Right time to buy a PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by etiennelj, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. etiennelj macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2005
    Hi! I'm planning to buy a PowerMac G5 for a quite long time now, but some mac-freak-friends are telling me to wait at least after the Apple Expo in Paris that will be held in a month. Do you really think that Apple will announce system upgrades or lowered prices at this expo? When do you think the time will be right to buy a PowerMac G5? I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!!


  2. switchr92 macrumors member

    Aug 2, 2005

    It is widely expected at the expo for apple to introduce the first dual-core G5s, so if they did but you didn't wait, u'd have to kick yourself in the ass saying, "why do I lack any patience?". so WAIT, trust me, u won't regret it.
  3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    There is only 4 weeks till the Paris Expo. I would hold off. Unless you are a student and want to take advantage of either the iPod deal or printer deal, there is no reason not to wait. The Powerbook will definitely be updated and probably the PowerMac as well seeing how they are drawing up on the 6 month average.
  4. echeck macrumors 68000


    Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree with the others here, unless you absolutely need a new computer then I would wait one more month and see what happens.
  5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000


    Mar 21, 2003
    Well, it depends on your budget. If you are planning on buying a top-of-the-line PM, then definitely WAIT. If you were going to get he cheap one, then I don't think it really matters that much. You might save a few bucks by waiting, but it isn't guaranteed that there will be an update next month.

  6. lopresmb macrumors 6502

    Apr 29, 2005
    if you like the current machines, check out the refurb ones on the apple page,


    wait the month and see if they come out with dual core stuff in which case the current DP will go on clearance, or get a new one depending on budget.
    --as long as you've been waiting might as well wait 30 more days, but don't wait a year, unless you really don't need a computer, cause at that point you'll be waiting for the intel machines.
  7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2005
    It really depends on how urgently you need one! If you are in dire need, get one, if not, and if you have the patience, wait! I couldn't do it!!!!
  8. etiennelj thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2005

Share This Page