Right time to buy a Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BrSmith, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    #1
    Hi,

    My first post after lurking for over a year.

    I have had a 12 inch powerbook for a year (was a long time pc user) and am now thinking of getting the 1.83 Mac Mini to move even more to the Mac side.

    Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts if now is a good time to buy. Not to worried about the upgrade cycle, although would be annoyed if they came up with something new in a couple of weeks, more concerned with any problems with the early versions of the intel macs. Biggest problem I see with the minis is the poor airport reception. Is it that bad...bad enough to wait for revision 3?

    Graphics...it wont be used for games, so not worried about that. But I do want to view HD content on my TV, is it good enough to handle that?

    Thanks in advance, and feel free to add any other thoughts on something I might be missing .:)

    Br
     
  2. macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #2
    You might as well get one now since they just upgraded the base machine from 1 cpu to 2. The dual 1.66 sounds perfect for you and its HD ready if you will. Whats stopping you?
     
  3. macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #3
    I got one, I would get one if I have to choose again.

    You are right about the Airport reception though, guess it is the side effect of having the antenna encased in metal.
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    SpankyPenzaanz

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #4
    the night time is the right time
    the night time is the right time
    the night time is the right time
     
  5. macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    There are supposed to be some BIG price cuts coming to the Core Duo chip in October, so Apple need to drop the price on the Mini.
     
  6. macrumors 603

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #6
    Of course, When the price cuts happen, they'll change something to keep it the same price.

    I wish they were still $499, when they had PPC chips. I'm asking my parents for the 1.66 mini for christmas, but its a 50-50 chance they'll change something before then...
     
  7. macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #7
    I doubt Mini will get anything different until March 07
     
  8. macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #8
    If you are really a penny snitcher you'd probably want to wait till at least least MWSF so as to get a free copy of iLife. However the real penny snitchers just download it off Bittorrent :rolleyes:

    The Minis at this time next year will be quite a sight to behold though, especially with the new Meroms and the x3000 integrated graphics chip.
     
  9. macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9
    Since you do not plan to use your Mac Mini for gaming, I think the current 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini would work quite nicely for you BrSmith. :)
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    Lollypop

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #10

    mmm... interesting... I wonder if Apple will really drop the mini prices? How much will intel be dropping the core duo prices?
     
  11. macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #11
    Just as a reference a similar price cut occurred in May, Apple continued to fleece off its old prices all the way until recently...

    Apple is not a charity, they are accountable to nobody!
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    Lollypop

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #12
    until recently indeed, all im asking is how much intel will drop the prices, even if Apple doesnt reduce the prices the people that want to upgrade their solo's will have a better deal!
     
  13. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    #13
    I have had no Airport reception problem at all with my 1.66 CD Mini purchased in July. I can easily pick up the signal from my Airport Express Station on the floor below (and it gives me full signal amplitude). I can warmly recommend the current Mini - haven't noticed any issues with it.

    Of course, 1.83 vs 1.66 won't matter much - it's mostly Superdrive vs Combodrive. I'd opt for Superdrive if you haven't already got one on your PB.
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #14
    I think it's a good time to buy. They were recently updated and you won't see a revision for a while.

    Go ahead and make the purchase :)
     
  15. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    #15
    Thanks all, I'm going to go ahead and get one.
     
  16. macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #16

    I think you made a smart choice, enjoy your Mac Mini when you get it. :)
     
  17. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Atlanta, Ga
    #17
    So the Minis that people think will be out next year will have a better gpu? So for a lite gamer, I still play a few games that are a few years old (Being in grad school leaves me no time to play the newest games), next years mini will allow me to do this. I have a PC Desktop I have had since my freshman year of college and it is starting to show its age. I just ordered a Macbook for school but would like to get a Mac Desktop and use bootcamp for my lite windows needs. I guess it sounds like I should wait till next year and look into a mac desktop. I wish they had a nice headless desktop. I have a nice LCD panel now so that is why I am looking at the Minis.
    WDE
     

Share This Page