ridicolous pricedifference

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gerror, Jul 18, 2002.

1. gerror macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pricedifferences are way too big to blame it on VAT or something. Now the Euro is at the same level as the Dollar, the prices should be more or less the same. but 150 Euro/Dollar is not fun anymore.
    I'll wait till my aunt in the USA come to visit us and she will bring me one.

Gerror

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I'm with you on that!

And the funny part is, that for the other hardware (and software) it is just the same.

Apple has a margin of 30% on their products. I don't see why it is necessary for them to put 10-15% on top of that for european users. They should sell their stuff 1:1 and adapt the prices whenever necessary (like every month would be OK). And now for the people who say that they need prices they can plan with... What's the big deal? The exchange course will go up and down once in a while, it all equals out on the long run, if they can't react fast enough or have the stocks full with stuff.

We were never in the situation that Apple sold stuff for less than the US prizes. You can be sure that they raise the prizes immediately, if the € would lose 20% of it's value over night. So that way Apple is always the "winner", cashing in some extra margin from us "stupid" europeans! Of course they don't correct the prices when the euro is going up. Just look at what's going on right now!

I guess I am really annoyed by Apple lately! :(

groovebuster

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's pretty crazy if you ask me. Sorry you guys have to deal with that extra price. I know a while ago the Aussies were all complaining about the prices too, so its not just Europe that's getting screwed. :(

D

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

well the UK prices look a little fairer :

5Gb : £259 ($346 excl. V.A.T.)
    10Gb : £329 ($439.54 excl. V.A.T.)
    20Gb : £398.99 ($533 excl. V.A.T.)

We're still paying a bit more but not an obscene amount extra.

It's a shame this doesn't apply to other apple related products from other companies, assuming we can even buy them over here :mad:

I can't for the life of me find anywhere selling a Powerlogix 550Mhz Powerforce G4 in the UK, maybe it's just aswell, they charge over 80% more than the US retail price over here for the 450Mhz Powerforce G4 model and that's without V.A.T.

If Apple can only "slightly" screw europe on the prices, something that can vary by it's degree according to exchange rates, how do these other companies manage to get away with daylight robbery ?

I'm blaming the distributors for a lot of the 3rd party products being so overpriced, if apple can keep the prices so similar I don't see how other companies can't do the same.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You guys in countries other then the US, or ones on the same continent (i.e. Canada) ever stop to think that they might charge more because of the shipping to you guys??? There could also be tariffs involved here that Apple is not willing to eat (and reduce/eliminate any profit on the products). If you really want to pay a better price, make a trip to the US and purchase your Apple products. Either that, or pay someone over here to purchase it for you and ship it over. Chances are, you will end up paying about the same money after shipping and the money exchange.

Is it just me, or do more people seem to be b*tching about the prices of Apple products in other countries too much?? Then again, people are also whining about Apple charging for the iTools accounts now. :rolleyes: I swear, some people are just NOT happy unless they have something to complain about. :rolleyes: :p

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

This is just another example of how APPLE will use any method to GOUGE their users for more money at every turn!

This is SO blatantly obvious that APPLE should be ashamed!

What fuhreakin justification could they possible come up with?

I am telling you that APPLE needs to be taught a lesson, that they can't take their loyal users for GRANTED anymore!

This whole situation was ridiculous a year ago, now its INSANELY ludicrious.

MAC users UNITE and strike back at the corporate manipulators.
    Or else another M$ will be born, if it isnt already?

PS , I dont think its the shipping, APPLE stuff ships from a place other than AMERICA, its cheaper to ship to EUROPE than AMERICA.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

tone it down a little there Grokgod - you'll cause the anti-zealot campaign to re-emerge....

did you read all of Alpha's post - its probably tariffs - how else could the prices be so different from one country to the next. Import taxes suck, period, but they happen. We went to war over one, remember, Boston, tea, indians.....:D

D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Those people with the red overcoats running home to their mommies after kicked their asses out... :eek: :eek: :D

9. gbojim macrumors 6502

A couple of comments re different prices.

Buying in Canada is pretty good. The difference in price is usually about 2% less than the exchange rate so that is in our favor. Since we have free trade with the US there are no tariffs.

As for the Euro, Fred Anderson said in the earnings conference call the other day that Apple would be making adjustments in pricing since the Euro has gained a lot against the USD recently.

10. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

1) It doesn't help me to buy a machine in the US, since I don't use it for private stuff! Tax offices have some problems to accept bills from outside EU. Also don't forget that a PowerBook with an english keyboard is pretty useless in Germany or non-english countries!

2) The tariffs are max 5% for importing stuff like computers to Europe. Since the stuff is not produced in the US either I don't see the difference between Europe and the US. They import stuff from Asia as well and have to pay tarriffes on that.

3) You don't really want to tell me that shipping a container full of PowerMacs costs 600$ each for Apple, right? Or 200$ for an iPod!?!? Overall it is not more expensive for Apple to ship some computers to Seattle (for example) compared to shipping a big amount of machines within Europe since they are assembeled in Ireland anyway for Europe since almost 15 years. On my Quicksilver I can read "Assembled in Ireland", so that didn't change so far I guess! You didn't know that, huh? Even a lot of the PowerMacs, PowerBooks, etc... pp... sold in North America are assembled in Ireland! Next time check the little sticker on the back of your machine... could be possible that your mac assembled in Europe!

I still think that Apple is screwing the Mac Users outside the US! We had prizes that were 1:1 many years ago, but why doing that if the people are stupid enough to pay the money anyway, huh? The problem is, that they are not at all competetive anymore with prizes 15-20% higher on top of the already high Apple prizes.

Oh, and before I forget... Even QT 6 Pro costs 35$ (plus sales tax) here. No shipping or whatever! I DOWNLOAD it myself! Again almost 20% more. So I think it is pretty obviuos what is going in here! :mad:

groovebuster

11. Classic macrumors regular

Price difference.....

Here's what I think is strange.

5GB iPod = $299 or 399 euro
    10GB iPod = $399 or 499 euro
    20GB iPod = $499 or 649 euro

Now if we look at the progression, in the states, that's a $100 increase to buy the next best prodcut. However, on the euro side, the price difference between the 20GB and 10GB is 150 euros.

Now regardless of the conversion rate between USD/euros, and regardless of whether or not the products are priced higher in Europe., it seems that those customers purchasing the 20GB iPod in Europe are doubly screwed.

Why doesn't Apple keep the 1:1 price jump ratio, and instead uses 1:1.5 for the 20GB iPod in Europe?

Maybe you guys in europe can buy from macmall.com or some other US store, and have them ship it across the ocean.....

Incidentally, macmall.com has older 10GB iPods selling for $349

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ya it is, but the powermac/powerbook (i think) is still priced at as the us dollar is worth 1.6 canadian, but now its back to bout 1.53, its not that bad yet, as long as our dollar goes back to 67c by this year it'll be good ;), its been at 65 for months now

13. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

check this

5gig = $299US and $645AUS
    10gig = $399US and $845AUS
    20gig = $499US and $1145AUS

now is that fair ........... no :(

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That's actually not a bad idea. The anti-zealot campaign probably should re-emerge after all these .mac rants.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Fair has nothing to do with it... it is what it is, and that's all that it is. :p :D

Maybe when[/if] you guys get some Apple stores down there you will see the prices closer to the exchange rate equal. Then again, they can only update proces so often. How long were the memory prices at the old rates before they even started to adjust them??? :p

16. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Why should that happen? Those prices are from the Online Apple Store. If they have the possibilty to give away the stuff for less it is now, since they don't have to pay rent for a "physical" store and staff. Here in Germany the normal retail stores are often cheaper than the Apple Online Store. The problem is just that special configuartions you only get directly from Apple...

groovebuster

17. blogo macrumors 6502

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Uh Alpha... I think you'll find we have plently of Apple stores in Australia.

(Quickly checks latest edition of Australian MacWorld)

We have 47 Apple stores and a population of 18 million, that's one Apple store to every 380,000 Australians. I can get to 5 different Apple stores in half an hour from my house. Not sure how many Apple stores you guys have in the US, but I'm guessing the ratio is a lot larger.

I'm sure you can see now that not having any Apple stores in Australia has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

:Dg

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have about 4 in an hour of me, one thats take 20mins to get to , so I am kinda lucky that way

20. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

For a lot of people the world outside the US is associated with primates living on trees who just discovered how to keep the fire.

I am happy that I can drum my messages and a nice american fellow is posting them for me on the internet! :D

No offense Alpha... but it was just too tempting! :D You really have a talent to throw in totally uninformed statements regarding possible life outside your little town (You were from Masachusetts, right?)...

Be nice!

groovebuster

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I am NOT talking about stores that sell Apple products, but Apple's [own] Retail outlets. I just checked on Apple's au online store, and you do NOT have a link to find an Apple retail location (like we do in the US). On Apple's online store, there is a small item in the lower left corner of the page that looks like what I have placed below. With that link, you can find the different Apple Retail locations, easily.

Do you mooks out in the other countries have that??? I have heard rumors of Apple stores (retail locations) in the UK, but there are no links up on the web store.

Attached Files: