Riorden sticks his foot in his mouth...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

That's one of those things that just seems weird. I'm not mad, niether was the girl or her mom.

But in the end, the media will beat the hell out of it, bleeding hearts will cry about it, someone will make a buck from it, while I just wonder, "Huh?"

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

People in that position of power should have better sense. It says a lot about their lack of character, and they should not be rewarded with state income.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Blah, blah, blah. Seriously. This is a one-day story in Southern California, whence Riorden hails. The NAACP is trying to make more of it, but around here everybody knows that Riorden makes kind of a habit of oral podiatry. It was a dumb thing to say, Riorden admitted as much. Done, over.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's a bizarre story, to be sure, especially for those of us who don't know anything about this guy. Here was the part of the story that was especially funny to me as an outsider:
    Apparently Riordan's statement was only outrageous to the assemblyman when he thought Isis was an African-American girl.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Riorden is basically a decent guy with an unfortunate tendency to occasionally engage his mouth before putting his brain in gear. His apology seemed to be sincere, so that should be the end of the story, and I think it will be.

7. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Sorry, but if a teacher did that s/he would lose their job! Riorden is a JA if you ask me. I still am in shock that an adult would say such an evil thing to a child!

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You said it best!

What ever would get a teacher fired, should be enough for the leader of the district or the state.

BTW, we had a situation in Alexandria, Virginia where the head of the school system was caught DWI/DUI. What would happen to a teacher in the same situation?

Many years ago there was a "morals" clauses for teachers and such jobs. Because of changes in the law, such information is harder to use to use against an individual.

9. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Pretty sure they wouldn't lose their job. Unless that is a felony :confused:

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Do you think that the leader of a school district should be handled o to higher standard?

11. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Held to a higher standard? No. I don't think they should lose their job for a DUI/DWI. I think they need help! Firing them is just going to make things worse, not help.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's a certain President who likely benefits from your DUI forgiveness.

As for getting him help, I wonder where they sent Rush?

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How would a teacher be handled?

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From my understanding of private info there are limits of what can be told. Whether it can go back 30 years is another matter.

Another matter is whether a political candidate has any privacy.

15. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm only guessing but.... depends on what happens in the legal system. If there are no charges brought then I'm guessing nothing. Possibly a recommendation for counseling and figuring out if this is a first time thing or a habit (being intoxicated).

As I understand a teacher can't be a teacher if they've been convicted of a crime or possibly only a felony. Although there may be a statute of limitations on that...

Again, only guessing...

16. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Don't get me started ;)