Right Click and 'create new folder'

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by The Samurai, Oct 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Switched to Mac (first one and really really impressed) recently.

My question is, in Windows, I was able to right click and then create new folders. I can't do this on a mac. Is there any software out there I should be aware of, in order to get the same function?

2. Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yes, you can. Just bring up a Finder-window, right click (do you know how to do that? If not - do you use trackpad or external mouse?) und click on "New Folder".

3. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

hold "control" and click to bring up a contextual menu, you should be able to make a new folder.

or if you are on a notebook/laptop you can press the trackpad button, while you have two fingers on the trackpad (as opposed to one as you would normally.)

if you are doing this from within bootcamp (unsure as you have posted this in the "windows on a mac" forums) the first method should still work in windows.

4. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its very simple...

1)location the folder you want to create the new folder in.

2) either
    * Right click and choose the topmost option ("New Folder"(
    * use the key command :Apple: + :Shift: + "N".

simple

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Ahhhh got it.

Thank you everyone :D, much much appreciated. This new Macbook rocks :D

Whilst on the same subject, is it possible to right click and create a new word file and/or text file etc, as can be done on a Windows machine.

Lastly, are there any good sites or guides with all the keyboard shortcuts on it?

6. macrumors 603

richard.mac

nope! thats just a Windows habit that will soon die. click Pages/TextEdit/Word in your dock and type away or open a saved file from Finder. if the habit remains check NuFile out.

ProTip: to email a file drag it onto Mail's icon and a new message will open with the file as an attachment. you can also choose "Mail…" from Safari's File menu to do the same for a webpage.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Keyboard_shortcuts