Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captnroger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2002
First of all, this isn't a bitch or whine!

Why is it I can order the 10.2 upgrade for $129 and get free shipping, or choose $5 second day shipping/$23 next-day shipping, and Apple is charging $19.99 USPS shipping for the up-to-date upgrades?

hmmm...

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Handling

Apple is charging $19.99 for shipping and handling. If you buy Jaguar straight, you will get standard handling, but if you require an upgrade, they use very special handling. This handling is so special, in fact, that several lonely mom's-basement-dwelling Mac geeks have attempted to sneak into the Apple shipping hub, dressed as Jaguar upgrades, in a desperate attempt to be handled in this special way. You'll get you 20 bucks' worth, trust me. Or at least you'll get a happy Jaguar. :D

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Does it actually say shipping and handling on the order form? Most of the online upgrades such as iDVD2 are listed as $19.95 with free shipping and handling. It just depends on how you look at it. Apple is basically making $16 profit for it and can call it what they want, but they just want more of your money.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
actually it was 19.95 for the upgrade...it was just an immensly low price for jaguar...it had free shipping...but i upgraded to a 2-day shipping instead of 5 for only $5...it is NOT 19.95 for shipping and handling...it IS 19.95 for the upgrade

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
From the up-to-date page

"Apple would like to give you the opportunity to upgrade to Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar.” Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac OS X v10.1 retail product or a new Macintosh computer on or after July 17, 2002, that does not have Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar” included can upgrade to Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar” for US$19.95.*

*Covers product plus shipping and handling fee. U.S. customers add appropriate state sales tax. "

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.