, it's perfect for us because my wife didn't want to pay for extras--she wanted something to cook enough rice for five or six...? people and do it simply.

I fully agree with this, particularly if the user is only going to make rice occasionally. However in my experience the higher price models are better if you eat rice daily.

LifeIsLikeABoxOfRocks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Alameda

Costco has a real nice Zojirushi for $85. Best brand in rice cookers.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Costco has a real nice Zojirushi for $85. Best brand in rice cookers.

I have this one and while it's made in China, if your wife really likes it and thinks it's the best ever you can always buy a Japan made one and sell or take back the Costco one. It's a great rice cooker.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i have a basic Aroma one, which has been worked fine for many years (in fact i used it tonight to make steamed rice).
i only used it for basic stuff, and i would recommend it

in truth, i think that most will work fine, but if it is a gift, you might want to consider a bit of 'eye candy'

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm getting a new 3-cup rice cooker for my stepdad. Only one problem: the good ones from Panasonic, Tiger and Zojirushi leave a big hole in your wallet. :eek:

Think of it as an investment, rathe than an expenditure. If it is as good as many on this thread seem to suggest, for rice lovers, it will more than repay the initial cost over time.

My Zojirushi LAC-05 cost me $129. a few years back. It's great, as I can cook 1/2 cup of brown rice.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LAC05XA-Uncooked-Cooker-Warmer/dp/B000G30ESY

So, rice lovers, is Zojirushi really as good as everyone has written here?

Reactions: chefsdreams
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.