Right or left Handed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by student_trap, Apr 19, 2006.

Are you: Right handed, left handed, or ambidextrous

1. Right Handed

97 vote(s)
  2. Left Handed

52 vote(s)
  3. Ambidextrous

22 vote(s)
  1. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    Ok guys,

Are you left handed, right handed, or ambidextrous?

Do you come across and problems due to being one of the above?

I am right handed, which im guessing makes a lot of things easier for me, although my fingers are more dextrous on my left hand (due to being a guitarist no doubt)!
  2. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
  3. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm right handed but I've got a hunch (based on a rumour and nothing concrete) that although the split of left to right handers is meant to be (or so I've heard) about 10 to 1, I don't think the split will be that steep in this poll.

Apparently, left-handers (or, right brainers) are more inclined towards creativity and I'm guessing that, on the whole, your average Mac user is more creative than your average PC user. Generally.

Oh yeah, got myself a strong argument there. However, I'm sticking to it... and in such a way that I'll abandon it if the results suggest otherwise but rub my instinctive prediction in everyone's faces if I'm proven right :cool:

Check me out.

Oh, and as for ambidextrous people, I ain't got nothing to say about them. Apart from that I play badminton with this 6ft 3in guy who's ambidextrous (I'm 5ft 8in) and for a laugh he sometimes plays with two rackets. It's like playing some kind of end-of-level badminton boss - anyone remember Goro from Mortal Kombat?
  4. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    Left handed.
    No problems, but plenty of bloody irritants.

For example, the things around me now ...

- MS "ergonomic" mice
    - PB keyboard
    - scissors
    - can openers
    - tripod
    - cameras
    - and so on ad nauseam.
  5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    im ambidextrous. I can't reall write with my left hand because i never practiced, but many things i can switch off between my left and right no problem. Oddly enough, though i write Right-Handed, i naturally hold a hockey stick, golf club, and baseball bat left handed. ;)
  6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Right handed and never really had any problems with that... ;)
  7. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I've polled right-handed but can do a fair bit with my left hand, I can write OK with my left but was always taught to be right-handed.

I've an uncle who is ambidextrous and his party trick is to hold pens in both hands and draw a picture from the sides of a page to meet in the middle.
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm a lefty but do quite a bit right handed. Was taught sports by my right handed dad so I bat righty but throw lefty. I can't use a mouse left handed.

I use my left hand to self gratify myself but like to go righty on occasion. :eek:
  9. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    :confused: How do you applaud with just one hand, wouldn't that just be waving?.......oh wait a minute *penny drops*:D
  10. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Born Lefty, but do many things right handed so I labeled myself ambi...Bat right, golf right, I am even right footed, write with the left hand, throw with it, tennis requires minimal back hand as I just switch. I can write with both hands, but the real trick is writing upsidedown across a table with my left hand so the person across the way can read it fine ;) Can use a mouse on erither side and any configuration.

I would believe the majority of left handers would be a bit ambi due to the right handed world we live in...I mean look at the placement on most door knobs :) - I even hold my playing cards upside down ;)
  11. IanF0729 macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2005
    Baltimore, Maryland; Washington, D.C.
    I only write left handed, but everything else really doesn't matter. In all other respects, then, I'm ambidextrous.

It freaked my parents out a child. :cool:
  12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
  13. fuzzn macrumors member

Mar 22, 2005
    Notts, UK
    haha i'm the same! lefty since i was a baby... almost all sports with bats righty, tennis and bowling lefty, mouse and camera etc righty yet again. i don't know if that makes me ambi or still lefty, but i've alwayz thought of myself as lefty. unlike some other people in this forum i can't write with my right hand at all! :(
    not too irritated by the small things... just have to live with them i guess
  14. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm gonna do a science project on that whenever I get a Mac. The side of the brain probably doesn't mean jack squat, but it sounds good. I could, however, always change the results by trying to get my lefty friends to like Macs;).

I'm a lefty - i can do minor stuff with my right hand, such as golfing - i got in the habit of doing it right-handed, then I got a lefty set of clubs from my neighbor, couldn't do anything with 'em except swing. And that wasn't pretty. But I don't golf, so it don't matter.
  15. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    Actually, I think the poll would be somewhat skew here since we are all mac users. ;)
  16. fuzzn macrumors member

Mar 22, 2005
    Notts, UK
    i'm not... gonna be soon though... i'm hopefully making the switch after in sept or so... start of a new college year, better, more revised intel macs would have been released by then... and i'll actually have saved up the money to buy one! :p
  17. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Pretty much completely right handed. My left I am convinced is there for decoration
  18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm a righty and do everything right handed, except play hockey. For some reason, it feels more natural to do that left handed.
  19. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm this same way!

The only time I've really had any genuine problems has been when I used to do gymnastics. The components to my routines would be a mix of left and right ways of doing them and when they needed to be connected, it'd be a headache because gymnastics is supposed to flow and I just was not able to get that flow a lot of the time.
  20. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm left handed, but right footed.

(And I create nothing - but think about doing it a lot. Does that count as creative?)
  21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    I'm left handed, but the brutal regime of right handedness forced me to B/T with the right. I have noticed that unless you raise a stink, there are few to no accomodations made in society for something so debilitating as being left handed in a right handed world. I have had to throw fits to get left handed desks for various exams, classes and such. There is nothing like having to keep your arm levitated or turn 100 degrees clockwise for a four hour test....

My one conversion story is my little sister. When she was learning how to write, she was right handed. I kept telling her she was doing it wrong. She is now left handed. Oh - I'm only three years older than her, so it wasn't like I was beating a child. (I also got her to walk early b/c I would drag her everywhere I went)
  22. CompUser Guest

I am mostly right handed but partially left handed.

For writing I am right handed, but I can write neater in cursive with my left hand.

I play lacrosse left handed, same goes for any sport with a stick except baseball and golf (different grip).

In soccer I can pass and do fakes well with both my left and right feet. Shooting is pretty accurate with my left but not as strong.

If I pick up a basketball I automatically dribble it with my left hand, but I am really bad at left handed lay ups.
  23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Did he draw with both hands at the same time or alternate?

I've been wanting to practice that.

I am right handed but I am trying to become ambidextrous. I didn't realize how much I had come to depend on my left hand until I cut it open a couple weeks back.
  24. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'm right handed.

Always made me wonder why my left hand has to all the fast 'walking' on the violin. Psh. Makes no sense to me.
  25. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Both hands simultaneously. Quite cool to watch, a bit like watching a plotter draw 'cause it doesn't draw each object just the next convenient line.