Ringer Volume button doesn't make iPhone 4S completely slient

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John Greer, Oct 15, 2011.

1. macrumors member

John Greer

My new iPhone 4S has only been out of the box for 18 hours, but I already love it. It's a far change from my BB :D

Going to bed last night, I tried lowering the volume to zero, like I would do with my iPod Touch, but the iPhone would only lower to one notch (almost silent). I had to flip the silent/vibrate button and modify the Silent settings to not vibrate while silent. I don't like this solution, because many times I want to put the phone on Silent and Vibrate mode.

How can I get the volume to lower to zero?

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 65816

woodekm

Yea. I wish there was a "completely" silent mode. I can still hear my phone vibrate from across the room. Think you need to set up a silent ringtone. Wish there was one, and it was easy to access on the fly.

4. thread starter macrumors member

John Greer

According to what I read last night, the flip button on top of the volume up/down buttons is to switch to Silent Mode. Silent mode is then defined in Settings (actual silent or silent with vibrate).

Remember, I'm new to iPhones and you can't always believe what you read...

5. macrumors regular

What I did before going to bed was turn airplane mode on before going to bed.

6. thread starter macrumors member

John Greer

Hmmm, I'll try that. Thanks!

7. macrumors regular

Has there been any hacks to change this? I had the original iPhone and you could hit the volume button and the ringer would be completely silent and not vibrate. I did this when I slept. Much easier then going into the sound settings and turning vibrate off and back on each night/morning.

8. macrumors newbie

Flip the ringer switch which is right above the up and down volume buttons on the left side of the phone to off. There will be no call or tone sounds at all. If u want to kill the vibrate also .just click settings and slide the tab next to vibrate over to OFF.Now ur phone is totally silent

9. macrumors 68000

pooleman

You can turn off the vibrate function in settings under "sounds". I always turn off the vibrate functions on my iPhone. Then the silent button will truly be a silent button.