Richard Ramirez, Serial Killer 'Night Stalker' Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RawBert, Jun 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Remember this psycho? Glad he's finally dead. When I was a kid, it seemed all LA was in fear of this bastard.

2. macrumors 68030

joepunk

And what's just as horrible is that the guy had fans and got married.

Wikipedia Link

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

What an evil man.:(

4. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

He spent 23 years on death row...

23 years on death row is at least 13 years to long.

5. macrumors 65816

designs216

Amazing that despite all the evil he had done, we still could not bring ourselves to arrange a meeting with our Maker. Instead, he died in a nice soft bed after several decades of meals and housing furnished by the people he once terrorized.

6. macrumors 65816

Mousse

You know, if he committed these crimes in Texas, we would have executed him years ago. If I had a vote in the method of execution, it would be lethal injection of a rusty knife...multiple times. It's a lot cheaper than the standard lethal injection/gas chamber/electric chair.

And people complain about Texas executing prisoners. Well, this guy is the the sort of scum we execute in Texas.

7. macrumors G5

yg17

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

8. macrumors member

Executing people, with all the attendant risks of killing people innocently and wrongly convicted, is not the answer in a civilised world. It simply stoops to the level of the criminal.

Allowing these people to keep their lives, no matter what evils they have committed and no matter how much we may detest them, shows that we are better than them. That should be the aspiration of all people who wish for a just world.

9. macrumors member

Also, it rids them of any possibility of remorse. Where I live, the leader of an infamous biker gang was sentenced to life in prison for murder. Five years later, the leader turned to Christianity and he confessed all the criminal activities the biker gang had done, including two other murders that had gone unsolved. His decision required some serious remorse, because according to the biker gang rules, all snitches are to be killed as soon as possible - a rule the leader himself knew all too well. If an execution had been carried out, the two additional murders might have never been solved.

There's plenty of interviews and biographies, where people, who have received their revenge either through their own means or through an execution provided by the legal system say that removing the violator from existence is merely a temporary comfort. The loss of the person, who was originally killed never ceases to torment the minds, who were left behind.

10. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Why on earth does it take 24 years and counting, to carry out a sentence. It's not like he didn't have his (many) days in court. 2007 should have been the year.

To many people incomprehensible.

An insult to the surviving relatives of those he so gruesomely and remorselessly butchered.

11. macrumors member

END3R

He killed Peter Pan.

12. macrumors newbie

+1,
    I wholeheartedly agree

Good riddance.

13. macrumors 6502a

Gutwrench

Many times I've heard people try to comfort the grieved by saying, "give it time, time heals everything."

What my life has taught me is that time heals nothing. It merely makes the pain more tolerable.

14. macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

23 years is 23 too many

15. macrumors 6502

Ummm.....no. People learn that there are consequences for actions. I wouldn't be blind.

If convicted killers sentenced to death were expediently terminated, the murder rate would decrease.

16. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No it's never worked that way..

17. macrumors G5

yg17

Convicted killers aren't quickly executed because they have a constitutional right to due process. You'll be glad you have that right if you ever get convicted for a crime you didn't commit.

18. macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's 23 years too long as we shouldn't have a death row. Fortunately this guy got to spend his life in prison and die before the state was able to stoop to his level and murder him.

19. macrumors G3

rhett7660

And here we go.

20. Oui
    macrumors 6502

The idiots are on parade for sure.

21. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

I used to be a fan of capital punishment, until someone with detailed knowledge explained it to me. Because of the fact that there can be (and have been) cases where the wrong person was convicted, our system has to be incredibly diligent in making sure that no one who is innocent is killed.

What this means is that it has to take a lot of time. And since there has to be this high level of certainty, the cost to kill someone is many, many times more than what it takes to incarcerate them for life. I was shocked to learn this as I assumed we would save money by killing someone.

I have come to the conclusion that I would be happy with serious, violent criminals getting life without the possibility of parole, as long as that can't be reduced to life with the possibility, which always confused me anyway.