ricochet and laptops

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by twelve, Jan 20, 2003.

1. twelve macrumors member

Does anyone know if it is possible or has gotten an ibook or powerbook to work with the ricochet wireless service? Are these laptops able to install a PCMIA modem?

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Ricochet still exists? I didn't realize that. As to your question, try it out. I see no reason why it shouldn't, as long as you have a powerbook with a PCMCIA card slot.

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yea, i think ricochet went bankrupt.. mebbe im wrong..

4. twelve thread starter macrumors member

they did, but there back in denver and san diego and offer pcmia modems for laptops and software for both mac and pc. Do the new powerbooks have such a slot or is this the same as a PC slot which the tech specs mention?

5. twelve thread starter macrumors member

does anyone know if the pc card (what it says in the tech specs) is the same as a PCMCIA slot on the powerbook laptops?

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yes, the're the same thing: PC Card, PCMCIA, CardBus, etc. I'm amazed Ricochet has mac drivers. Have fun!

I used Ricochet when it was available in NYC. I miss it :( Verizon wireless offers 2.5G service at about the same speed, but it can't match Ricochet's $75 unlimited access. Is that still what it costs? I started out with the Merlin "modem" PC card, but then the antenna broke, but I got a free upgrade to the Sierra "network" card (so I don't have to dial in - it's just like an ethernet card. Which card will you have? If you have a choice, I definitely recommend the Sierra.

7. twelve thread starter macrumors member

Cool and thank you for the clarification. Actually the price is down to 45 for unlimited access. the card is sold by ricochet for $99 or free if you sign up for six months.

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Oh my goodness gracious!!!! :eek:

I WANT IT!

$45, that's about what I pay for cable modem! Granted, my cable modem is 10 times faster, but Ricochet is niiiiiiiiiice!

Anyway, it's not really an option on my iBook anyway, since it has no PC card, and there's no way I'd use the clunky external USB Richochet modem (do they still offer those?).

I hope Ricochet comes back to NYC so it can compete with the cellular-based services and bring down prices. Right now Verizon charges $99/month for unlimited high-speed service, for example. The advantage of cellular would be that I could hopefully use a Bluetooth phone as a modem. That would be sweeeeet! I wouldn't pay much more than $50 bucks a month, though, since I already use Wi-Fi at home and at school, so it would only be for hanging out at a park or cafe or something.

9. twelve thread starter macrumors member

Not sure, they do have another airport-looking modem but it doesn't say if it is usb. yeah i'm seriously considering a new 17 inch to replace my desktop and serve as a laptop as well with the ricochet modem.