Right out of Hollywood - Bank Robber was forced to do it then killed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So the Bank Robber delivered a pizza to a remote location where it seems someone forcibly placed a locking neck collar attached to a bomb around his neck. I'm guessing he was told if he didn't rob the bank it would explode, etc.

So he robs the bank, gets caught by the police and before the bomb team can arrive the bomb explodes, taking off his head.

The police are looking for leads - they haven't much to go on.

Weirdness in the extreme!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/09/02/pizza.bomb/index.html

D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, that collar was a unique piece of work too. Someone really knew what they were doing building that thing. And the whole thing with his co-worker overdosing shortly afterward just makes it weirder. Not a good way to rob a bank IMHO.

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Is there any history of bomb collars. I recently saw an episode of CSI in which bomb collars were used. Very nasty stuff. It would be interesting to know if such devices have actually been used in real life before this.

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

What a way to go.

How sad for him and his family. Could you imagine having that thing on your neck, sitting by yourself in front of a police car, not knowing if your head was going to explode?

Thats hell.:(

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-agreenster

Especially hearing the ticking the whole time.

What pains me about this is the officials said there was "nothing they could do". They could have let him complete his mission, have the perp remove the collar, then arrest him.

But instead we have one dead innocent man, and no leads as to who did this. This is applicable, of course, if he wasn't the perp himself.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

That collar looked like a giant hand-cuff.

I'm surprised the guy didn't have a heart attack, but he was probably hoping it was a fake. At least it was over quickly...

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Can anyone explain why they just didn't follow the guy back ?

Um... yeah.

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I doubt that there was any ticking. If there was a timer it was probably digital, but did it have a timer, or just a remote?

9. avus macrumors regular

Re: Right out of Hollywood - Bank Robber was forced to do it then killed

Mr. Anderson, please correct the the first paragraph in your post, as it is now believed that it wasn't the "Bank Robber" who delivered the pizza, but a poor pizza delivery person was just victimized and instructed to rob the bank in this horrific crime. It is just sad that someone is so sick not only to come up with this plot, but actually make a sophisticated device for it.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's what I implied - didn't realize it wasn't clear. That's what's so messed up about this.

You have to wonder how the collar came to be around his neck and who was controlling the whole thing. Was the bomb timed to explode or detonated remotely.

Its nuts and very scary.....

D

11. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

It was timed, and the man did hear ticking, he said so before he died.

12. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Didn't hear about that - is there a link with more on the story. That's not right - it would drive you nuts....and I can imagine the cops were probably quite freaked as well.

D

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, if it was timed, then there wasn't really any incentive to rob the bank, was there? That is, unless it was ALSO remotely controlled.

If time was just a-ticking and the "real perp" had no control over it, this guy should have just gone to the cops and gotten the collar removed.

This is clever, though. The perp didn't get his cash, but he also didn't leave much evidence behind (if any).

14. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Oh, man. Is there a movie twist that comes close to this? The part in "Creepshow" where the man and woman are buried in sand up to their necks and watch (and taste) the tide come in is the first horrific plot that comes to mind.

About the ticking...I'm sure the guy's heartbeat was louder.

Squire