Right, this is annoying - firefox and MR problem

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jive, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

When I try to click on "Mac Forums > Mac Hardware > Mac Basics and Help" at the top of this page it will ALWAYS take me back to the main forum page that lists all the forums.

Why? How do I stop it? An extension?

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It works ok for me too, in both Safari and Firefox.

If you try it again (go to main forum page, click Mac Hardware, click Mac Basics and Help), what URL do you end up with in the address bar?

What happens if you go to the main forum page and click the Mac Basics and Help link (skipping the Mac Hardware step)?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Where are you clicking exactly?

If you're clicking on one of the folder icons, note that if you hover the mouse pointer over the top most icon, it says "Go Back" and will take you all the way up. The other says "Reload this page" but the links are separate and should show the URL including the forum number in the status bar at the bottom of the browser.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I had the same problem! It was a Firefox extension, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was...

6. dcv macrumors G3

Sounds like a layout/stylesheet issue to me. Has anyone been playing with the site code?

If you look at the attached pic there is a dashed-edge box that appears around that area... looks to me to be roughly the same size as the clickable hotspot around the main MacRumors:Forums image. i.e. the hotspot area has 'shifted' downwards.

(I know what I mean but probably not explaining it very well!!)

7. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I understood, so that should mean that the 99.999% of less-dyslexic-than-skoker members should comprendo as wello :cool:

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I remember this (or something similar with the logo) happening once in the past, and it had to do with the Demi ad blocking.

Jive, are you using any ad blocker? Does the problem go away if you turn it off?

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It sound like it is due to an adblocker... which is easy... the answer is stop blocking ads. :)

for obvious reasons, we can't condone ad blockers. If you want a sanctioned method for removing ads, you can subscribe to an Ad-free version here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/payments.php

arn

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I suspect that it wasn't Adblock because that was running on Firefox when I tried to re-create the problem but perhaps Adblock Plus, which is the same but totally different.

11. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I have a problem with icons changing for no reason in firefox. Like sometimes the "quote" button icon becomes a tiger. Not to mention what the smiley faces turn into. Don't know why it happens. Happened on two systems of mine.

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

For me, it happened when I used the unofficial alternate style sheet created by a user in this forum (sorry, i can't remember who)...which leads me to believe that it was grease monkey, and not AdBlock.