Right Wing Media Flak: Worst Case Scenario

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 28, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://mediamatters.org/items/200501280001

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Add a 3rd commentator who took money to push Administration policies without disclosing the fact to their readers to the list...

I'll post the entire Salon article since I know how some of you feel about registrations.
    What liberal media?

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Slightly OT, but reading the Wash Post Article mentioned, I noticed that Ms Gallager, a marriage "expert" is not married. I just found that funny for some reason.

Carry on.

*edit* I guess she is married...curious she was referred to as ms. hmm

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I wish we could catch the administration all the unethical and illegal stuff they do, impeach, and jail them.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gallagher was on the NewsHour last night, defending herself. I thought she made some good points in her own behalf, but she certainly had a hard time complying with the NewsHour's normal rules of decorum, which is that you make your point, and then shut up and let others make theirs (especially when the moderator urges you to yield). She kept blowing through one stop sign after another, much to the obvious frustration of the usually unflappable Gwen Ifill.

Anyway, the Gannon case is quite different. He seems to be nothing more than a hack, and a pure undiluted hypocrite besides. And he gets invited to join the White House press corps? Now, that says something about the standards being set by the press office.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I seem to recall the WH saying Armstrong Williams, when the story involving him broke, was the only opinion they'd purchased.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know that they've paid Gannon anything. He's a willing volunteer hack.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

MMFA also has an interesting rundown on who makes up Talon News here.

Can you imagine the right wingnuttery outrage if Democratic activists were linked to any media organization? They might even consider it proof of a liberal media bias...

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In fact they are nothing but Republican political activists. Has anyone with this type of background and lack of credentials ever been invited to join the White House Press Corp before? (Anybody who hasn't checked out the linked article should do so -- it kind of takes your breath away.)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, we now know that Judith Miller, an 'expert' on marital fidelity during the Clinton impeachment, was seeing a married man, so I guess practicing what you preach isn't a requirement for the 'morals' crowd.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Let me see...the only thing actually keeping Congress from launching an impeachment investigation is...

is...uh...

...um...

...Can I get back to you on that?

12. pdham macrumors member

While I think it sucks that media outlets are so lazy now-a-days, and it is especially disheartening when it happens regarding party politics, the practice of lifting info directly from media packets (fact sheets, bio pages, press releasses) is not that uncommon. In this case it may have something to do with a bias of the organization, but in general it has more to do with money and ease. In that the republicans are in power and they spoon feed (as every admin does) the press their info. If the press wants to increase profit margins they listen and use that info, unfortunately sometimes verbatim.

Paul

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've seen similar things done in syndicated newspaper automobile reviews (never read a negative one yet!).

I expect a little more integrity and hard work from someone who gets to sit in the same room with real journalists and ask the president questions.

The fact that he can't be bothered to write his own propaganda is what I find most troubling.

It shows even the eager ********ters lack the conviction and work ethic to spend more than 15 minutes on their cause.

If it weren't sharply indicative of the state of our democracy, I'd be insulted by the laziness.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What's more, Talon apparently exists for the sole purpose of making Republicans look good and parroting support for their policies. They aren't a news organization by any reasonable definition of the term, yet they've been invited to join the White House press corps. This one goes beyond laziness (which I acknowledge exists in the media), crossing well over the line to propaganda and disinformation.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I agree, but what I find troubling is that this laziness is inherent even in the propagandists.

Even bona fide dictatorships, with their iron grip on information distribution, put more effort into brainwashing the public.

To me, it's symptomatic of the larger problem in society: democratic apathy. The Bush administration doesn't even bother to cover-up its blatant lies and deception because they're confident no one will care enough to do anything about them; they've been proven right.
    Likewise, administration and party hacks don't even bother to write their own copy for propaganda efforts.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's not a stretch to say that Americans have become fat, spoiled and lazy.

But the level of apathy is becoming a threat to everything that led to such a comfortable lifestyle.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

White House-friendly reporter under scrutiny

Not sure who's doing the scrutinizing besides unnamed 'critics' but...
    Link

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

OK, now it gets strange...

From Dkos:
    Weird stuff. And yet this guy gets a daily WH press pass.

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yikes. Is this source good, or are tinfoil hats required?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Actually, the aforementioned David Brock (himself gay) said in one of his books that the right contains quite a few closet gays who manage to convince themselves that their lifestyle doesn't contradict their political beliefs. Guess you can make yourself believe anything.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh my.

http://www.jeffgannon.com/

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

23. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or should we say, "Jeff." Whatever his name is, he's a first-order coward.

I wonder how much (not whether) his keepers in the White House Press Office had to do with getting this major embarrassment back into the, um... closet.

24. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The complete rundown on James K. Guckert aka "Jeff Gannon" can be found here:

http://www.americablog.org/

On the one hand, this guy's privacy is being invaded by bloggers digging out all sorts of details about his life. But on the other, I have to wonder how a non-journalist working under a false name could be granted pass to White House press conferences. Don't they screen people?

This story is not over, that's for certain. It's starting to get picked up by the major media outlets.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is just too weird. And not only is this outing going on, apparently this guy is tied into the Valerie Plame stuff. The more that comes out about this, the creepier it gets. And if the allegations are true, the WH has been seriously over the line WRT journalists. The implications between the Williams et. al and the possibility that the WH may have been using a plant in their press briefings are grave indeed.