Ridge Warns of Unspecified Terror Threat in U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 8, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i find the timing curious. the day after the Edwards as VP annoucement, news of the Lay indictment was leaked. the next day, Ridge issues another terror warning, but w/ no new information and no change of the alert level.

seems others are wondering the same thing...

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The terror threat level will be raised between now and the election. I predicted this probably close to a year ago.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm surprised it doesn't just follow the polls...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Does anyone even pay attention to this anymore?

It seems like a case of "the boy who cried wolf" to me.

If you are the administration, it is a nice tool to have in your political bag o' tricks, though...

Question: If there was another terrorist attack between now and the election, would it benefit or hurt Bush?
    On one hand, his administration would have "let" it happen, despite all their "tough talk", and it would highlight their lack of funding for Homeland Security etc.

OTOH, the country might just rally around Bush in a time of crisis, regardless of any potential merit/rationality behind such a decision.

Hmmm...

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hate to say it, but I think this is more likely.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Really? A second attack would be much different than 9/11, as we are fighting a WOT, and the Pres. has made it his priority. He cannot claim the same amount of surprise, and charges of him concentrating money and forces in Iraq would gain added force. If I was Kerry, it would be an excellent opportunity (though not one anyone welcomes) for him to lambast the Presidents' efforts and competence in fighting terrorism and keeping the US safe, and an excellent opportunity to position himself as a fresh alternative...

Bush might initially get the "fear" vote, so to speak, but I believe Kerry would get the resultant "anger" vote, which in part could be channeled towards GW's inept leadership...

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

No. I generally think it is a ploy to scare people into voting for Bush by dragging up feelings that were felt after 9/11. Since people now blame Bush for 9/11 it isn't going to work.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

To the first point, I don't, but Bush is still polling in the mid to high 40's, so some significant portion of the country does.

If there were a terrorist attack, there would definitely be a "rally around the flag" effect. I think it would even be a political coup for Bush. Kerry wouldn't dare attack him for fear of "using this terrible tragedy to play base, mud-slinging political games.

Bush, meanwhile, could claim that he has been held back by pansy-waisted Democrats who were "unwilling to do what's necessary to protect this Great Nation Of Ours by reducing civil liberties even farther and giving the administration even more power.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Or for the real paranoids among us, how about a replay of the Reichstag fire? I hear there are plans being develop for if the elections have to be postponed. :eek:

Trouble with all this stuff is, although I wouldn't doubt Rove and Co. will do just about anything they can get away with in order to stay in power, I also don't doubt al Qaeda is planning another attack. All we can do is work to get this fool out of the White House and hope the professionals in the FBI, CIA, etc do their job to stop future attacks. Not a lot to hang onto right now, but it's the best we've got.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, I don't doubt that either Sayhey. And really I don't think this is wagging the dog. More like CYA. Lets call it an innoculation against charges of unreadiness if there were to be another major attack on American soil between now and November.