Right-click on Wireless Mighty Mouse - almost useless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superleccy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Hi

I just got my new Wireless Mighty Mouse. Is it me, or is the right-click shockingly lame?

My settings are correct in System Preferences, but it hardly ever sucessfully registers a right-click. Yes, I am taking my index finger off the left "button".

I have been experimenting and I have found two things that help the situation...
    1) When right-clicking with my middle finger, I lift my index finger about 2-3 inches away from the shell of the mouse - this gives improved probability of getting a right-click, but still only 80% of the time.
    2) I switch the mouse off and then on again, which improves the success rate (to about 80% again) for about five minutes, before it goes back to being rubbish.

But still... the right click is as good as useless. I'm switching the setting back to one button until I find a fix.

OK, I know the MM takes a bit of getting used to, but this is ridiculous. It seems like the touch (capacitive?) sensors in the mouse are way out of calibration. Is just mine like this, or is it all of them?

I do not have another mighty mouse (wired or otherwise) to compare it to. However, my Dad has had a wired mighty mouse for a few months and he has no complaints (and belive me, he would complain if he couldn't right-click).

How about everyone else? £49 is too much for a mouse that doesn't do what it says on the tin!

Regards
    Superleccy

2. riciad macrumors 6502

No problems with mine and the 3D programs that are my most used apps involve constant right clicking.

I didn't have to alter my mouse clicking method at all from my previous Radtech BT mouse.

3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It took a bit of getting used to but now switching between left and right clicking is easy.

4. nicoritschel macrumors regular

I'm having the EXACT same problem as you. I think I'm going to have to get a replacement at the apple store.

EDIT: Try removing one battery. I did this, and my right click works perfectly now.

5. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Correction, the Mighty Mouse is useless not just the right click. Save yourself some trouble and get yourself a wireless laser mouse from logitech for a lot less.

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I have to admit...the right click is a bit difficult to accurately press at some times.

7. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

I'm quoting this for truth.

8. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Bizarre, that actually helps! But still not good enough.

It's not just a case of getting used to it. I can hold my entire hand well clear of the mouse and click the right side with an extended index finger, and still it only-sometimes registers a right-click.

Apple are arranging a replacement for me... we shall see if that's any better. Else, I'm going back to 1-buttonville.

I like Logitech mice... but I'd still prefer the WMM if it worked. The responsiveness and configurability are perfect (apart from the right-click obviously), and I love the scrollball. If Logitech had a bluetooth mouse with a scrollball, I might consider them. But they don't.

Each to their own.

Regards
    Superleccy

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The right click on mine works 100% of the time, so your mouse definitely sounds defective. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the replacement!

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Why do you say this?

My BT Mighty Mouse works 100% perfectly, the right click is just as good as any other mouse. I suggest the OP consider getting it replaced if they are having issues with theirs but it's likely user related.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yours must be incorrectly manufactured to work properly. I haven't found one that works as well as any other brand's mouse. :p

It almost feels as though you have to take to standing on one leg or the other to get the positioning and leverage right for the left and right click. The side buttons are near impossible to use intuitively--you pretty much need to quit what you're doing to focus on using one of them.

The design is clever--too clever for humans.

12. riciad macrumors 6502

I wonder does it work better with smaller hands?

When my first two fingers are positioned just right for the top buttons, my thumb and little finger rest nicely on the side buttons and a gentle squeeze is all that's needed to activate them.

One of my sons, who has much larger hands than mine, found it a bit awkward, especially the side buttons.

I really love mine. The magnification with ctrl+scroll is really time-saving in Artlantis as before I'd have to zoom in with the zoom tool and wait for the window to re-draw if I wanted to do something like change the texture in a very small area.

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

What's wrong with buttons anyway? Nice "innovation". :rolleyes:

14. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

15. joe8232 macrumors regular

I have the same problem as the op with the right click. I tried turning it off (closing the cover) and that seems to do the trick - pretty annoying really. Let us know how you get on with the replacement and if that works i will ring apple also.

16. cube macrumors G4

Now try clicking the left and right buttons at the same time.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

As a matter of habit, before right-clicking I take all fingers off and tap the right hand side with my middle finger. Works well for me (with a wired Mighty Mouse).

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ahh yes, Steve Jobs and his horrible direction and instance that all apple mice be useless! Remember the iMac's hockey puck?

It must be written somewhere: "All Mice produced by apple must be useless, we will not implement standard technology within a reasonable timeframe, and when we do we will make it almost un-useable"

Sorry, it's just frustrating to see Apple continue to release such sub par mice when the rest of their products are so great. It's really time for them to just cave in and say "ok, not everything has to think different"

19. joe8232 macrumors regular

I kind of agree with you here but other than the iffy right click I really like the mighty mouse. Since this is the only apple mouse i have used i couldn't comment on others but they do seem to be trying too hard to make them different.

20. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Apple are sending a replacement... I'll let you know if it's any better.

Apart from the right-click, no.

That produces a left-click. AFAIK it physically won't recognise both L&R pressed simultaneously... which I know annoys the gamers.

Regds
    SL

21. joe8232 macrumors regular

I spoke to apple yesterday and they seem to think that it was a software problem so they told me to re-install the software which i did and taht worked for about an hour so i rang back and they are now sending me a new one as well.

22. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

These mice break.. ALOT so this may be normal. I hate Mighty Mouse...:cool:

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My early might mouse is still working perfectly. You have to know how to use and clean them.

When I right click, I consciously apply reverse pressure to the left mouse button... as in, I lift my index finger up slightly.

24. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats the truth its more about getting used to how to use them I got mine this weekend and have been pleased so far really amazing mouse got used to it within about half an hour and has been working great since....

If the problem you are experiencing in your opinion is hardware based then take it in to the store you purchased it from and get a new one,

ShadoW

25. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

My Replacement Works Fine

Hi

My replacement Mighty Mouse arrived today, and I am pleased to say that (so far) it works fine. It's very responsive and a joy to use - yes even the right click. True, I do need to make sure my index finger is not touching the left "button", but this is second nature. No "learning how to use it" required.

The WMM might not be to everyone's taste, but if yours runs like a dog, then it's definately knackered... you should get it replaced.

All the best, and thanks everyone else for your feedback.
    SL