Richard Pryor dead at 65

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kernow, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

The comedian Richard Pryor has died after a long illness - see BBC news here

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Saw him on Access Hollywood recently. He didn't look too good from the ravages of MS.

3. Kernow thread starter macrumors 65816

Kernow

Seems he died of a heart attack. Does MS increase the likelihood of this happening?

4. retasi macrumors member

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Multiple sclerosis :rolleyes:

6. kjr39 macrumors 6502

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

No. Men are notoriously hard to resuscitate from cardiac arrest and having one pretty much guarantees brain injury of some kind.

So brain injury + male disposition + MS + age = poor outlook.

AppleMatt
    edit: I just searched OVID. Combining "multiple sclerosis" with "cardiac attack". It gave me 4 results from around 35,000 given for them seperately.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's sad. I let out a gasp when I saw the thread title, startling my gf. I guess this means that I'm not apathetic, eh? Pryor was groundbreaking and instrumental in the evolution of stand-up comedy. He will be missed.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The articles announcing his death mention him working the freebasing incident into his act. I remember the joke. He said he was burned when he mixed whole milk with skim and dipped in a cookie.

He was a comedy force of nature, that's for sure.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And his running down the street on fire with everyone getting out of his way except for the drunk who asked him for a light.

A class act.

Sad to see him go. RIP.

Sushi

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

A great loss, his routine about the monkey left me with pulled muscles, he was a true original.

RIP Richard Pryor.

12. iDONTdoWINDOWS macrumors member

One of the greatest comedians of our time. RIP

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

"In 1980, he suffered serious burns over about half his body when he set himself on fire while freebasing cocaine - dissolving it over a flame and inhaling the fumes.

He later said the incident was actually a suicide attempt.

But he later incorporate the event into his routine, joking that igniting yourself "sobers you up pretty fast". "

OK, laughing at 12.55am almost loud enough to wake up the neighbours isn't generally recomended.

14. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

very sad. Richard Prior offered a lot of insight on society.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Just learned about this while my partner and I were watching The Wiz. Wow.

Ease on down the road Richard... You'll be sorely missed.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Heard this on the radio last night... one short report went something along the lines of:

Richard Pryor, star of the film Brewster's Millions, has died...

Brewster's Millions? :rolleyes:

The man was and is a legend — a true original voice in standup.

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

He was one of the funniest comedians of all time, and he will be missed.

18. themacmaestro macrumors member

19. CalGrunt macrumors regular

He was sooooooooooooooo much more than that.

He was a master story teller (Toodlums and Miss Rudolph, the Voodoo Lady.........:D )................. and one of the greatest modern day satirist of all time.

He made us laugh not only at him, but at ourselves, and that is a gift that is not given by many.

Anyone who makes millions of people laugh and brings that kind of lightness into the seriousness of life deserves more than to be called Mr. Foul Mouth upon his death.

If that is all that you saw, than all I can say is that you missed some truly great moments in comedy.

20. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I could have sworn he died a long time ago....like early 90's. Now I feel really bad.

Brewter's Millions, indeed. He was much better than that. RIP

21. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

Brewster's Millions was a movie where he was going to inherit a family member's money. He had to spend a certain amount by a certain date to get all of it, or something along those lines. Ah, those 80's movies.
    :)

RIP

22. CalGrunt macrumors regular

Yeah, but to mention Brewster's Millions as his claim to fame is just so far off the mark, it's not even funny. That's like saying that Jimi Hendrix's claim to fame was being the lead guitar player in Little Richard's band.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

RIP Richard.....you was a funny man....u will be missed

Bless

24. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Richie, I will miss you! At a time when you, among my forefathers that were putting a struggle for equality - re Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcom X (no matter how controversial) - you were able to put it in focus, as a pioneer in comedy. Bringing it to the forefront of all races to laugh at, yet go home and think about.

You influenced other comedians like Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, etc etc.

Although your performance in Superman 3 wasnt to my liking, it did show your early struggles with MS was beginning to be tough. I state Multiple sclerosis as MS because that illness was smaller than you. You have an ex-wife even today that keeps your name because of love! It takes a special person to still be loved by those not close to you but away from you to STILL love you!

In my eyes MS didnt beat you, but it weakened your ability to fight a heart attack; because it fundamentally weakens your nervous system, something your heart is appart of.

But your heart was always strong, in the right place, showing us your personal experiences and pain with racial comedy, neighbor comedy and just plain being a human being could be reflected upon as a healing process for us all!

We still love you Richie; always will!:( ;)

Live well in heaven, and if God says you swear too much ... tell it like you told Eddie; say to him to "have a coke and a smile and shut the F**K up!" - just like Eddie told it to us!

God Bless.