RIM's BlackBerry Loses Top Spot to iPhone in its Home Canadian Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that Apple's iPhone surpassed RIM's BlackBerry as the number one in Canadian smartphone shipments in 2011. RIM is based in Canada and has had strong loyalty amongst its customers.
    RIM has been on a decline since the launch of the iPhone and Android platforms with sales and profits dropping. RIM's worldwide numbers have been dropping precipitously in contrast to significant grown from iOS and Android.

Article Link: RIM's BlackBerry Loses Top Spot to iPhone in its Home Canadian Market
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2012
    the only surprising thing about this is that RIM was actually still in first place somewhere hehe :D
  3. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2010
  4. macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Yup. I think RIM is about well done. Matter of fact, they have been done for a while now.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2010
    Blackberry has absolutely no shot of return to the top, ever
  6. macrumors member

May 4, 2011
    Remember when people insisted on a hard QWERTY? LOL!
  7. macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2011
    San Juan, PR
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2010
  9. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. There's really nothing they can do at this point. I can't imagine being in a position like that. What else do they do?
  10. macrumors 6502

May 3, 2006
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2007
    the 13 colonies
    The blackberry crop will only continue to rot even further....
  12. macrumors 68040

Sep 21, 2008
    What did Rim think would happen producing the same handset over and over and over again giving it minor hardware improvements and a somewhat different numbered name? No innovation on their part. When they did have something different, they became complacent. BB Storm anyone? BB Playbook?

Sorry Rim but you can't just wait for something to happen, you have to MAKE IT HAPPEN! Good bye :)
  13. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2008
  14. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    Goodbye RIM, we'll RIMmember your Blackberries in a museum.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2009
    No, RIM can recover but their only shot is to innovate their way out of their quagmire. But in the short term their best opportunity is a strategic partnership with a big player similar to what Microsoft is attempting with Nokia.
  16. macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    So many people on this forum are taking pleasure in what will eventually amount to a lot of job losses :(
  17. Shrink, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012

macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    Sounds like RIM may not be long for this world if they can't sell well in their own country.

Of course, we all know that those Canadians really want to be Americans!!:rolleyes: :D

(Oh boy...here it comes. :eek:)
  18. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2007
    Many thought the same about Apple in the 90's. Not saying it will, but with the right kind of leadership they could have a nice turnaround. Current leadership is what's killing them now.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2012
    I recall distinctly - users will not buy an iPhone because there is no QWERTY keyboard of some sort to physically type on.

When android phones had a keyboard, people targeted the iPhone and said it would fail because it has no physical keyboard. Now nearly all new android devices don't even have a physical keyboard.

They use to complain about the physical home button on the iPhone as well. Now near all android devices use the same similar home button.

Followers will always follow and survive. Those that don't follow or innovate (like RIM) will just fade into oblivion and die off.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2011
    To be honest, I really wanted to buy a 9900 late last year after just buying my 4S. It really looked cool and it had that iPhone 4 allure when it was launched, don't know why.
    Unfortunately it had huge issues with battery and software. Pitty..

And no matter fanboys say, QWERTY is still the way to go if you are into texting. After more than a year after my touch transition, I still cannot type as fast as on my Nokia E71.
    I had 4.3 phone, 4.0 phone and iPhone(s).
    I was sometimes typing faster than on my laptop. People were oftently asking me if I was home typing from my laptop lol.

I think I will get a 9900 when it will reach some 150-200$ value. It's nice to have a piece of history and I also miss the qwerty.
    I still love my iPhone though the most.
  21. macrumors 68020

Jan 5, 2012
    The thing that iOS and Android have over Blackberry is this: Apps. You can actually code a decent application with iOS or Android.

Try editing a photo on a tiny, low-res, non-touch screen BB, or coding a good video editor app that will run smoothly. Even BlackBerry's own app world is laggy on my phone.

What new handsets, software and OSes are RIM releasing to solve these problems? Anything? No.

I use it only for texts and calls. Will buy an iPod touch asap to get all the usable, productive iOS apps.
  22. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    That is one ugly building.

And to cap it off, coloured in three shades of *****. ;)
  23. macrumors member

Aug 3, 2011
    Agreed they have a snowball's chance in hell of returning back to the top, however I believe they have a chance at becoming a strong number three. Their Playbook is actually really nice after the 2.0 OS upgrade. It addresses the obvious shortcomings such as the missing email app, allows easy porting over of Android apps, and beats the crap out of iOS for multitasking. It's a steal for the $200 they sell it for now. The major issue is the lack of apps comparatively speaking, so hopefully the easy Android porting helps to solve this. Their new phones are going to be a merging of the Playbook OS and the Blackberry OS (QNX with a more Blackberry feel) and they will have models comparable to iPhone and top Android phones specification wise. I'm hoping the best for them because the more competition the better.
  24. macrumors 68020

Aug 29, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh how quickly we forget... To all the people saying that RIM is doomed, Apple was much MUCH closer to doom back in 1997 than RIM is today. RIM is still highly profitable, but yes, they've obviously lost marketshare.

Though I was never interested in any of their products, it was nice having a successful Canadian company that wasn't bought out by a larger American company, at least for a few years. :rolleyes: Oh how I miss ATI and Nortel.
  25. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2009
    Der Wald
    The Rise and Fall of Tech Empires

seems to be quickening...