Rich Brooks responds: Revenge of the Mac user cultists (and ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 4, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bring on the flames! :D :eek:

3. macrumors 601

stoid

Well someone certainly missed the point! :D :p

I'm sorry Mr. Brooks, perhaps I'll follow the crowd like a goddamn lemming rather than seeing what is the best and most productive product. :rolleyes: Thank you! I've seen the light! ;)

edit: For the lazy types - original flamed article and MR discussion thread

4. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Well after I picked myself up off the floor from laughing so hard at his response, I would have to say that Rich Brooks is the one missing the point. He is also stubborn and ingnorant which unfortunatley means his attitude to Apple's operating system and the benefits of using it will never change. These people are best left to live under their rock. It is just unfortunate when they have the power of the press to express their misguided and uninformed views to the larger public, most of whom still believe that all computer operating systems are susceptable to viruses. Interesting to see that he got 700 email replies from Mac users around the world. I guess his article wasnt posted on enough webites...

I seem to remember the guy who trashed his brand new G5 Mac that his parents had given him for Christmas becasue he wanted a Dell since they are "faster" and showed pictures of the rebuild, got more than 700 emails.

I must admit it would be nice if Rich Brooks could actually post some correct and factual information in his replying article after being bombarded by 700 responses. It would seem that he still doesnt know squat about OSX (or care enough about it to do some research)

Pity
    Winmacguy

5. macrumors 603

quagmire

He still misses the point of our emails. I wonder who was the one who said that PCs can't read Mac cds. What BS. Now that he says that 97% marketshare was a no brainer for the school district that does sort of make sense so 97% of the kids don't have to learn how to work the Mac. But, still doesn't mean the schools don't have to. I bet you at least 90% of those kids who use windows has an iPod and traveled to an apple store and checked out Macs. My final gripe is the person said," Because Macs have better anti-virus software." A person who says that shouldn't be a Mac Head. Macs don't have viruses because the Mac itself is more secure than windows along with the low market share.

6. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

So I'm sure that there WERE a lot of flame emails sent to him and this just makes me mad. Mac users as a whole get a bad wrap when people go out and starting yelling at PC people that they need to switch and that their way of life is wrong. If you're going to send a letter/email out into the PC world, structure it politely. Don't use frivolous generalizations, opinions, or unsubstantiated facts. A common one seems to be "Macs are easier to use". I too believe this, but I wouldn't dare use it in a letter like this. There's no way to back it up with any studies so I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Sorry, just had to rant.

I'll be emailing him apologizing for those flame emails and try to clarify any points that he has missed.

7. macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but as much as Brooks missed the point again and quite frankly has no idea what he's writing about, he does have one point - all those people who wrote to him so aggressively simply fueled his ignorance rather than achieving anything positive - I mean, if half of the things he wrote about receiving are true, the authors of that kind of feedback need o be taking a long hard look at themselves before taking the cane to someone else. And look how convinces the great man is. :(

8. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

The point Rich Brooks is making doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you take into account that significantly more than 3% of the school population have Macs at home (I'd guess that several of those users have both a Mac and a PC). The marketshare "facts" being quoted are not only themselves false, but they are also misleading given the context.

9. macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

That is UTTERLY unbelieveable.

"Even so, I doubt that I would ever buy a Mac. I've seen what owning one can do to people. And I don't want any part of that."

How IGNORANT. I swear.

10. Moderator emeritus

Revenge is a dish best eaten cold...

After all, the platform of his choice is Windows.
    Good luck to him...

11. macrumors 6502

nsb3000

I also liked his defense about writing about Macs even though he has never used one :

"I don't own a Mac or use one; therefore, I shouldn't write about them. The fallacy of this argument is easy to see. Followed to its logical end, this would mean that only murderers could judge those accused of murder, etc."

Right. Because those are two analogues scenarios. Following his type of flawed logic, if 97% people deecied to jump off cliffs, than the rest of us should too...this does not help his aurgument.

The point is you shouldn't write about them because you don't know what you are talking about. I don't personally expect every journalist to use a Mac before writing about them, but they should at least *research* the topic before making broad claims about their benefits and drawbacks, which Mr. Brooks obviously did not do.

Also, there is this part:

"Even so, I doubt that I would ever buy a Mac. I've seen what owning one can do to people. And I don't want any part of that."

I always love it how some people look at Mac user enthusiasm as a negative...as if the Mac operating system is some sort of drug that forces you to believe that it is superior. That these people never consider that Mac users enthusiasm might be a result of a better product, never ceases to amaze me..

12. NOV
    macrumors 6502

NOV

I really 'liked' this part:

Well I don't in what backward part of the country that teacher and those reporters live
    :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

M-O-R-O-N!!!

Yeah, switch to PC and get yourself in troubles...

the man is in the artificial "Win XP Vs Mac os 8" era...

Put the man inside the bag! :mad:

Attached Files:

14. macrumors regular

I still like that one most:
    "phasing out the Macs was a no-brainer"

15. macrumors 601

stoid

Haha, I finally get the pun. Yes it would take a rather brainless person to phase out Macs for Windows machines. :D

16. macrumors 6502a

Phasing out your carrer is a no-brainer.

17. macrumors regular

Iroganai

we should've bombarded him

not with 700 emails, but 700 iMac G5s!

As for floppies etc,
    maybe those using Windows are somehow forced to use such an
    slow & relatively expensive-per-capacity device even now...

But I think the majorities are now using USB memories,
    just CD-Rs, internet storages, or portable HDs including iPods,
    or just carrying around your notebooks...

Mmm...

18. macrumors newbie

Seriously... floppies?

Ever since 1998, computers on college campuses I've been to have always had a Zip drive on every computer, be it Mac or PC in their labs. Not just the creative labs, but ALL labs. The PCs had floppies, and about half of the Macs had add-on USB floppy drives but no one used them! Students brought in Zip disks (much more storage) and CD-RWs. Now presentations and such are brought in on pen drives, iPods, CD-R(W)s, and students are welcomed to bring in their own laptops as well.

NO ONE is using floppies anymore. Seriously. Was Mr. Brooks one of those people in '98 trying to say people still need 5.25" floppy disk drives???

He also touched on viruses and spyware attacks, but answering with: Some say this is because Macs have such a small share of the market that hackers don't bother. Others say this is because Macs have superior anti-virus programs. Nowhere does he suggest OS X is just a more secure OS overall and, no, it's not "superior anti-virus programs." If I was to write a paper like this for one of my classes, I'd need to quote sources and do some research. Mr. Brooks would learn probably 90% of MAcs aren't running anti-virus software at all because it's not necessary.

Scary thing is.... the main page of the herald Tribune says "Southwest Florida's Information Leader" HA!

19. macrumors 604

iJon

My high school still used floppies. It was awful. They had nothing else to use. They were also using old equipment. They tended to adopt new techonlogies as they upgraded to newer computers.

I also want to find out his home phone number now, just cause someone got it wrong. No intentions of harrassing him, but it would be fun.

jon

20. macrumors 68000

Gah! Probably never be read; I'll bet he has a Mail rule in Outlook Express (;))which sends *mac* to the Trash. I know I would If I were a stubborn, closed minded nincompoop expecting lots of Mac-related spam.

21. macrumors 6502

Mainyehc

Spot on!

Anyway, I believe in that "Outlook filter" theory. But I think he actually scrubbed through the trash folder, in search of some ugly e-mails, conveniently ignoring information-rich ones. What a dumb-ass... He is the one who seems to be confused... It smells a lot like Stockholm Syndrome! And do you know what I call that attitude of his? DOUBLETHINK!!

22. macrumors member

He and the person who wrote him must have been talking about floppy disks. Not that I have actually used a floppy disk in years, but Macs could read PC-formatted floppies but the reverse was not true unless software like MacDrive were installed on the PC.

23. macrumors 65816

neonart

In Strongbad's famous words: Unsubscribe me! Take me offalist!

Seriusly folks, if you receive this paper, simply write a polite letter to Mr. Brooks, Mr. Connely, and the subscriptions desk and tell them you would like to NOT receive their newspaper based on Mr. Brooks poorly written article as it shows lack of professional journalism from a newspaper.

But there's probably like 3 people that get that paper anyhow.

24. macrumors newbie

Old School

Unfortunately there are more morons out there than just him. These people are old school, and will never listen to reason.

Giving the reason to buy Wintel boxes for the students because it will probably be the system they will use in the work force is bull. Even Windows will change in 5 to 10 years to come that they will have to learn new stuff about the operating system.

I believe that the school systems should offer students Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. It will make students realize more about computers in general. Knowing only one way to do something on a computer is a very dangerous way of learning, because if something changes in the OS, people wouldn't know what to do.

I remember a long time ago David Progue of CNET was a Mac basher, and wrote an article that received a lot of criticism. Then when he tried a Mac, he later wrote a bunch of positive articles, and even bought one. So my point is I don't even bother reading negative articles about a product unless they thoroughly used the product.

The best thing that people can do is call him a phony, a reporter who writes a persuasive article that is very biased, and no evidence/research to back up his point of view is a bad writer.

25. macrumors member

My mom has PCs and a Mac in her classroom (4th and 5th grade). The PCs are only used for using World and IE, and absolutely nothing else.

However, the class has digital cameras, a camcorder, a scanner, and tons of multimedia stuff. The kids all refuse to do any of that on the PC, so there ends up being a long line to use the old G3. Having a dock alone changes everything; it encourages kids to launch software and play around with stuff that they would never come across if they had to click a start button and then navigate through the window to find it.

I think those students are much better prepared to use computers in the future, be it a mac or PC. At the same time, the students that can only use PCs and never do that much on them will be able to do just as little on their computers in the future as well. I think PCs are simply too complex for elementary students to use, where as OS X is a perfect introduction into the world of modern operating systems.

Oh yeah, my mom is responsible for all maintenance on the machines too, which she isn't very good at and has no time for, so viruses are a huge pain. In the end they have to wait weeks for the district to send an IT person out (maybe that's only in New Mexico's cash- strapped schools, but I would guess viruses are a huge pain for teachers all over regardless of how may IT people the school has). At least that mac has been there saving them money for almost 4 years now.

Oh yea, his facts are wrong too. Where does a 97% Windows market share come from? Isn't 3% Mac over all, another 3 to 6 percent linux or unix, and windows accounts for the rest? And isn't that including business machines, whereas home users are closer to 10% macs? I think he saw one thing mention a 3% apple market share, assumed that meant home users, and then went on to assume that windows and mac are the only two operating systems out there so MS must have all the rest. What a poor journalists, he should go to a school and try to gather his own information at the very least...