Right, Thats IT!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EGT, Mar 31, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Its been nearly a year since my transition to macs, but time and time again, I’ve given this [expletive removed] computer chance after chance but this is it!! There is something VERY wrong with my computer and i just DONT know what it is, and unless i get it resolved VERY soon, i am going to brake it up into tiny pieces and chuck it out the window!

Basically, for that past few months, i've been getting 2-3 kernel panics, as some of you may know … weekly(sometimes more), always in the "wee" hours, but on occasion, they just seem to happen randomly.

At first, i thought it was my ISDN adaptor drivers, and i have been in contact with draytek (the ISDN adpt. manufacturer) PERSONALLY and they can't reproduce the errors i am getting.

I've tried to enjoy the transition over to Macs, really i have, but the whole "experience" has been plagued with problems from the start and i just can't take it anymore! :mad: :mad: I can see perfectly why some people think they're brilliant, but the reality is, it just doesn't happen with everyone and I’m pissed that its happening to me, and how do i know it won't happen again!?!?!?!

When i first ordered my computer, Apple sent TWO ... TWO!! powerbooks!, at first i thought "wow, 2 for one" but of course, they charged me for BOTH and a few days later i sent the other one back ...

Sometimes i sit here, thinking "god, what if i kept the other computer and sent THIS piece of [expetive removed] back" how much easier would my life be in regards to computers.... argh!!!

Don’t get me started on the problems I’ve had these past few months…
    The hinge on the screen of my pb cracks, EXTERMELY loudly, every time i move it, so i tend to just leave it alone ... completely defeating the purpose of a portable computer, because I just have to leave it on my [expletive removed] desk!

The right USB port makes Noises ... YES noises! when i put a USB lead into it. It somehow doesn't seem like its connected to the logic board correctly or something, its very, very loose ...

The sleep light, is no more! It is so dim, its no longer a "sleep light" ... its more of a "dead light". I think my computer is just dieing a slow and painful death, and, at this point in time, the thought of putting it out of its misery with gravity’s help is looking quite attractive.

I've done everything I can to try and resolve the issues I’ve had, disk utility, reinstall OS X, brute force, etc etc but I couldn’t give a [expletive removed] anymore!

I didn’t get applecare, but I really wish I did now! It’s obvious; i can't continue to use this thing for much longer, because i just don't know how much longer it has to go!

So, what to do. New computer or fork out to repair this one?

Is the powerbook made from aviation grade aluminium? Maybe I can make a few bucks if I sell it.

ahh that feels better!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Have you opened up the Console utility to see the logfiles? In particular, in /var/log, kp.log will tell you about kernel panics, and the possible culprit.

Also, have you run the Hardware Test CD to see if you possibly have bad RAM, or something similar?

When you reinstalled OS X, did you do a clean install?

I feel your pain,
    Lee Tom

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Is it right that it's less than a year old? You are still under warranty if so, and can still get Applecare.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What's with all the drama queens lately? :rolleyes:

Just call Applecare or visit your neighborhood Apple Store (if available).

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Like the last person said, you don't need to take this like you do on a PC. Call Apple, tell them whats up, it sounds like you have major problem that they will help you fix. You seem to have gotten a bad piece of hardware, which doesn't happen as often on the PC side.

6. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

"com.draytek.driver.xUTA(1.0.0d1)@0x50e000" kept croping up under the kernel panic logs, so i contacted Draytek, sent them my system profile, but they couldn't see were the problem was.

This is the whole log from last night which sent me batty; Sorry about btw :p

Fri Apr 1 02:05:26 2005

Unresolved kernel trap(cpu 0): 0x300 - Data access DAR=0x0000000000000060 PC=0x000000000049EE94
    Latest crash info for cpu 0:
    Exception state (sv=0x29FEDC80)
    PC=0x0049EE94; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x00000060; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x0049D5E0; R1=0x177B3C60; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
    Backtrace:
    0x000382F4 0x0049D5E0 0x000CE800 0x002232D8 0x002463E4 0x00094160 0x00000000
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d20)@0x49a000
    Proceeding back via exception chain:
    previously dumped as "Latest" state. skipping...
    Exception state (sv=0x2A4F7000)
    PC=0x9002C4EC; MSR=0x0000D930; DAR=0x21664004; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x9009365C; R1=0xBFFFF9B0; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 7.8.0:
    Wed Dec 22 14:26:17 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.11.1.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

panic(cpu 0): 0x300 - Data access
    Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
    Backtrace:
    0x000835F8 0x00083ADC 0x0001EDA4 0x00090BD8 0x00093FCC
    Proceeding back via exception chain:
    PC=0x0049EE94; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x00000060; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x0049D5E0; R1=0x177B3C60; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
    Backtrace:
    0x000382F4 0x0049D5E0 0x000CE800 0x002232D8 0x002463E4 0x00094160 0x00000000
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d20)@0x49a000
    Exception state (sv=0x2A4F7000)
    PC=0x9002C4EC; MSR=0x0000D930; DAR=0x21664004; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x9009365C; R1=0xBFFFF9B0; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 7.8.0:
    Wed Dec 22 14:26:17 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.11.1.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

I've ran the hardware test twice, and everything appears to be clean. I installed a new 512 module of RAM months and months ago, and it was fine for a while so i don't think its the RAM that's the problem. I've noticed that these hard crashes sometimes happen just after i've connected something through firewire, but not all the time. Would this be a logic board problem?

Yep, clean install of OS X. Zero all data on my hard drive then installed and updated to 10.3.8, being very careful about installing 3rd party software.

It's the most frustrating thing in the world when your computer doesn't work properly. I'm just being sure to back everything up twice, just in case...

I'll wait a while before contacting Apple.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Tell me about it, I know how you feel.

Hope you feel better after venting :D ..hope the PB works better from now on, too.

8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Why wait? Unless youre like me and leave things until the '11th hour'. :eek:

9. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Exactly. Wait until things are really REALLY bad, then do something about it! :p

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Hey, sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. I haven't gone into your story in depth, but I had many of the same problems with my Ti Powerbook 15inch.

The first problem I had was that the battery got jammed in. yeh, jammed. It's a reported problem apparently, and apple wanted 3 weeks to fix. I needed it for my exams and so I was forced to keep it and force the battery out. It worked -for about ten minutes. Anyway, I decided it was somthing I could live with. Then the hinge cracked (and I read this was the first sign of a broken hinge) then the LCD Light broke and went VERY faint, then I noticed about 10 dead pixels and then the worst happened ; a Kernel panick just as you describe. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it was a file i downloaded from iTunes music store that did it (I sent it to a friend using Windows and it crashed her iTunes too!!) and I lost all my data. Apple wanted to charge me £30 for a phone call to help me fix the error even though it was their file corruption that caused my issues, and they were nothing but unhelpful until I threatened legal action and they assisted me to get my computer back in order.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I sold it. Ebay for £750! I did pretty well, expecially seems as i now have an iBook with a higher processor speed, better build, better screen and I have to say, I prefer the look and feel. I think the 15" Ti obviously had some serious issues. Cut your losses, buy an ibook and it will last for a good couple of years. Then replace it with a G6 floating mercury Extreme book!

11. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Thanks for your reply. I've been thinking about selling this powerbook on Ebay. I'll wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install. I'm not sure if I’ll be able to get it sold with the screens hinge the way it is :confused: Its not serious or anything, but I’d be worried of someone getting annoyed and wanting their money back.
    If anyone here wants it, i'd be happy to help you btw :p

I DO realise things like this are very rare, but when it happens to you ... argh! no way of describing how annoying it is! I've been restarting my computer every night at about 10, 11 o clock, and there have been no panics for a few days. I suppose the hinge isn't a big deal, and the USB port still works, but its shakey ... ohh, and the plastic above the CD drive is sticking out a bit, and it makes irritating noises when i'm typing (the gap between plastic/metal, not the CD drive) so in terms of build quality, any sane person would be outraged ... but I don't mind. It’s the fact that OS X is playing up takes the biscuit!

Here’s hoping Tiger solves the problem (which I still think is related to Drayteks Mini Vigor ISDN Adaptor Drivers)

12. john_satc macrumors 6502

slightly ot but im lost - what is a kernel panic?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

14. john_satc macrumors 6502

15. altair macrumors regular

I would have returned it about 8 months ago. If your getting all these problems and no one can figure them out, both hardware and OS related, something is wrong, its not acting the way it should, so you should get it repaired.

If its still within a year of you buying it, then you shoulda sent it in imediatly, no sense getting frustrated with it when it can just be fixed, and done with.

So for the love of god send it in :p

16. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

OK

I'll ring apple tomorrow, see what they can do.

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

No kidding. I'm reading over the symptoms and all I can think is that after the first sign of an "issue" I would have been on the phone with Apple that same day looking for a swapout. If you aren't trying to resolve the obvious hardware issues with Apple then there really isn't anything to complain about.

18. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Yeah, I'm like this with everything. I didn't want to send it back at first because it was a new computer, new experiance etc. I just didn't think at all and I'm paying for it now. No one to blame but myself.

Anyway, i'll ring apple, tell them whats going on and see what they can do.

I think it was May 04 when it first arrived :eek:

19. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Let us know what Apple says. In my experience they were nothing but useless! It seems they just don't want to loose money. In my experience, Solicitors letters did very little - but good luck. You do deserve to have this problem sorted. If it is any consolation, the products of late are much improved; I think you have to expect to put up with a little bit in return for some of the most innovative computers to be in our hands. I mean, lets face it; if we all owned Sony Vaio's or somthing, the paint would be coming off, we'd have MASSIVE screen clips keeping the damn thing shut (what is WITH those!) Dodgy heavy keyboards, terrible processors and not to mention Spyware and Viruses! I say take the trip to eBay if Apple can't do anything. Describe it as it is, and get the best price you can. you won't complain when you have a shiny new iBook or powerbook in your hands! Good luck.

20. tjmcardl macrumors newbie

tjmcardl

EGT -

I had a similar problem with my ibook G4 last year. I had installed a 512 MB ram chip from crucial.com and everything was fine for a month or two. Then the kernel panics and system wide freezes started... They only came once a week or so at first but they accelrated to two or three times a day. The ram passed the hardware test everytime, but as soon as I pulled it out the problems stopped. Crucial replaced the ram without a fuss and it's been working fine ever since.

-Tim

21. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

That sounds very familiar. I ordered from crucial as well. The thing is, i'm not getting any system freezes. I don’t think i've had anything freeze on me at all, and i've had this computer for nearly a year. kernel panics is a completely different story.

Did you look under the panic logs to see if anything abnormal showed up?
    "com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily(6.0.1d20)@0x49a000" seems to show up a lot for me these days.

I think it's still best i contact apple. I'm sure they have more advanced ways of doing a full system check to see whats what.

22. K2` macrumors member

hey... mine does this creaking thing too.. its quite annoying.. should i get it fixed right away? does anybody have this problem? is it common? i have applecare.

thx

23. arribadia macrumors member

eBay!

You'll be surprised at the number of people who'd jump up to buy a polished turd :D

24. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Ok ...

Just off the phone to apple support. Unfortunately, the powerbook is just outside of its warranty (19th of March, bah!!). I didn't realise it took so long to arrive. I didn’t have it until late April/early May!
    Anyway, they could only provide me with the 5-day software support for £35, so I didn't bother. The support guy gave me a few numbers of local mac dealers and i already have a few noted down.

So I can either;

1) Take it to one of the dealers and have them test it to see whats up. Need to ring about and see how much this will cost.

2) Take out the *potentially* dodgy ram, although, I think it's unlikely that its bad.

3) Sell on EBay and buy new shiny 17" HD when they arrive :p

4) Do nothing (4 days since last kernel panic ... I hope the problem has gone away ... but again, unlikely. It has been running pretty sweet these past few days actually.)

K2: From the other posts here i think its pretty clear that you should ring up and ask them to sort the problem out. Don't leave it for a year like me! With applecare you should be fine.

25. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

5) See if you get any kernel panics without the ISDN adapter plugged in.